Sponsored

2020 Gladiator Towing (Overland)

gwpeaks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Getting a 4000lb travel trailer in a couple of months and will be towing it with a 2020 Gladiator Overland with the trailer tow package. Does anyone have any experience towing with this model and do you foresee any issues I may run into? Also, the trailer is 7' wide. If you have experience towing with a Gladiator can you advise if I will need additional mirrors to see around the trailer?

One last question, can anyone suggest a good brake controller? I saw one somewhere that replaces the power adapter in the dash but I can't locate it now.
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
There are several threads on this forum addressing your questions. Check out the towing section, and consider the Rampage mirrors with Thorn adapters to fit them to the outside of the Gladiator stock mirrors.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Getting a 4000lb travel trailer in a couple of months and will be towing it with a 2020 Gladiator Overland with the trailer tow package. Does anyone have any experience towing with this model and do you foresee any issues I may run into? Also, the trailer is 7' wide. If you have experience towing with a Gladiator can you advise if I will need additional mirrors to see around the trailer?

One last question, can anyone suggest a good brake controller? I saw one somewhere that replaces the power adapter in the dash but I can't locate it now.
Yeas, see the towing section of this forum. I towed the limit with my overland with a surge brake trailer and it was more comfortable than I expected.

OP
OP

gwpeaks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Yeas, see the towing section of this forum. I towed the limit with my overland with a surge brake trailer and it was more comfortable than I expected.
Thanks. I looked over the towing section but didn't see much specific to the Overland, however, I did get a lot of useful info. I'm pretty confident mine will pull the trailer with no issues.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Thanks. I looked over the towing section but didn't see much specific to the Overland, however, I did get a lot of useful info. I'm pretty confident mine will pull the trailer with no issues.
You could've posted this question in there and then it would help others looking for the same answer.

Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You will have ZERO issues towing 4,000 lbs with an Overland. Curt makes great brake controllers including a Bluetooth one.

Reactions: DHP

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You will have ZERO issues towing 4,000 lbs with an Overland. Curt makes great brake controllers including a Bluetooth one.
That's good to hear - I'll be pulling a 1500 pound tilt bed car hauler with a 3200 pound car on it. That's a total of 4700 pounds - plus tools and parts, roughly 5,000 pounds.
Car shows and major events all cancelled this year so I won't be going anywhere - good thing since they still haven't released the JT brake controller yet and I won't pull that sort of load with no trailer brakes.

OP
OP

gwpeaks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I purchased the Curt Echo today. Simple to set up and appears to stay connected to my phone fine but I can't really test it until I get the trailer. I'll probably have to add a zip tie or something to make sure it doesn't come loose during travel. In case it may help someone, I'll post the results of how well it works when we finally find a trailer (can't find one anywhere right now).

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I purchased the Curt Echo today. Simple to set up and appears to stay connected to my phone fine but I can't really test it until I get the trailer. I'll probably have to add a zip tie or something to make sure it doesn't come loose during travel. In case it may help someone, I'll post the results of how well it works when we finally find a trailer (can't find one anywhere right now).
Just got my JT Sport S with Max Tow two weeks ago, but towed a 3200# camper for over two years with a 2018 JLUS using an Curt Echo Mobile controller. I found zip tie was not necessary. Both the Echo to truck and trailer to Echo connection was secured by the tab on the devices and I never had any issues of them working loose. I really like the Echo and had zero Bluetooth disconnect issues. Enjoy your search and good luck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Bluetooth is - well, there are so many standards, it's unreliable as heck in some cases. Personally, I'll never rely on something critical via bluetooth. Even text to the Uconnect in the JT is iffy. My son (another tech person) and I have had discussion on this. My phone has trouble with uconnect, or uconnect has trouble with my phone, and yet my hearing aids stay connected without fail, 100% no drops, and even work with my phone in the kitchen and me sitting outside - 40 feet away, through an outside wall.
Bluetooth on my phone works perfect with the bluetooth bridge (connects cell phone to wired phone system) So, why is there trouble with the bluetooth in the Jeeps? Even my wife says it's inconsistent with her Grand Cherokee.
At work people complained out it not always working.
Anyone in the business selling bluetooth equipment will tell you "will probably work, but no guarantee as each phone has their own standards and there are constant updates or changes" to bluetooth.
For something critical, wired, please.

