Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
Nothing to do with it - no comparison.
A V8 is similar width to a V6 like the 3.6
A V8 is marginally longer front to back than a V6.
A V8 is similar in length to a I4.
An I6 is a lot longer than a V8 or a V6 (especially the V6)

I've been involved in engine swaps in various classic cars for years - If you have the width you can put a V8 where an I6 came from, but you can't always put anI6 where a V8 came from.
In fact, I've seen people have trouble putting a 4.0 where a 196 or 199 came out of (Rambler American, for example)
A friend put a 360 (AMC) in a car a 232 came out of - and his only issue was making the steering shaft from the lower column clear the shorty headers. There was plenty of length.

In other words, length is the issue, not width. A v8 would easily fit. It's hardly any longer than the V6. The I6 is longer than either.
4.0L is roughly 32" from bellhousing to damper.
Gen 3 hemi is 29.675. so you are telling me there is less than 2.5 inches of room in our engine bay?
Sponsored

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
But the XJ was designed for a I6.....not the JTs
In theory maybe… again they had to clearance the firewall. But yes according to designers it was.

Also as papa stated earlier the 4.0 was a much longer motor. The hurricane was designed to fit where ever a v8 was already. So there are space saving measures included in the design.

PawsitiveTraction

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Ok, take the measurements on that.

Adding one forward facing cylinder is way different then 3. Y'all can't be that simple.
again same engine bays that ran i6 in ZJ ran v8.
difference between the 4.0 and a 6.4 is less than 2.5 inches

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
again same engine bays that ran i6 in ZJ ran v8.
difference between the 4.0 and a 6.4 is less than 2.5 inches
Again, you're comparing different platforms......apples vs oranges.

Of course a V8 will fit in where a I6 lives. Do I really need to research and get the numbers for you????? A inline 6 is longer then a V8. Go Google it and report back, holy hell. It becomes a factor of 6 vs 4.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
This I6TT is not going to fit in the current JT platform dot period. Not sure why it's still being rumored or discussed.

If you think I'm full of shit.......measure the distance between your V6 engine block and the radiator and tell me where the forward 3 cylinders are going to sit. It's simple math and space equation
Well, they say it's designed to fit where the current v8s fit, and the 392 "fits" in the JL (man, it's tight).

Maybe I'm doing my math wrong (im no mathmagician), but... a quick Google search tells me the bore on the ED is 3.27", 4.09" on the 6.4 Hemi, and 3.31" on the I6. In terms of total bore length, that's

9.81" ED (christ that's tiny)
16.36" 6.4
19.86" I6

So, the I6 is only 3.5" longer than the Hemi in terms of total bore space. I'm sure the engineers and designers can find 3.5" of space between the grille, accessories, cooling system, firewall, bore spacing, engine block etc etc etc.

Certainly not an easy task, I'm just going by Stellantis saying they're designing it to fit the the V8 does. No clue where the the turbos and piping would fit though...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In theory maybe… again they had to clearance the firewall. But yes according to designers it was.

Also as papa stated earlier the 4.0 was a much longer motor. The hurricane was designed to fit where ever a v8 was already. So there are space saving measures included in the design.
Well if that was truly the case, it would have been done already.

Taking the measurements from my 2.0t inline 4 and adding 2 more cylinders up front.......it doesn't fit based on your assumptions.

2.0 (4) = .5l per cylinder
3.0 (6) = .5l per cylinder

Do you really want me to take measurements and pictures to prove this is not feasible or would y'all like to operate with a 6 grade level of common sense.

Just like OJ, if the glove don't fit, you must acquit

PawsitiveTraction

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired

Taking the measurements from my 2.0t inline 4 and adding 2 more cylinders up front.......it doesn't fit based on your assumptions.

Do you really want me to take measurements and pictures to prove this is not feasible or would y'all like to operate with a 6 grade level of common sense.

Im new here but not to the topic we are discussing, so i will hold my tongue..... somewhat.
Do i need to break out crayons?
4.0L inline 6 is about 32 inches front to rear
a 6.4L (which are already being installed in JTs) is 29.675 inches front to rear.
THERE IS MOST DEFINATELY ENOUGH SPACE to drop a 4.0 into a JT.
why are you making this so hard?

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

But the bore spacing between the 3.0l and 2.0l are different. So once again you can’t compare it. Remember displacement is a measurement of bore and stroke.

A 4bt never came in a Dodge Durango and was much taller than a 318. Did not stop it from fitting pretty easily.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Im new here but not to the topic we are discussing, so i will hold my tongue..... somewhat.
Do i need to break out crayons?
4.0L inline 6 is about 32 inches front to rear
a 6.4L (which are already being installed in JTs) is 29.675 inches front to rear.
THERE IS MOST DEFINATELY ENOUGH SPACE to drop a 4.0 into a JT.
why are you making this so hard?
Well your crayons are F'd lol

There is and never has been a 4.0l offered in the JL or JT. So that comparison is completely and totally irrelevant, again comparing apples and oranges. Now if you want to compare the dimensions of the ole beloved 4.0l to that of the new 3.0tt ......then we might have a valid discussion point. I just already know how the 2.0t and 392 fit in to this platform.

Dude trust me........not trying to be some high and mighty punk ass here. Just a regular car/truck and Jeep dude ....nothing more. Time on the forum is no flex in my eyes.

Cheers mate

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But the bore spacing between the 3.0l and 2.0l are different. So once again you can’t compare it. Remember displacement is a measurement of bore and stroke.

A 4bt never came in a Dodge Durango and was much taller than a 318. Did not stop it from fitting pretty easily.
Provide your source......I will mine. FCA said the 3.0tt I6 would use the same architecture as the existing 2.0t

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/jeep-ram-hurricane-twin-turbo-engine-leaks

Check this out: same bore, stoke and cylinder spacing as the current 2.0t.........so everything I have been stating is factual and not BS.

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Provide your source......I will mine. FCA said the 3.0tt I6 would use the same architecture as the existing 2.0t
Architecture does not mean duplication. It can be scaled, adjusted, etc.

Again the hurricane had the design criteria to fit where a 5.7 fits. By your argument it wouldn’t based on your sizing. Even if the motor ends up slightly longer they can adjust firewall design and motor mount locations to make up a few inches.

By no means am I saying or ever have said it’s destined for the JL/JT platform. Just that if they wanted to they could make it so.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
That checks out: "Officially known as the GME-T6, the new Hurricane straight-six shares its bore, stroke and cylinder spacing with the GME-T4 Hurricane 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine"

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architecture does not mean duplication. It can be scaled, adjusted, etc.

Again the hurricane had the design criteria to fit where a 5.7 fits. By your argument it wouldn’t based on your sizing. Even if the motor ends up slightly longer they can adjust firewall design and motor mount locations to make up a few inches.

By no means am I saying or ever have said it’s destined for the JL/JT platform. Just that if they wanted to they could make it so.
It's all good man......by no means am I wanting to nor trying to get into a pissing contest here. Just discussing and providing facts and sources. Remember DMX said, talk is cheap motherfucker (my lame attempt to insert humor)

But generally.......using the same architecture means (in engineering terms or bean counter mindset) adding to or taking away from an already engineered/existing or proven platform: example the GM 4.2 I6 dropped down to the 3.5 I5 and then down to the 2.8 I4. Or going old school the 4.3 V6 was a GM 305 V8 small block with the back 2 cylinders wacked off.