Actual out the door pricing

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Alright let me ask you about the actual price you paid. I see 5% under invoice and then I see $1495 destination and ~$300 doc fee, etc. It seems like if take a 50k gladiator and subtract 2500 but then add back the destination and fees you aren't even at 2% under invoice. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Alright let me ask you about the actual price you paid. I see 5% under invoice and then I see $1495 destination and ~$300 doc fee, etc. It seems like if take a 50k gladiator and subtract 2500 but then add back the destination and fees you aren't even at 2% under invoice. Am I missing something?
The destination fee is FCA's work not the dealer. The document fee is the dealer.

I want my dealer to make money, I want him to be happy to see me coming, I want a dealer to support me after the sale.

If the dealer whips out his tiny little wang and attempts to mount me up, I'll lapse into a dimension of pissed off that would make a Mexican prison guard piss himself.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
By 50k gladiator are you saying 50k invoice or MSRP?

Depends on your build and where you live. Invoice is ~95% of base vehicle + ~89% of options you pick. Use the sticky calculator to figure your build invoice. Add destination back in. Then take discount. Then add in doc fees, state taxes, etc.

Here's my LE (assuming it arrives someday). That's 5% under invoice ($58,379), or ~11% under MSRP. Registering in OR, so no sales tax.

upload_2019-6-28_20-3-39.png

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Okay so I guess what I'm asking is if you think an overall ~2% under invoice out the door price is a good deal on this or any other vehicle? Now I understand dealers need to make money and destination fees are FCA and the gladiator is new etc. Im just curious about this I've never bought a new car. My priced out gladiator at invoice was 51k, which is a lot of money. I just don't have much perspective here.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Okay so I guess what I'm asking is if you think an overall ~2% under invoice out the door price is a good deal on this or any other vehicle? Now I understand dealers need to make money and destination fees are FCA and the gladiator is new etc. Im just curious about this I've never bought a new car. My priced out gladiator at invoice was 51k, which is a lot of money. I just don't have much perspective here.
2% under invoice, out the door is a good deal, yes

Sponsored

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
I'm going through the same thing right now with this possible purchase. Here's how I look at it, any company needs to make a profit. Thats the bottom line. In order to do this, they need to charge more than what the vehicle is worth to produce. That being said, 3 years ago I laughed at everyone who bought brand new....depreciation is ridiculous the min you drive off the lot, dest fees, dealer fees, property taxes....f all that. I was more than happy buying my $4000 XJ, dumping $4000 into it, and out wheeling any $60,000 rubicon i came across. This was all at a risk of breaking down due to its older age and high mileage. I limited myself when it came to longer road trips, i overlooked my OCD and tried to ignore the dirty interiors and poorly maintained undercarriage by the previous owner. NOW, I am getting fed up with all that, so as of last year, I've decided for the first time ever, that it may be worth supporting businesses and total strangers by over paying for a product. The reliability, brand spanking new, clean, never before owned concept is giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling. This is why I'm overlooking the lack of logical decision, that buying a new car actually is.

It all comes down to your reasoning behind doing so, what is it worth to you as a person. If you have specific reasons, then doing your best after some homework and finding the cheapest offer from a dealer will be worth it no matter what, if you just want it just because, well then yes maybe paying any amount for a new vehicle isn't worth it. Good luck with your decision either way!

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
So, first off, you are still missing a couple of items for OTD, number one: TAX.

Lets use some made up numbers for ease:
MSRP (sticker) $50,000
Invoice $47,500
(roughly 95%)

THEN ADD:
Destination Fee $1495.00
ALL dealers add the $1495 destination fee, it's right on the sticker from FCA. You're stuck with it.
Doc Fee $ anywhere from 0 to $2000.00 or higher maybe? Ya, I live in Florida, they'll charge you that and not even kiss you afterwards. This can be called Doc Fee, Dealer Fee, Admin Fee, Shove it to you Fee, etc. They vary widely, so you may want to watch these. Honestly, any dealer under $500.00 is OK, any higher and they're trying to do unnatural things to you.
ADM FEE $ anywhere from 0 to $20,000. Additional Dealer Markup UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU PAY THIS!!! IT HURTS MY SOUL THAT DEALERS EVEN TRY THIS CRAP!
TT&L $ Tax, Title, and License. This does not change depending on the dealer, it is according to the state you will license the vehicle.

