Sponsored

4.63 gears? Nitro not doing 4.56 anymore?

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have an appointment at a local shop to get re-geared. I requested 4.56 gears (currently running 4.10), and Nitro's were ordered. Today I receive a call from the shop stating their Nitro supplier is not doing 4.56 anymore and instead, 4.63 gears could be ordered. This seems odd to me as I can find very little info on 4.63 for the Gladiator, experiences, etc. It's a minor difference, but would push RPMs maybe another 100 or so higher in each gear (rough estimate).

Anyone have thoughts on this? Yes, I could ask for another brand of 4.56, but wondering if anyone has heard this before (4.63)? Also, does the Tazer even have a 4.63 setting for ratio?
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im interested in how they turn out. Im in the 90,000+ area on my 2019 jt so if i keep it..gears may be on the menu and i was thinking 4.56 (have 4.10 now) since im running near stock tires and will for the remaining time with the jt.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have an appointment at a local shop to get re-geared. I requested 4.56 gears (currently running 4.10), and Nitro's were ordered. Today I receive a call from the shop stating their Nitro supplier is not doing 4.56 anymore and instead, 4.63 gears could be ordered. This seems odd to me as I can find very little info on 4.63 for the Gladiator, experiences, etc. It's a minor difference, but would push RPMs maybe another 100 or so higher in each gear (rough estimate).

Anyone have thoughts on this? Yes, I could ask for another brand of 4.56, but wondering if anyone has heard this before (4.63)? Also, does the Tazer even have a 4.63 setting for ratio?
If I remember correctly the Tazer sets in increments of .01 so yes it will input 4.63. That is a strange (for JT) ratio. Actually I've never heard of it. The ratio is derived by simple division. 5.13 gear is a 41 tooth gear and 8 tooth pinion. 41÷8=5.125 rounded up to 5.13. At least that's my understanding of it.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If I remember correctly the Tazer sets in increments of .01 so yes it will input 4.63. That is a strange (for JT) ratio. Actually I've never heard of it. The ratio is derived by simple division. 5.13 gear is a 41 tooth gear and 8 tooth pinion. 41÷8=5.125 rounded up to 5.13. At least that's my understanding of it.
Here's the link to it. I don't know how they arrive at 4.63.
https://www.morris4x4center.com/nitro-gear-4-63-ratio-front-and-rear-gear-package-kit-1.html

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
A word of caution here. I remember a video where someone's rear end went out. I can't remember if it had Yukon or Nitro gearsets. They had an oddball ratio and when they attempted to have a set overnighted they were backordered and not available. The only remedy was to change the gearing to one that had the capacity to not be backordered and a more substantial name brand. I believe he want with Dana/Spicer. So he had to do 2 axles when he only needed 1 for the fix. Moral to the story, buy once cry once and be very cautious of oddball gearing. My $.02.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I'm not sure if this is the "next big thing" for Jeep gearing or not, but when you think about it, it's at least brilliant marketing. Those who go back and forth between 4.56 or 4.88 now have a 'sweet spot' option...

Maybe I'm just a very early adopter, under duress I guess.

OP
OP
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4.56 to 4.63 is such a minor difference. It’s a 0.015 difference.

2,500 rpm with 4.56 = 2,538 rpm with 4.63.

Are you sure you only want 4.56/4.63?
It's a daily driver that got sluggish (and I basically lost 6th gear) when I went 35's and added 200+ lbs of steel bumpers, full belly skid and winch. I'd rather have highway gears than rock gears.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
It's a daily driver that got sluggish (and I basically lost 6th gear) when I went 35's and added 200+ lbs of steel bumpers, full belly skid and winch. I'd rather have highway gears than rock gears.
Ok, that makes sense. I thought maybe you have a 6 speed.

No Dana gears available?

OP
OP
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, that makes sense. I thought maybe you have a 6 speed.

No Dana gears available?
I do have the 6th speed. The gears were ordered so figured I'd do some research and decide if I'm ok with 4.63 or want to insist on 4.56 from someone else.

Your post above suggests the difference is nominal, so I'm fine with the ratio if that is "the future" for Nitro. They're still a respectable brand, and a bit cheaper than Yukon

Sponsored

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer

My son is running 4.63 gear in his 21 Jtr diesel 3.5 lift on 37's he like the gear in the diesel I just went to 4.88 gear in same setup 21 Jtr diesel 36's absolutely live it in the diesel think I'll put same gear in in my 21 Ht Sport S pulls better cools better great gear for the duesel on 37's

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For that matter, the difference between 4.10 and 4.56 isn't even that much. I'd go 4.88 at least. The 5.13s for my Gladiator on 37s was perfect. I would think 4.88 on 35s would be the sweet spot.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
For that matter, the difference between 4.10 and 4.56 isn't even that much. I'd go 4.88 at least. The 5.13s for my Gladiator on 37s was perfect. I would think 4.88 on 35s would be the sweet spot.
I'm in agreement with this. You do you, but with as much as these motors like to spin, it seems like a waste of install money to only go 4.56/4.63. Just me though. Personally, I'm going 5.13 with my 6MT/JTR/35s. That gets me up to 83mph in 6th before the 2nd stage oil pump kicks in. I have no desire to go faster than that in this thing.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
A word of caution here. I remember a video where someone's rear end went out. I can't remember if it had Yukon or Nitro gearsets. They had an oddball ratio and when they attempted to have a set overnighted they were backordered and not available. The only remedy was to change the gearing to one that had the capacity to not be backordered and a more substantial name brand. I believe he want with Dana/Spicer. So he had to do 2 axles when he only needed 1 for the fix. Moral to the story, buy once cry once and be very cautious of oddball gearing. My $.02.
You might be thinking about Ozark Overland Adventures who went with 5.29s? I think it was a pinion set-up issue that lead to the failure (not bashing brand "x" or "y") but the point of the story (@ 4:15 mark in video) was that only one company made them and support was extremely limited. Good callout none-the-less to have better aftermarket support for a widely supported 5.13 gear set.

Yes, he also went with Nitro...

OP
OP
Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in agreement with this. You do you, but with as much as these motors like to spin, it seems like a waste of install money to only go 4.56/4.63. Just me though. Personally, I'm going 5.13 with my 6MT/JTR/35s. That gets me up to 83mph in 6th before the 2nd stage oil pump kicks in. I have no desire to go faster than that in this thing.
What RPMs are you seeing in 6th gear on the interstate? At 4.56 you're already 2400, which seems to be the perfect combo of fuel economy and torque to not have to downshift at every hill or headwind. I'd imagine 4.88 you're closer to 3k. That's great torque, and I'm sure the engine can handle it, but it's probably also costing you 1-2 MPG. No, the Jeep was not made to be efficient, totally get that-- but 1-2 MPG when you're already only getting 16-19 is significant if you'll be on the interstate more than on rocks.
Sponsored