Sponsored

2022 Rumors?

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
I pray for the day they ditch uconnect and go with the android build they keep teasing once in awhile. Either way a better working radio that can retrofit to prior years would be great..then I can burn my base 5 uconnect lol.
Why? It's been one of the best systems since introduction. Interface, user friendly, quick, etc.
Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Asked a local dealer yesterday when the 2022 model year options and colors will be available to start placing orders and he said everything as of the end of July has been for 2022 models. Hmmm

They have seven recently received Gladiators on the lot. Eight shades of Grey and one Sarge. All day 2021 on the window sticker. Not a one of them had a fun color or a trail cam so I’m still walking.lol

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
I couldn't order my Rubi *without* the floor mats. I've always bought aftermarket ones but when I was sitting at the dealer, my salesman and I both messed around on the computer doing different combinations of a build and as soon as either of us clicked Rubicon, the next page for options was locked ordering mats. He knew I didn't want em and let me use the computer but it wasn't havin it. I did have the Cold weather package selected but with a MT so no remote start. But even without it, the mats were locked. Not sure if it's a regional thing since I'm upstate NY.
Rubber mats or carpet mats? I ordered a Rubicon 2 weeks ago and it wouldn’t let us order Rubber mats because they stopped letting them be ordered due to a shortage. Dealer also said he received an email from his regional saying not to place orders with slush mats.

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
Why? It's been one of the best systems since introduction. Interface, user friendly, quick, etc.
My current car is a F150, previous before that was a Buick and then a Jeep. UC3 (I think it was?) was the most buggy of the 3 vehicles. I just assumed I would have to get an aftermarket (Stinger/JL) when I pick up my Gladiator. Is UConnect not awful anymore?

Sponsored

Skdmarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
Occupation
GM
How about a factory supercharged 3.6 if they aren't doing a v8

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
My current car is a F150, previous before that was a Buick and then a Jeep. UC3 (I think it was?) was the most buggy of the 3 vehicles. I just assumed I would have to get an aftermarket (Stinger/JL) when I pick up my Gladiator. Is UConnect not awful anymore?
I was super impressed with the 5 in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L I drove. Very responsive.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I pray for the day they ditch uconnect and go with the android build they keep teasing once in awhile. Either way a better working radio that can retrofit to prior years would be great..then I can burn my base 5 uconnect lol.
I thought uConnect 5 was android?

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Lol that's funny, I've had mine replaced three times and had to put up with it shorting out with a loud pop randomly while driving that made you want to swerve off the road for a whole year. They finally had an update which fixes the shorting..which would also reset the radio every time but now it some times locks up with a black screen. After the update it was locked up with a black screen for a week. Waiting for another update to fix that update lol. My 16 jeep renegades radio worked flawlessly but they changed software/manufacturers even if they look the same.

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
I thought uConnect 5 was android?
My base 5 is windows I think, jk..or am I?. I wish I could get a 16s radio and swap it. My prior jeep had no radio issues, Panasonic had made those back then, Jeep cares told me they have someone else now days making them

Sponsored

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
Let's see what those "2" cross shoppers get, which will likely turn the two into 20,000 within a year. Point being is that Jeep is going to have to step up their game for 22 with the 22 Frontier, and 23 redesigns of the Tacoma and Ranger due soon .
22 Frontier Pro4X for $38,635 (including delivery) comes standard with:
3.8 V6 (310 HP/ 281 ft.tq) 9 speed.
Dana rear axle with E locker, Billstein shocks, 265/70/17
9" touch screen, 7" dash display, car play, dual zone a/c
PW/PL/ Power Drivers seat, rear seat armrest, power mirrors, push startl LED headlights, LED tail lights, LED bed lights, LED interior lights, LED fog
Full skid plates
Forward collision, pedestrian braking, Navigation, voice recognition, and front/rear USB ports
So you're predicting Gladiator sales decline by 20k annually once the new Frontier is on lots? Or just that 20k folks will look at the Frontier but not buy it?

Your hypothetical Frontier defector is a purchaser who:
*doesn't care about a removable roof
*doesn't care about removable doors
*doesn't care about a manual transmission
*doesn't care about a solid front axle
*doesn't care about a modification scene that is conservatively 10x the size of the Frontier's
*doesn't care about the larger dealer network
*doesn't care about buying from an American company and/or the '1941' heritage
*irrespective about any of the above, don't care about driving a vehicle that looks especially capable, even if those capabilities are never used
*and, most importantly, is a buyer not aren't already cross-shopping the Tacoma and Colorado instead and never looking at the Jeep in the first place.

Who exactly are these buyers supposed to be? They're not just mall crawlers since the whole point of the mall crawler is they desire a certain look a more ordinary truck or SUV isn't giving them.

Furthermore, why is MSRP the relevant point of comparison given our hypothetical buyer taking the time to cross-shop could easily take the time to get a Gladiator for thousands under MSRP in most markets?

