Big MPG jump

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Originally was getting around 14 mpg for the first 700 miles in typical Suburban driving. Then I installed the heavy e-rated 295/75/17 M/T’s and a leveling kit and mileage dropped to 11.8.

So I made the mistake of doing two mods at roughly the same time: I had the ECM flashed for my bigger tires and I installed a Pedal Commander at around 1200 miles. Now my mileage has jumped to 16.2 in the last 1100 miles. So I have no idea which is responsible for the jump or if it is a combo of the two. The Pedal Commander definitely leads to more spirited driving in the mode in which it is set, City +4, which should hurt mpg’s. All of this can’t be attributed to cutting my remote start use in half, can it?
Sponsored

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
MPG when your tire diameter is set wrong is just garbage data. So kinda had to say by comparison. I see in the 15's on 35's so 16+ looks good to me.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Are you hand calculating MPG, or just going by the dash estimate? Idling time reduces the MPG number displayed by the computer.

OP
OP
Incommando

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Are you hand calculating MPG, or just going by the dash estimate? Idling time reduces the MPG number displayed by the computer.
Makes sense. The numbers quoted are from the computer but hand calculating on random tanks gave only slightly ( up fo 1/2 mpg) numbers.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I get around 18 hand calculating on 35's, most of the time on the display as well, but like @Mr._Bill said Idle time definitely hurts the computer display MPGs, pretty significantly. My wife let it idle for almost 45 minutes the other day while I was in a store And it dropped the Mpgs from 18.2- 17.3 on the display. I'd say adjusting for the tires made more of a impact than the pedal commander did. Also have you made sure the OD is accurate after the flash. I know sometimes it can still be off, like if you have 35's and put in 35" as the setting normally it won't be accurate, you have to measure the tire and then adjust. I think I had to input 33.8 to get it right on mine based on GPS and my cop buddies radar on his cruiser.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Remember, the computer is tracking every drop of fuel used and every drop used to idle is zero miles per gallon which impacts average consumption even worse than full throttle pulls.

This is exactly what ESS is trying to control despite the hemming and hawing about how you don't like the way it feels. Im sure if the argument was wear a condom despite how it feels or have three more kids the tune would change and quick.

Heavy diesel manufacturers classify idling as sever duty and many big equipment will ESS after an amount of time to avoid excessive engine wear under less than ideal conditions. Engineering Explained has a video comparing fuel use at start up versus idle and found much more fuel is used to idle than to start.

So increased wear, more wasted fuel and your money being converted to heat and noise, what's not to love?

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Dealer told me pedal commander and similar products will void the warranty. Told me to remove and leave at home before I come in for any service

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer told me pedal commander and similar products will void the warranty. Told me to remove and leave at home before I come in for any service
They don't Void the Warranty, but they give the dealer justification to deny warranty coverage for any related repairs. A nasty dealer can use it as cause to get the warranty voided. Any programmer, or similar type of device, needs to be removed before visiting the dealer. At least you have a dealer that was decent enough to warn you.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
They wanted to deny the warranty claim on my Wranglers transmission which needed replaced @ 50k miles due to a Trail Dash 2 sitting on the dash. It was touch and go for over a month before it was approved then another 6 weeks for the tyranny

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
if you don't recalibrate the ECU for the tire size it will never matter, hand calculating or not. The milage will not be accurate.

Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
They don't Void the Warranty, but they give the dealer justification to deny warranty coverage for any related repairs. A nasty dealer can use it as cause to get the warranty voided. Any programmer, or similar type of device, needs to be removed before visiting the dealer. At least you have a dealer that was decent enough to warn you.
the pedal commander is plug and play right? just unplug it when you take it in LOL. I hate that scam. Well Mr. Customer those aren't the tires it came with so we can't warranty the the starter that died because it stops and starts 900 times a day. pft...gtfoh

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Hate to confuse things but at 700 mikes my stock Mojave was getting 14 mpg, mileage went up gradually until at least 4500 mikes where I was getting 18mpg. At 20,00 miles I get around 18 -19.5 around burbs and 22 highway, and 13mpg towing a camper. I drive a stock Mojave…..Jack
Sponsored