Sponsored

2021 Jeep Frustrated & Disappointed Owner

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Do you know all of the modifications he has? I don't see a list anywhere. Clearly the dealer doesn't think they're the issue as they'd be the first ones to walk away from it.
IF it is the vehicle that is in the link above, and OPs pic sure looks exactly like it, here is what is listed on the 2nd hand site:

"2021 DIESEL WILLYS GLADIATOR, JUST BUILT BY BAYSHORE AUTOMOTIVE IN SUNNY TAMPA, FLORIDA! THIS ONE IS NASTY AND READY TO TURN HEADS. WE JUST ADDED:

4" READY LIFT

FALCON SHOCKS

22X12 4PLAY WHEELS

37" FEDERAL XPLORA MTS TIRES

FAB FOUR FRONT BUMPER

FISHBONE RACK

QUAKE LED COLOR CHANGING HEADLIGHTS

3X3 LED PODS ON A PILAR BRACKETS

FALCON STEERING STABILIZER

IRON CROSS REAR BUMPER

WESTIN STEP UP BARS

NAVIGATION

REAR CAMERA

BLACK D RINGS

ACTIVE SAFETY GROUP

TECHNOLOGY GROUP

CONVENIENCE GROUP

TRAILER TOW PACKAGE

FREEDOM HARDTOP

LED TAIL LIGHTS ALPINE SOUND

XM RADIOBLIND SPOT AND CROSS PATH DETECTION

PARK ASSIST

CAB ROCK RAILS

44 DANA AXLES FRONT AND REAR"
Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
After seeing that list of mods, forget lemon law. I guarantee you the stability control was affected by the four inch lift and 37 inch tires.... that's not to say it cannot be done on a jeep without affecting those symptoms but it is unlikely to be a Coincidence in this case.

Jeep does not honor any suspension or suspension related warrantees above 2 inches. You may lift a jeep Without affecting warranty but no more than 2 inches.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I
After seeing that list of mods, forget lemon law. I guarantee you the stability control was affected by the four inch lift and 37 inch tires.... that's not to say it cannot be done on a jeep without affecting those symptoms but it is unlikely to be a Coincidence in this case.

Jeep does not honor any suspension or suspension related warrantees above 2 inches. You may lift a jeep Without affecting warranty but no more than 2 inches.
I highly doubt that’s the cause. There are people all over this forum with that setup. He’s getting way more than an ESC light.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Last edited:

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Its not the actual setup but the stuff that must be touched when installing..... when putting in a 4 inch lift things may need to be adjusted or relocated. Things need to be re-programmed for 37 inch tires also... if these were not all done correctly it can certainly mess with stability control. There have been similar problems, even on this forum with 2 inch lifts.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be careful what you say bad about jeep on here. Some people get butt hurt and will start trashing you. I wish you luck.
I don't think anyone here has delusions of Toyota or Honda levels of reliability.

Trlr8tdd

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition JT, 2013 JKR
Occupation
Aviation Chief Inspector
Look at the bright side. At least your not putting a bunch of miles on it.
I had a 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel that I lemon lawed out of. I had to get an attorney. Of Course I got Screw3d but at least I didn’t have the truck anymore!

smurraybhm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 High Altitude
Occupation
University Admin
I don't think anyone here has delusions of Toyota or Honda levels of reliability.
Have you checked the latest JD Power rankings, Jeep is actually higher than Honda. My previous truck, a Ridgeline, was in the shop 3 times within the first few months of ownership due to electical issues - I became very familiar with every light indicator. Toyota is still up there.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked the latest JD Power rankings, Jeep is actually higher than Honda. My previous truck, a Ridgeline, was in the shop 3 times within the first few months of ownership due to electical issues - I became very familiar with every light indicator. Toyota is still up there.
JD power ranks a bunch of things. The Initial quality survey often cited has more to do with the quality of the dealers than of the cars. The dealers are the last line of defense before a car hits the consumer.

I used to work at a Saab dealer. Our initial quality rating was better than the local Lexus stores. Primarily because the owner would drive every car in inventory home for the night. The next morning he would have a post it on the dash with everything that needed to be fixed.

Dodge ranked 1st this year, tied with Kia.

However if you go to JD powers rating for the Gladiator vs the Ridgeline their total satisfaction scores are 74 and 81. The other thing with the Hondas is a lot of their drag down in the initial quality scores has to do with their infotainment system. Which sucks. In contrast the FCA system in the Jeep is one of the best in the industry.

