First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Really want to drop weight. Rock hard 4*4 aluminum bumper. 39 lbs I believe. With my warn evo 10s which is 59 lbs. I'll just about break even when factory bumper comes off
Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Thanks. Actually, THREE of those mountain dogs. My wife enjoys seeing out house destroyed faster than an angry regiment of termites! ;-)
FYI, this is just a reader's digest format. There's a lot more on the link. I do the principal writeup over there and by the time I venture here, I'm all worn out. Also, there's a bunch more discussion on the main write-up thread. Whichever works for you, I'm happy that you enjoy it.
Sheepdog mix over here, so I'm familiar. How they can shed a garbage bag full of fur every day and still have fur is beyond my comprehension. I'll head over to the other thread and give it a read

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
Really want to drop weight. Rock hard 4*4 aluminum bumper. 39 lbs I believe. With my warn evo 10s which is 59 lbs. I'll just about break even when factory bumper comes off
Look into the LiPO4 batteries. I want to say a 60Amp hr unit is 16 pounds. Antigravity makes a cool one. Biggest/fastest weight reduction aside from having a leg removed!

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sheepdog mix over here, so I'm familiar. How they can shed a garbage bag full of fur every day and still have fur is beyond my comprehension. I'll head over to the other thread and give it a read
I think these mountain dogs could effectively replace sheep!

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Look into the LiPO4 batteries. I want to say a 60Amp hr unit is 16 pounds. Antigravity makes a cool one. Biggest/fastest weight reduction aside from having a leg removed!
Ive got 2 LifePo4 batteries Renogy 100ah

• Haha
Reactions: JT1

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
On the weight reduction thing, I am seriously on the hunt. This JT of mine feels better with all the weight it recently lost. The lithium iron battery and the aluminum rear bumper are close to emptying my bag of tricks. I am now looking at those electric steps I bolted on to make my frau happee. Found some HD aluminum rock sliders that I just may have to pick up. With a cutout to aid in climbing in, I am evaluating if I can lose some more weight by bolting those on and tossing the RC steps.

To be completely transparent, and knowing myself as well as I think I do, I am just prepping the battlefield for an eventual Hemi or LS swap. You see, it makes zero financial sense, which is why I need to paint myself into a corner that ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES me to buy that hemi. Then I can clad it up with 1/2" battleship steel and not have to worry ;-)

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ive got 2 LifePo4 batteries Renogy 100ah
Question: Did you replace your primary battery? Or are you also running that?
Your machine suggests that you are more of a full-time Overlander. I was thinking that I could run one 100ah under the hood, and tap that for camping needs which I do not feel will be exorbitant

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Your machine suggests that you are more of a full-time Overlander. I was thinking that I could run one 100ah under the hood, and tap that for camping needs which I do not feel will be exorbitant
No my batteries are for solar only. Retained the factory batteries on the truck as I didn't want to connect to the vehicle.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
No my batteries are for solar only. Retained the factory batteries on the truck as I didn't want to connect to the vehicle.
Well...
There's 60 pounds if you could run/charge the renology batteries from the vehicle system. I understand there may be some incompatibilities...

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
Found some HD aluminum rock sliders that I just may have to pick up
The aluminum LOD Armor Lite sliders would be another choice. They held up really well to the light-medium stuff I normally do but I'll be the first one to admit they are not going to survive being dropped on a rock with the full weight of the truck..... I totally destroyed my set on the Rubicon :)

It's an interesting thread..... pains me to watch all that nice AEV stuff get tossed in a bin but I get where you are going with weight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The aluminum LOD Armor Lite sliders would be another choice. They held up really well to the light-medium stuff I normally do but I'll be the first one to admit they are not going to survive being dropped on a rock with the full weight of the truck..... I totally destroyed my set on the Rubicon :)

It's an interesting thread..... pains me to watch all that nice AEV stuff get tossed in a bin but I get where you are going with weight.

THose are the exact sliders I am eyeing.

Were you running the steel cladding for the lower edges?

Any idea of the weight of those along with the steel if you ran that?

Comment: I have discovered a lot of the companies I call and inquire about the weight to be clueless about that. Not something they are normally asked about, I suppose

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
Were you running the steel cladding for the lower edges?

Any idea of the weight of those along with the steel if you ran that?
LOD claims 85lbs for the sliders, 24lbs for the steel cladding.

Yes, I was running the cladding. the Northridge video does a good job of showing them scrapping along rocks.

Mine were actually "ok" after the Rubicon.. lots of dents and scrapes but what did happen was I hit a rock hard enough that the aluminum deformed, popped the lightweight step insert out, and then mostly popped back. LOD does make replacement steps but I decided to replace the sliders with steel...

