Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Not sure if this info already made it to this thread but looks like Fiat already decided that 6MTs on 35s should run 4.88 gears. Gas Autos can get away with 4.56s...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-wrangler-xtreme-recon/
Actually, they did that as an option for bragging rights over the Bronco to get a 100:1 crawl ratio. 4.56 is the standard for Xtreme Recon with a manual and still gets you around 90:1. After living with 4.56 for awhile, I think it is perfect. I wouldn't want 1st or 6th to be any shorter. But glad they are offering 4.88. I think it'd be perfect for 37s or 35s in the mountains.

And it is no longer Fiat, but Stellantis. Or you could say Peugeot. 😁

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Actually, they did that as an option for bragging rights over the Bronco to get a 100:1 crawl ratio. 4.56 is the standard for Xtreme Recon with a manual and still gets you around 90:1. After living with 4.56 for awhile, I think it is perfect. I wouldn't want 1st or 6th to be any shorter. But glad they are offering 4.88. I think it'd be perfect for 37s or 35s in the mountains.

And it is no longer Fiat, but Stellantis. Or you could say Peugeot. 😁
Is it official that Stellantis (or whoever they are today :)) has choosen to make 4.56 gears "standard" with the manual? The article from motortrend was pretty unambiguous: " Both the 392 and the Rubicon fitted with the Xtreme Recon package will benefit from 4.56:1 final drive gearing, while manual-equipped Rubicon models will get a 4.88:1 final drive ratio." On the other hand a car and driver article (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-xtreme-recon-package-goes-sasquatch-hunting/) seems equally unambiguous that 4.88s will merely be available as an option on 6MTs... " For those who prefer to row their own gears, Rubicons equipped with the six-speed manual transmission can be optioned with 4:88.1 gearing that enables a crawl ratio of 100:1."

If I regear (after my warranty runs of course) then I'd prefer to go with 4.56s if possible. I'm looking for mileage and useable daily power with occasional towing - no drag strips or truck pulls in my future...
Sponsored