Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
When I ordered the update, I had to provide the Uconnect version information. The map update can only be installed on the latest Uconnect software version. If you don't have the latest, it is included as a separate update to install before the map update. If not done in the correct order, it will brick the head unit.

I ordered primarily to get the Uconnect update. I don't use the NAV very often. I use Android Auto and Google maps.
Interesting. if it's that 'sensitive' then I'm surprised it's not a routine dealer done item.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
The phone does provide better options, as long as the cellular coverage is available.
If you know ahead of time that you’ll be in area with poor cellular coverage, some apps like google maps, allow you to download map coverage before the trip. Your phones, gps is always on regardless of cellular coverage and it will navigate through it just fine. I did this in Germany a long time ago whilst trying to conserve data usage.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. if it's that 'sensitive' then I'm surprised it's not a routine dealer done item.
Dealer updates to the Uconnect software are only done on an 'as-needed' basis, such as recalls. The Uconnect updates will fix some behavioral issues, like the SiriusXM Favorites. There's a greater chance of having the unit bricked by a dealer tech not paying attention.

The Uconnect software that is shipped on the head unit is adequate for the lifetime of the unit. The supplier of the map update only works with the latest version. They do not provide a catalog of updates to match head units. If you order the map update, you are likely to get a Uconnect update. Some, like me, order the map update just to get the Uconnect update (which does not require serial number validation to install, like the map update).

The 'brick the head unit' warning comes from the map update supplier, probably as a CYA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Dealer updates to the Uconnect software are only done on an 'as-needed' basis, such as recalls. The Uconnect updates will fix some behavioral issues, like the SiriusXM Favorites. There's a greater chance of having the unit bricked by a dealer tech not paying attention.

The Uconnect software that is shipped on the head unit is adequate for the lifetime of the unit. The supplier of the map update only works with the latest version. They do not provide a catalog of updates to match head units. If you order the map update, you are likely to get a Uconnect update. Some, like me, order the map update just to get the Uconnect update (which does not require serial number validation to install, like the map update).

The 'brick the head unit' warning comes from the map update supplier, probably as a CYA.
So what kind of things are involved in the uconnect updates? Are they functional and necessary or just updates to how things work and connect?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So what kind of things are involved in the uconnect updates? Are they functional and necessary or just updates to how things work and connect?
It's a mixed bag of both. It includes whatever changes have been incorporated along the way. There is ongoing development for the overall function, but no new features. Any new features will be in the next Uconnect version, but will not likely be made available for the existing line of head units.

The Uconnect update website is available for owners. There have been no significant changes for the Gladiator Uconnect software since introduction, so it always shows no updates available. There has been one recall based update to fix the backup camera. There appears to be another one recently, but I don't know what it is for. There have been just a few new reports of an OTA update.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I haven’t updated mine. I don’t know that I will. It seems like a lot of money for something I’ve used a few times, just because I could.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT

Been there done that. Started out with an update for the microphone noise issue to needing an update for the Nav and finally getting a used radio put in. The map update could be free and I would pass.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Did it, regretted it, got my money back -getting the refund was a PIA.

Boomeribe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Not worth it. The navigation system is horrible anyways. I will have Google Maps up along with my Garmin, both of those will agree. The truck nav will be an hour or two longer, routes me off of the highway to another highway just to bring me back to the original highway. I only use it to zoom in when looking for a street.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Welcome to the new world with paid subscriptions to the manufactures.

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Just got this a few weeks ago. Thought it had to do with the guardian subscription till I opened it today.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 08.29.58.png

Is this for real? 150 bucks for a map update? The thing isn't even a year old! How often do they release updates and are they even worth it? Roads in my area probably haven't changed in 20 years. Maybe it's more appropriate for those in big cities?
Yes it's silly I use carplay which was installed on my stereo factory works awesome no upgrade map needed ever
Sponsored