2020 Gladiator Mojave Window Sticker and Hands-On Comparison vs Rubicon

1. Flexin

Flexin Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    lol, spoken like a current JK owner, lol.

Alabama Mud Machine likes this.
  2. CMac

CMac Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Highlander
    Liked:
    Haha.... keep on driving (or pushing) your Nissan, dude....

If these Jeeps were $100k, would i be pissed? Ya, probably, but only because i couldn't afford one.

Would i begrudge FCA for for seeking the maximum price point? Never in a million years, and neither should you.

3. JRobes

JRobes Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
    Liked:
    Mechanical Engineer
    anyone else catch that it doesn't get the steel rear bumper either? (at least per this screenshot in their review video). guessing this is to reduce weight for better suspension response.

The rubicon (red model below) steel bumper has more vertical walls by the sides of the license plate indentation.

Capture.JPG

ZCKL736EFUJYUD6OFSJUSXYZPE-600.jpg

4. siggy

siggy Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler JKU
    Liked:
    Nissan? I don’t have a Nissan, but nice try fella. I actually have a Wrangler and another non Nissan vehicle.

I’m pro capitalism. My issue is a $50k Gladiator that doesn’t come with basic safety features that most $25k vehicles come with standard. I don’t begrudge FCA, necessarily. I think they missed the mark. One could say they are asking beyond the maximum price point. Proof is in the sales figures and the dusty Gladiators sitting on the lot. Prove me wrong. Just be happy you are driving a unique vehicle. That’s always the #1 argument when people own a sales loser.

futzin' likes this.
  5. futzin'

futzin' Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Durango V6, 2006 Suburban 2500, 2009 Venza
    Liked:
    good post.

6. CMac

CMac Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Highlander
    Liked:
    Nah, we are fine, you and i, and i am happy to eat a big slice of that humble pie. In my haste, your post seemed similar to that of a troll's.

I just didn't think the Gladiator was that overly- priced foresee what it's capable of and how it's all packaged... I'm sure you are right in your suggestion that if they lowered the msrp a skosh, then they'd find their units sold faster.

Still, that all said, if i had $55k cash, I'd take the Gladiator over a Tundra, a 4 Runner, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Lexus GX, et al.... always been a Jeep guy and can't really explain why. The motorcycle marketplace is very similar in nature. I have friends riding $40,000 CVO HD's... you could buy two Asian-made bikes for that... yet these guys are happy and in the final analysis, that's what matters.

Gvsukids likes this.
  7. whiteglad

whiteglad Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator max tow
    Liked:
    IIRC, the JLs were criticized in 2018 for costing about $3k more than the equivalent JK. Here we are more than two years later. Sticker (retail) on my JT Sport S max tow was almost the same as my 2017 JKU Recon. The Recon had lockers, rock rails, leather, steel bumpers, 5 speed auto, etc. The JT has the aux switches, larger 7", Alpine, double the towing capacity, 8 speed auto. So, the Recon was more "deluxe" or "Loaded" in some respects, but the JT has some functional advantages. If I had chosen a Rubicon, it would have cost what, $5k more? I don't see that as being hugely overpriced vs. JKU or JLU models in the last few years.

Gvsukids likes this.
  8. siggy

siggy Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler JKU
    Liked:
    Thank you!

9. siggy

siggy Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler JKU
    Liked:
    I don’t even know what that means. Lol, perhaps you can explain your logic, lol.

I love my JK! It sits pretty in the fourth bay. Naked all year long and only taken out on nice days. When it came time to plunking down $60k I chose something else. I couldn’t stand paying $60k for an old and tired v6. Reliable, but inadequate. I’d love to combine a couple of vehicles into the Gladiator, but couldn’t swallow having the same engine my JK has in something that weighs much more.

futzin' likes this.
  10. noside85

noside85 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Edison
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
    Liked:
    otw back from the mountains this weekend we saw a jl hauling a trailer with no more than 3 cooler sized containers, couldn't help but smirk

11. Epb1981

Epb1981 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eli
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 pacifica, 2016 tundra, 2011 corolla
    Liked:
    Thanks, Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something . I ordered Mojave march 6th. It Didn't even occur to me it wouldn't have the step when I ordered. Oh well

TheITGuy likes this.
  12. NC_Overland

NC_Overland Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT Overland
    Liked:
    Hah. Old and tired V6? That's how I felt about the 3.8l on my JKU Rubicon. Even with stock tires, 6 speed manual, and 4.10 gears it struggled. The 3.6l is fine, it never feels inadequate. I liked the power of the 3.6l in my 2017 Canyon better, but I only really notice a difference when I floor it and it goes over 4k RPM. The Canyon was noticeably more powerful there. That was a more modern V6 with direct injection, cylinder deactivation, and more power/liter. The 3.6l in the Gladiator sounds a lot better though so that almost makes up for it IMO. I never liked the sound of that GM 3.6l. Back to your point, the Jeep's 3.6l doesn't have cylinder deactivation or DI, so less stuff to go wrong. My 2 cents.

Gvsukids likes this.
  13. whiteglad

whiteglad Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator max tow
    Liked:
    The 3.6 in my JT sure doesn't feel like the same tired V6 that was in my JKU. FCA may have refined it some, but the 8 speed helps a lot--a lot. More first gear, more overdrives, tighter spacing between gears to keep the engine in the power band.

Gvsukids likes this.
  14. hjdca

hjdca Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Harry
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Ray Grey
    Liked:
    The Rubicon floats over pot holes like an old Cadillac, so, they are almost non-existent.
    yes... Also Direct injection is a maint. headache because it allows the valves to be coated with carbon. Just ask BMW owners. Unless the engine has the new design with an additional injector solely to clean the valves, then, valve cleaning is required sometime down the line...

Gvsukids and FishChowder like this.
  15. NC_Overland

NC_Overland Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT Overland
    Liked:
    Yes. That's 100% true. However, that LGZ version of the 3.6l does not have a carbon build up issue. The previous gen did or sure. But we are agreed on that point...