Sponsored

4.63 gears? Nitro not doing 4.56 anymore?

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
math indicates it is 8 tooth pinion and 37 tooth ring gear.
Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
So, was curious as gears are on my "list"...

Seems Dana gears are loved by all, so I priced a set out, front and rear, including the Dana master install kits for front and rear:

Dana total $1125.98 from East Coast Gear

Nitro total as linked by OP $1146.00

So doesn't seem like the Dana's are any more expensive at least in this case. But I can't say which is better either from personal experience other than what I've read.

But for my money I'm going 5.13's on my 35's w/ the 6sp manual :like:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
You don't hear stories like this with Dana gears.
I suppose thats true, I honestly havent paid enough attention to the brand of each complaint to notice that.

OP
OP
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So got my manual trans Mojave back with the new 4.63 gears...

Good news: Gears work great, no noise, exactly the added torque I was looking for without making 1st too low.

Bad news: 2 issues cropped up. First, the auto start/stop light is on. This is a known issue that will require I disconnect the battery for some odd reason. Will try that tomorrow, likely will resolve that issue. Probably also force me to redo all of my Tazer settings (this issue is yet another *facepalm* for MTs as apparently autos don't experience it).

The second issue is that the gear I'm in no longer display on the dashboard. This seems to occur about the exact time the start/stop warning pops in, so they might be related?

Setting my gears to 4.63 in Taser didn't do anything, and despite clearing the codes, full reboots, etc, the stuff goes wonky again about 2 mins after starting the vehicle and driving a bit.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I had a manual trans JL in the shop that I regeared and I had to disconnect the battery as well. Seems like there was a drive sequence you need to follow like part throttle under a certain mph.

You are right.....none of the auto Jeeps have given me any issue like this.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just found this on the net: You need to do the sixth gear relearn process. Most reliable way to do it is disconnect your battery/batteries for a minute or so then drive in sixth gear above 50 mph with a constant pressure on the throttle for about 30 seconds.

I remember there being something about less than 50% throttle too, so I would drive easy.

OP
OP
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just found this on the net: You need to do the sixth gear relearn process. Most reliable way to do it is disconnect your battery/batteries for a minute or so then drive in sixth gear above 50 mph with a constant pressure on the throttle for about 30 seconds.

I remember there being something about less than 50% throttle too, so I would drive easy.
Yeah, I just read that it will also fix the issue with the gear not showing on the dash as well. Feel relieved, I'll try it after work.

Side note-- it's just really odd that this even matters with an MT. Why would the computer care what my gear ratio is...

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I just read that it will also fix the issue with the gear not showing on the dash as well. Feel relieved, I'll try it after work.

Side note-- it's just really odd that this even matters with an MT. Why would the computer care what my gear ratio is...
It's something with the system looking for revs per mile vs rpm and torque limiting if I remember right. Without a match, the cornputer doesn't know if clutch or wheels are slipping?

Funny thing is the automatic trans JK's will set an SES light and go into limp mode before I get to the street on a roadtest, but the manuals are fine? Late model vehicles are so quirky!

OP
OP
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem resolved. Oddly, there was a weird vibration on the shift lever in 3rd gear that also went away when the computer (?) re-learned 6th gear RPMs. ...and 6th gear is useable again.
Sponsored