First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
I used to get 25 to 26 but with the derating issues and 35s I am lucky to get 14 or 15 MPG
Thats to bad everyone in my Jeep group that has the diesel all get 20+ i put a group email out and with tge 7 members with diesels one 1 issues and it was a charging issue they fixed 1 trip i love mine just ordered a Jt Rubi in Gecko can't wait tell it gets here!!!
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Thats to bad everyone in my Jeep group that has the diesel all get 20+ i put a group email out and with tge 7 members with diesels one 1 issues and it was a charging issue they fixed 1 trip i love mine just ordered a Jt Rubi in Gecko can't wait tell it gets here!!!
Before 8K miles was consistently getting 25 MPG. Now at 16K miles, 15.1 average after an 8K miles road trip over 60 days. Had an issue free experience until I hit 8K miles in June and now have plenty of issues from poor MPG (not even towing anything, afraid to at this point), excessive use of DEF (1 gal+ every 1K miles), power drop due to excessive oil temps, using a quart of oil every 1000 miles, engine surges 500-800 rpm on cruise control........
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Ecodiesel Big Issues beaware MPG Aug 2021

OP
OP

Frankdiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ford f-250 KR, 2016 silverado, 2021 gladiator
Occupation
A headache according to the wife
Update, this is still the worse vehicle I have ever owned. Seems like the light coming in and fuel issues have been fix, at least for the last 2000 miles, but the last time the vehicle was at dealer for repair. They found a seal leak on the rear axle, it looks like a hub seal at the end of the axle, well its leaking, dealer claimed it ha sto replace the whole axle and they are backed ordered. So was told to drive it like that verbally and by writting, so now I have a leakinf axle that could potentially seize any time now. The charging issue continues now, the voltage drops to 12.6 at idle but goes up to 13.5-13.8 if. The transmission is put in gear even if the vehicle doent move. Weird $hit. Im gonna cut my looses. It now was a this is a piece of crap vynil sticker. Will drive like that for a dew months and trade it in.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
Before 8K miles was consistently getting 25 MPG. Now at 16K miles, 15.1 average after an 8K miles road trip over 60 days. Had an issue free experience until I hit 8K miles in June and now have plenty of issues from poor MPG (not even towing anything, afraid to at this point), excessive use of DEF (1 gal+ every 1K miles), power drop due to excessive oil temps, using a quart of oil every 1000 miles, engine surges 500-800 rpm on cruise control........
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Ecodiesel Big Issues beaware MPG Aug 2021
and what did the dealer say or do?

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
Update, this is still the worse vehicle I have ever owned. Seems like the light coming in and fuel issues have been fix, at least for the last 2000 miles, but the last time the vehicle was at dealer for repair. They found a seal leak on the rear axle, it looks like a hub seal at the end of the axle, well its leaking, dealer claimed it ha sto replace the whole axle and they are backed ordered. So was told to drive it like that verbally and by writting, so now I have a leakinf axle that could potentially seize any time now. The charging issue continues now, the voltage drops to 12.6 at idle but goes up to 13.5-13.8 if. The transmission is put in gear even if the vehicle doent move. Weird $hit. Im gonna cut my looses. It now was a this is a piece of crap vynil sticker. Will drive like that for a dew months and trade it in.
I think virtually every truck in the US uses a Dana supplied axle. All new cars suck. Pick your poison.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
and what did the dealer say or do?
Dealer had no options or solutions. Said the diesel has plenty of issues in the JT. More than the JL or Ram 1500.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Lot of people here have reported axle seal leaks. Its a quick easy fix, but parts seem to be in low supply.

Your alternator sounds normal? The smart alternator only charges as needed and mostly when coasting. Its annoying for trying to charge a trailer battery, but it takes care of the starting battery just fine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That axle isn't going to seize at any time. This is a known thing and as I've said a dozen times, in almost every single case the leak is small enough it won't drop the level of the lube to a level that would cause any real problems.

And the voltage is also NORMAL. These are smart alternators and totally different systems. Get used to the voltage swings. Welcome to modern vehicles with smart systems.
There's a TSB about that explaining how normal that is - and - a thread or two about it here as well. It's common, it's NOT scary or any sort of a problem. 12.6 is the voltage if a fully charged battery - so that means the system is handling the load just fine since the voltage is still showing fully charged. If it was lower than 12.6 then I'd think about being worried - but it's keeping up perfectly, working exactly as it should.

So the axle leak is a known thing and it's not a big enough leak to do damage (in almost all cases) and the voltage - stop worrying - it's normal on modern, smart systems. NORMAL.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lot of people here have reported axle seal leaks. Its a quick easy fix, but parts seem to be in low supply.

Your alternator sounds normal? The smart alternator only charges as needed and mostly when coasting. Its annoying for trying to charge a trailer battery, but it takes care of the starting battery just fine.
Yes, it's NORMALY for a smart system. It is showing a fully charged battery and the alternator is handling things just fine. They put out ONLY when necessary - saves POWER, saves fuel. Alternators take a chunk of horsepower! You don't want that load when it's not necessary.
It's a known thing, there's a TSB, we've discussed it, etc.

The axle leak is annoying as heck, but it's not losing enough lube to do damage to the differential.

Here's mine at 12.7. After I took this pic it went down to 12.6 and then later jumped to 13.7 or so. It's been as high as 14.6
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Ecodiesel Big Issues beaware 20210613_150145

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Mt JTRD isn't smart. MPG has gone from 25 to 15 since New in April. Dealer has no clue or solution for it. I'm holding out for 4Xe JT and trading mine

Sponsored

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Have you tried a new dealer or a different tech? do you seek only one doctors opinion too

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Clearly his Jeep has a specific problem, and as I mentioned in another thread there are lots of dealers who are clueless about the EcoDiesel because they don't train technicians on them.

The diesel will average the EXACT SAME cost per mile to drive as the 4xe (assuming Jeep actually releases a 4xe JT which I hightly doubt) but with the diesel you don't have to keep it plugged up all the time. 1 kWh per mile ain't cheap. To each their own....

What he should do is find a reputable dealer who knows what they're doing. This EcoDiesel is the BEST drivetrain ever installed in a factory Jeep hands down. The best fuel economy, the most torque, the strongest transmission, the best off road, the best while towing on road, etc. etc. It's the only powertrain to buy.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Have you tried a new dealer or a different tech? do you seek only one doctors opinion too
No I don't and I have had it looked at by 3 dealers. The same from all of them after they had it for 2 days without a loaner, the 3.0 TD JTs have issues that there no information on and there are no codes to investigate. We'll I do get codes for Throttle position sensor and charging system all the time but they clear when I get to dealer in the next few days
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Ecodiesel Big Issues beaware Screenshot_20210831-181457_Uconnect

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Time to do what I do - OBDLink MX+ AlfaOBD or Jscan, phone or table. Next time it acts up, create a log or look at the codes and then look the codes up on the web.
Sponsored