But say we do use MSRP, and so we need to compare a Gladiator Sport S vs the Frontier Pro-4x. As an off-road vehicle I'm still not sure the Frontier comes out ahead. A Sport S has considerably better combined approach/breakover/departure angles, A Sport S is narrower on the trail. A Sport S has better ground clearance. The Pro-4x has larger tires and the locker, but all-in-all I'm not sure it would actually beat out a Sport S on a trail

Jeep is going to have to step up their game over the Frontier as much as they stepped it up for the Xterra, which is none. Or maybe I'm wrong and that "rear seat armrest" is going to really swing things :)
____

I'm being snotty here because I think the 20k number above is a wild exaggeration unless it means something as innocuous as "20k buyers will be aware the Frontier exists." But all that said I absolutely concede that for a buyer who wants 'just a truck' and who doesn't care about any of the Jeep-specific features of a Gladiator the Frontier is a better choice. But for that guy or gal every other midsize truck is a better choice and already has been since Gladiator launched. I therefore don't think on the margin the new Frontier represents any sort of threat that moves the needle for Jeep at all. And, based on 20 years of history, I think upper trim Frontier models aren't really going to represent much of a threat to any vehicle given the pricing overlap with the hyper-competitive full-size truck offerings on the market.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Really?? Currently have the 8.4 UC and had it in my previous Grand Cherokee. Frequent freezes, flake-outs and flat out crashes to the point I couldn't use anything. This really sucked in the winter not having access to any heater controls. The Sync 3 in my 2017 F-150 was way more stable and reliable. Two years and not a single issue.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
So you're predicting Gladiator sales decline by 20k annually once the new Frontier is on lots? Or just that 20k folks will look at the Frontier but not buy it?

Your hypothetical Frontier defector is a purchaser who:
*doesn't care about a removable roof
*doesn't care about removable doors
*doesn't care about a manual transmission
*doesn't care about a solid front axle
*doesn't care about a modification scene that is conservatively 10x the size of the Frontier's
*doesn't care about the larger dealer network
*doesn't care about buying from an American company and/or the '1941' heritage
*irrespective about any of the above, don't care about driving a vehicle that looks especially capable, even if those capabilities are never used
*and, most importantly, is a buyer not aren't already cross-shopping the Tacoma and Colorado instead and never looking at the Jeep in the first place.

Who exactly are these buyers supposed to be? They're not just mall crawlers since the whole point of the mall crawler is they desire a certain look a more ordinary truck or SUV isn't giving them.

Furthermore, why is MSRP the relevant point of comparison given our hypothetical buyer taking the time to cross-shop could easily take the time to get a Gladiator for thousands under MSRP in most markets?

But say we do use MSRP, and so we need to compare a Gladiator Sport S vs the Frontier Pro-4x. As an off-road vehicle I'm still not sure the Frontier comes out ahead. A Sport S has considerably better combined approach/breakover/departure angles, A Sport S is narrower on the trail. A Sport S has better ground clearance. The Pro-4x has larger tires and the locker, but all-in-all I'm not sure it would actually beat out a Sport S on a trail

Jeep is going to have to step up their game over the Frontier as much as they stepped it up for the Xterra, which is none. Or maybe I'm wrong and that "rear seat armrest" is going to really swing things :)
____

I'm being snotty here because I think the 20k number above is a wild exaggeration unless it means something as innocuous as "20k buyers will be aware the Frontier exists." But all that said I absolutely concede that for a buyer who wants 'just a truck' and who doesn't care about any of the Jeep-specific features of a Gladiator the Frontier is a better choice. But for that guy or gal every other midsize truck is a better choice and already has been since Gladiator launched. I therefore don't think on the margin the new Frontier represents any sort of threat that moves the needle for Jeep at all. And, based on 20 years of history, I think upper trim Frontier models aren't really going to represent much of a threat to any vehicle given the pricing overlap with the hyper-competitive full-size truck offerings on the market.

The GM twins will be all brand new in 2023 as well. Sure you can’t remove the doors or roof but it appears an equally optioned truck is 10k or more cheaper for what would be the oldest model in the segment is a hard pill to swallow. A revised baby dmax and the 2.7L that makes 310 / 420 in a midsize with more than likely great fuel economy is enticing .

I want a Gladiator because I like the looks and always wanted a Jeep truck. But I’m not going to spend more than what I can get a ZR2 for just cause “it’s a Jeep” and I’m still disappointed in the power train options. I’m hoping there’s a 4xe or v8 option for 2022.

Jerhemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Willys
Really?? Currently have the 8.4 UC and had it in my previous Grand Cherokee. Frequent freezes, flake-outs and flat out crashes to the point I couldn't use anything. This really sucked in the winter not having access to any heater controls. The Sync 3 in my 2017 F-150 was way more stable and reliable. Two years and not a single issue.
I really liked the sync system in my F150 as well. Uconnect seems decent so far, I hate the isolated/separate(?) speaker for the navigation though.

treadmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR, 2017 VW Golf R
I really liked the sync system in my F150 as well. Uconnect seems decent so far, I hate the isolated/separate(?) speaker for the navigation though.
I had the Sync in my 2015 F150. It was good, but I remember not being impressed with it and it freezing on occasion. The 8.4” UC in my 2019 JL was great, and I hope for the same for my 2021 JT arriving soon. Over the years, the UConnect system has received positive reviews In the industry. I was interested in the upcoming version 5, but not enough to hold off any longer on ordering my JT.
Sponsored