Jeep Gladiator 2022 AEV Gladiator Rubicon build IMG_9108

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LOD claims 85lbs for the sliders, 24lbs for the steel cladding.

Yes, I was running the cladding. the Northridge video does a good job of showing them scrapping along rocks.

Mine were actually "ok" after the Rubicon.. lots of dents and scrapes but what did happen was I hit a rock hard enough that the aluminum deformed, popped the lightweight step insert out, and then mostly popped back. LOD does make replacement steps but I decided to replace the sliders with steel...

Jeep Gladiator 2022 AEV Gladiator Rubicon build IMG_9108
I think my one redeeming lifeline is that I do not have a Rubicon trail in my future. Now, that being said, the trails I am currently playing around on can have their "Moments" as all trails can. Perhaps just not with the same density of obstacles as the Rubicon.

I'm learning and have to do something. I'll need something there so it will fall to the option that also weighs the least.

Thanks for the info.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
You really don't want a lithium under the hood. The factory electrical system is designed with AGM in mind - AGM and Lithium require different charging profiles, voltages, and amperages. Additionally, you don't want to directly connect lithium to any other battery chemistry type - which is the purpose of a DC/DC charger like redrac, or renogy, etc.....

This is why I have the Genesis system, and it still provides the option to have additional lithium in the bed for the future. If you do go Lithium, which is fine, just keep in mind that all your accessories will need to run off of that battery, and they will not run off of the vehicle's system. A DC/DC effective creates two separate electrical systems where the DC/DC's only purpose is to take power from the vehicle, and use it to charge the Lithium system.

Antigravity falsely advertises that they make lithium batteries as a direct replacement for under your hood vehicle battery - but I had several conversations with them and based on what they had said, their batteries are NOT conducive for this purpose dispute that being their advertisement. So I would not recommend that method - also Lithium is not designed, and cannot handle, a massive electrical pull (such as a winch) like AGM or led acid can. It can permanently damage lithium batteries and even cause them to catch fire or explode.

For your specific purpose since you really are trying to stay light, I might suggest to keep the factory battery configuration, remove the little auxiliary battery just because its a pita, and then add a lithium setup in your bed of 100-200ah depending on your needs. Things like a compressor should be run off of your main vehicle battery since it draws a lot of amps and should only be running when the engine is running, but lower draw items like fridge, camp lights, etc...can be hooked up to the lithium.

My particular system is designed to be modular, to run off of AGM currently for 1 night trips, and in the future expand to run off of lithium for week long trips, but then be able to immediately remove said lithium in the winter, and switch (literally with a switch) to run again off of AGM so that my 2 hour drive to the grocery store can keep my food cold on the way home.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You really don't want a lithium under the hood. The factory electrical system is designed with AGM in mind - AGM and Lithium require different charging profiles, voltages, and amperages. Additionally, you don't want to directly connect lithium to any other battery chemistry type - which is the purpose of a DC/DC charger like redrac, or renogy, etc.....

This is why I have the Genesis system, and it still provides the option to have additional lithium in the bed for the future. If you do go Lithium, which is fine, just keep in mind that all your accessories will need to run off of that battery, and they will not run off of the vehicle's system. A DC/DC effective creates two separate electrical systems where the DC/DC's only purpose is to take power from the vehicle, and use it to charge the Lithium system.

Antigravity falsely advertises that they make lithium batteries as a direct replacement for under your hood vehicle battery - but I had several conversations with them and based on what they had said, their batteries are NOT conducive for this purpose dispute that being their advertisement. So I would not recommend that method - also Lithium is not designed, and cannot handle, a massive electrical pull (such as a winch) like AGM or led acid can. It can permanently damage lithium batteries and even cause them to catch fire or explode.

For your specific purpose since you really are trying to stay light, I might suggest to keep the factory battery configuration, remove the little auxiliary battery just because its a pita, and then add a lithium setup in your bed of 100-200ah depending on your needs. Things like a compressor should be run off of your main vehicle battery since it draws a lot of amps and should only be running when the engine is running, but lower draw items like fridge, camp lights, etc...can be hooked up to the lithium.

My particular system is designed to be modular, to run off of AGM currently for 1 night trips, and in the future expand to run off of lithium for week long trips, but then be able to immediately remove said lithium in the winter, and switch (literally with a switch) to run again off of AGM so that my 2 hour drive to the grocery store can keep my food cold on the way home.
OK, my take-away from reading this is I need to back up a step and take a new/harder look at the primary lithium batter thing.
I do know lithium batteries somewhat (Owned a Tesla fast car) but not to the extent I need to, apparently

I did buy into the anti-gravity thing where they claim their batteries can completely replace the factory battery.
And
This
is
what I like about posting.
You get to engage the brains of the smart guys
and
save yourself a bunch of heartache, spelled $$$$$
Sponsored