Sponsored

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bluetooth is - well, there are so many standards, it's unreliable as heck in some cases. Personally, I'll never rely on something critical via bluetooth. Even text to the Uconnect in the JT is iffy. My son (another tech person) and I have had discussion on this. My phone has trouble with uconnect, or uconnect has trouble with my phone, and yet my hearing aids stay connected without fail, 100% no drops, and even work with my phone in the kitchen and me sitting outside - 40 feet away, through an outside wall.
Bluetooth on my phone works perfect with the bluetooth bridge (connects cell phone to wired phone system) So, why is there trouble with the bluetooth in the Jeeps? Even my wife says it's inconsistent with her Grand Cherokee.
At work people complained out it not always working.
Anyone in the business selling bluetooth equipment will tell you "will probably work, but no guarantee as each phone has their own standards and there are constant updates or changes" to bluetooth.
For something critical, wired, please.
Papa, you are quite correct. I am an IT Director and I don't connect any mission critical devices via wireless of any kind...and trailer brakes are definitely a mission critical device. However, the Curt Echo Mobile device does not require Bluetooth connectivity to function. They have a three-axis accelerometer that works whether or not the phone is connected. You will however loose the ability to apply the brakes manually.
Again, I am with you on the wired and as soon as I choose the "wired" brake controller I like, I will be installing one. The JL I had came w/o the tow package and I had to add a Mopar hitch and the Mopar 7-wire harness, no brake trigger wire to be found, hence the Echo Mobile. I was just commenting my experience of using it for two years without any Bluetooth disconnect issues. I don't recommend or endorse any product, just conveying my experiences. I am currently leaning towards the Curt Spectrum 51170. If anyone has any experience, I would appreciate info.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Papa, you are quite correct. I am an IT Director and I don't connect any mission critical devices via wireless of any kind...and trailer brakes are definitely a mission critical device. However, the Curt Echo Mobile device does not require Bluetooth connectivity to function. They have a three-axis accelerometer that works whether or not the phone is connected. You will however loose the ability to apply the brakes manually.
Again, I am with you on the wired and as soon as I choose the "wired" brake controller I like, I will be installing one. The JL I had came w/o the tow package and I had to add a Mopar hitch and the Mopar 7-wire harness, no brake trigger wire to be found, hence the Echo Mobile. I was just commenting my experience of using it for two years without any Bluetooth disconnect issues. I don't recommend or endorse any product, just conveying my experiences. I am currently leaning towards the Curt Spectrum 51170. If anyone has any experience, I would appreciate info.
Retired network security admin - and responsible for "connecting" almost anything and everything at a state agency.
Me - I want that ability to apply brakes via controller - there are times............

I'll wait a bit longer for a Jeep issue controller, but I have a feeling it's never coming so will have to do something sooner or later.

My biggest thing is that towing my trailer empty really stressed that truck and dropped my MPG from 20 down to 11 (I80 in western Iowa, Des Moines to Omaha).
That truck worked hard pulling that 1500 pound trailer with 12 foot long dealer signs weighing about 20 pounds each. It was empty going over
The signs laid flat on the trailer, no wind resistance.
I didn't need trailer brakes working as it was an empty trailer and easy to stop - going, not so easy.
Coming back I also had 4 Rubicon JT take-offs, tires and wheels, in the back and the truck squatted far more than wanted.

OP
OP

gwpeaks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I don't have a trailer yet but so far the Bluetooth connectivity has been flawless. We found a camper we like but it has a dry weight of 4600lbs. I've never pulled a trailer of any kind and other than a ton of Internet research I know very little about it. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this would be too heavy to pull with my Gladiator? I have an Overland with the tow package (6000lbs. max). We will definitely be traveling to the mountains also.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Take that dry weight and add any water it will haul, your supplies (clothing, food, LP - don't forget LP) battery, TV or other accessories, ice, whatever.
If you haul xx gallons of water take that number of gallons times 8.34 pounds.

Aside from the capacity of the truck for towing, you have to consider the total weight of the whole rig - camper, supplies, people, truck and so on.

Will it pull it? EVeryone seems to say it will! Rare is the person in this forum that says it will be nothing but trouble.
Some say they pull a lot more than I plan to (5,000 pounds) - on the other hand, almost all forum members have the Sport S max tow or the Rubicon - lower gear ratios. The Overland is a rare beast in this forum. (but I love the truck, no question about that- reliable, fun, comfortable, handy)

Mine with my empty ALUMINUM cal hauler, EMPTY, from Des Moines to Omaha - I know that trailer was back there and the transmission constantly "hunted". Pretty normal for modern automatics, though, to be honest. My Silverado was constantly hunting, changing gears. I might make top gear on the level but the slightest, and I mean slightest, incline, the JT would drop back a gear, maybe two. The Silverado did similar - but that was with a LOADED car hauler. on I80 in East Iowa (Hills all the way - hills that slow the 18 wheelers)
So I figure towing I'll have to watch that transmission temperature. Shifting in and out of different gears is friction as the bands and clutches apply and relax, apply and relax. Might be better off shifting it manually.

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a trailer yet but so far the Bluetooth connectivity has been flawless. We found a camper we like but it has a dry weight of 4600lbs. I've never pulled a trailer of any kind and other than a ton of Internet research I know very little about it. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this would be too heavy to pull with my Gladiator? I have an Overland with the tow package (6000lbs. max). We will definitely be traveling to the mountains also.
I have not towed camper or boat with my three week old Gladiator yet, but I have towed many variations over the last, close to 50 years. I haven't seen the exact specs on the weight limits of the Overland but the 3.6 is plenty of engine for 4600#s and I am assuming with the 6000# rating that you have an automatic, again plenty of capacity.
The thing a lot of folks miss is the payload capacity. Example: A family of five can easily exceed 600# plus 460# tongue weight, now your at 1060# without any gear in the bed of the truck. Pay attention to payload capacity. Add all occupants, gear AND trailer tongue weight to make sure you don't exceed payload numbers. A good rule of thumb is 10-15% of total trailer weight should be your tongue weight. Stay under TV axle weights, gross vehicle weight and combined vehicle weight. The easiest way to know for sure is once loaded, with all souls aboard (note gas tank fill level and all water tanks and propane tank fill levels) and head to the closest CAT scales. These are found at a lot of truck stops. You will notice at least three sections on the scale, position TV/TT to where each axle is on a different section/pad (tandem axle trailer okay that both axles on same pad). This will give you the numbers you need to confirm you are under/over weight limits.
Sorry if I got too elementary, but some folks may not have ever used scales before. Have fun.
P.S. Weight Distributing Hitches will help transfer loads...but won't reduce the total obviously.
Sponsored