So where would you rather have problems. In the mechanics of the vehicle or in the infotainment system?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Longer brake hoses (ABS and stability control impact depending on who and how they did it), ABS sensor wiring (again, depending on who and how they did it), among other things. Who know what they touched or did. And my trust level of some people doing mods like that is in the negative numbers.
IF done well, correctly, properly, with care, correct procedures, no one messed up, no one bent a pin in a connector, no one pinched or pulled a wire, whatever, ok, but to say "the mods didn't do that" is - how do you know that? Was the person doing it perfect at their job?.
They changed the lighting - more room for errors like bent or misaligned pins or connectors, there are a number of places something could have gone wrong.
I don't mind fixing things - but to fix something someone else has worked on, a nightmare as you don't know what "human intervention" may have introduced into the things that go wrong NORMALLY with no human touching it.
Bring me a stock vehicle with an electrical issue and I'll agree to look at it, but tell me that someone else swapped a bunch of parts, put on aftermarket alternator, whatever - and I will likely say I'm too busy.
This isn't a factory fresh vehicle that a dealer can easily troubleshoot - this is a very modified vehicle that some idiot may have broken in the guise of modifying it.
Frankly, all bets are off.
Look at what Jeep's own trailer brake controller did to some JTs........... and to say those headlight replacements have nothing at all to do with anything and can't cause any problems? The extending of the brake lines and ABS leads can't impact any stability control?
A MOPAR branded genuine dealer supplied part - a trailer brake controller disabled ESC - and their work on that truck can't have had any impact?

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Longer brake hoses (ABS and stability control impact depending on who and how they did it), ABS sensor wiring (again, depending on who and how they did it), among other things. Who know what they touched or did. And my trust level of some people doing mods like that is in the negative numbers.
IF done well, correctly, properly, with care, correct procedures, no one messed up, no one bent a pin in a connector, no one pinched or pulled a wire, whatever, ok, but to say "the mods didn't do that" is - how do you know that? Was the person doing it perfect at their job?.
They changed the lighting - more room for errors like bent or misaligned pins or connectors, there are a number of places something could have gone wrong.
I don't mind fixing things - but to fix something someone else has worked on, a nightmare as you don't know what "human intervention" may have introduced into the things that go wrong NORMALLY with no human touching it.
Bring me a stock vehicle with an electrical issue and I'll agree to look at it, but tell me that someone else swapped a bunch of parts, put on aftermarket alternator, whatever - and I will likely say I'm too busy.
This isn't a factory fresh vehicle that a dealer can easily troubleshoot - this is a very modified vehicle that some idiot may have broken in the guise of modifying it.
Frankly, all bets are off.
Look at what Jeep's own trailer brake controller did to some JTs........... and to say those headlight replacements have nothing at all to do with anything and can't cause any problems? The extending of the brake lines and ABS leads can't impact any stability control?
A MOPAR branded genuine dealer supplied part - a trailer brake controller disabled ESC - and their work on that truck can't have had any impact?
There are no brake line extensions with that lift. Now is it possible that the installer let the axle droop too much and tugged a line or wire too far? Absolutely.

The only electrical related items are some headlights and A-pillar lights. You really think those are on the same system as the stability control? The Jeep brake controller effecting ESC is not surprising at all, of course they're related. Given that too, it's just as much if not more likely that it's just a Jeep issue that's completely unrelated to the mods. Stuff happens on these vehicles, we see it every day on this forum.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
MMMMMmmmm depends on the flex of the suspension. Some of the JK guys say they are ok, others say the lines are stretched tight, some relocate brackets and use stock lines, others use longer hoses.
One setup comes with longer brake hoses - Teraflex uses 26" on the front and 30" on the back on their 4" JK lifts. So the answer to that seems to vary a whole lot and is usually met with "it depends"......

foxman350

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
As was stated earlier!

Some people get butt hurt when you start complaining about Jeep FCA not honoring their warranty. Instead of being helpful, they attack you like it is your fault that FCA has quality issues and doesn't like to honor warranties.

I am talking about you @foxman350.

It would be one thing if this case was unique. We have seen this exact same malfunction description play out related to the new diesels several times on this forum.

@foxman350 quit attacking people and start being helpful!
I attacked no one, I from experience have had a modified Jeep that the dealer refused to honor warranty or even look at for an issue that turned out to be a manufacturing defect.
Sponsored