wheew, OK then:

A MSRP (sticker price) vehicle for me in Florida:
$50,000.00 Sticker
$ 1495.00 Dest
$ 1495.00 DOC
$ 5000.00 ADM
$57,990.00 subtotal
$ 3769.35 Tax
$ 250.00 Title&License (guess)
$62,009.35 OTD

Same Vehicle in theory but bought somewhere else:
$47,500.00 Invoice
$ -2375.00 -5%
$ 1495.00 Dest
$ 75.00 Doc
$ 0.00 ADM
$46,695.00 subtotal <-THIS WOULD BE MY OTD but not yet done, as I'd then return to Florida and pay the TTL
When I got home:
$ 3035.18 Tax
$ 250.00 Title&License (guess)
$49,980.18 MY FINAL COST

Last edited:

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
My deal worked out like this.

MSRP w/Options $42,540 - Includes $1495 Destination Fee
Dealer Discount $41,155 - Includes $1495 Destination Fee
Tax, Tags, Doc, and Other Fees $1,752.69
Out The Door $42,907.69

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
*SNIP* The reliability, brand spanking new, clean, never before owned concept is giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling. This is why I'm overlooking the lack of logical decision, that buying a new car actually is. *SNIP*
The single most important consideration when buying new is the very simple fact that IF PROPERLY MAINTAINED and not abused, almost every manufacturer makes a good vehicle.

The weak point in almost all of them , is the piece of meat in the seat, who fails to maintain one properly and/or drives it like he stole it.

I have bought 1 used vehicle in the 21st century, a "Toyota Certified Used" 2007 Rav 4 for one of my kids, it was a god vehicle but aged at a rate exponentially faster than any of the other new vehicles I have bought despite the fact it was one model year old, and had less than 20k on the clock.

People are stupid, spend any amount of time on any forum related to machinery, and you will find out that a massive percentage of people are so mechanically inept, that they have to wear slip on shoes.

So when the "new" wears off their new car, the first thing that happens is they slack up on maintenance. Does it look good on a dealer lot? Sure. Is it actually good? Maybe.

I'll take the hit and buy new. Buy smart , buy something you will be good with driving for 7-10 years, and carry on.

That said, Jeep residual value retention is absolutely nuts (as with a few other vehicles) so it's almost a no brainer.

Stacked JT

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stingray JT Rubicon
I havent dealt with purchasing a Jeep yet, but from the last few cars ive purchased new, the dealer will also try to bait you into paying for extended service contracts, wheel/tire insurance, GAP etc. etc. etc. Be prepared

Sponsored

Lindacamp941

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7,2014 stingray, 2012 Tacoma
My deal worked out like this.

MSRP w/Options $42,540 - Includes $1495 Destination Fee
Dealer Discount $41,155 - Includes $1495 Destination Fee
Tax, Tags, Doc, and Other Fees $1,752.69
Out The Door $42,907.69
I don't see your state tax in these quotes

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
I havent dealt with purchasing a Jeep yet, but from the last few cars ive purchased new, the dealer will also try to bait you into paying for extended service contracts, wheel/tire insurance, GAP etc. etc. etc. Be prepared
upload_2019-6-29_17-32-1.png

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
LOL Yeah, when I signed my paperwork last week the business manager tried to get me to buy extended warranty on the LE cuz it was such an expensive car and it would be a mistake blah blah cuz it has a lot of electronics LOL. I was like I know cars, electronics and computers, so I will be fine trust me I don't need it and after a few tries he just dropped it. I did add GAP insurance to my insurance through Progressive though but it only cost me like $6 additional charge per month so I was like why not just in case...

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
I don't see your state tax in these quotes
Ya got me thinking so I started playing with the Dealers Worksheet. So here's the detailed brake out.

Price $41155.00
BPP/Loaner $495.00
Govt Fees $349.75
Taxes $2408.94
Doc Fee $299.00
Total $44707.96

Trade -$1800.00
Out The Door $42907.69

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
MSRP: $60,345
Deal Made: $54,002
OH Tax 7%: $3,780
Dealer Fees: $350
Total Cost: $58,132 (includes destination fee)

I will be placing about 4k Down
Sponsored