OP

catronro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
Looks great. I plan on getting that lift. I currently have a 1" leveling spacer up front and RR Arcus Stubby with Warn winch. Do you think I will need to keep the spacer to make it level?
I am not running a spacer. There is a 1/2 in difference between the front and back on my setup, which i think looks good. Really comes down to personal preference.
Sponsored

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Just want to verify that the stock Rubicon wheels clear the swaybar links?

OP
OP

catronro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
Just want to verify that the stock Rubicon wheels clear the swaybar links?
yes my setup clears the swaybars. I Did rub on the front skid plate covering the swaybar disconnect motor at full lock, but some simple trimming fixed that issue.

keep in mind I have an adjustable front trackbar so that I can recenter my axle.

Robert

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
Here are my initial thoughts on the AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System

Build List:
- AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System
- Synergy Front Track Bar
- Synergy Front Track Bar Brace
- Teraflex Falcon 2.2 Front Steering Stabilizer
- 37" Milestar Patagonias (~35.5" Measured @ 30 psi on stock Rubicon wheels)
- Metalcloak Front Bump Stops
- Timbren Rear Active Bump stops

My Intended Use:
- Daily Driver
- Forest Roads / Hunting
- Intermediate Trails in Southwest Colorado (Imogene Pass is the hardest thing i am doing in this rig)
- (NOTE I have a JK with hemi, Metalcloak suspension, Dana 60, 40" tires, atlas transfer case, etc...so i don't need my glady to be a rock crawler)

Goals:
- Golden Rule: Whatever you do, look cool doing it
- Tighten up the ride, the stock rubicon suspension is way too soft IMHO. It rocks you all over the place.
- Provide ground clearance for intended trails
- Good on-road handling
- Leave as much stock as possible

Experience before this suspension:
- ~2,000 miles on stock suspension
- ~3,000 miles on AEV spacer lift

Thoughts:
- Ride is amazing! 1000% improvement
  • Keep in mind this is a stiffer tuned shock. I am running my tires @ 30 psi and the Patagonia's sidewalls aren't as stiff as some other tires. Different tires, psi settings, and personal preference can change ride quality.
- Install was in 2 stages:
  1. Installed just the shocks. This made a huge improvement over the Stock Rubicon fox shocks. It takes almost all the body roll out and made driving enjoyable. If you are looking for a cheap improvement to ride quality you may look into a set of properly tuned Bilstein 5100s (AEV tunes theirs specifically for the glady).
  2. Installed rest of kit. This fixed the remaining issues, such as diving during breaking, porpoising , and odd roll center from the rear end coming out of turn
- Lift Height.
  1. Factory Steel Bumpers, 37" Spare mounted under bed, No Winch
  2. Height measured from bottom of stock rubicon rock rail to ground
    1. Front = 22"
    2. Rear = 22.5"
  3. Height measured from bottom lip of rim to bottom lip of fender
    1. Front = 36"
    2. Rear = 35.5"
  4. It is 1.25" higher in the rear than the 2" AEV spacer kit
  5. I cant do a stock comparison because I don't have stock numbers

- Front caster is at 4.7 degrees with 2-3" setting. This is less than we would like, would prefer 5.5-6 degrees
- Ubolt holding the rear trackbar bracket to the axle broke while torqueing it. Instructions call for 45 ft lbs of torque, the bolt broke at 30.

Overall, this met all my goals and I am happy with the outcome. I would recommend (if your intended use is similar to mine). Will report back as time goes on, get offroad use.

glad-jpg.jpg

glad-2-jpg.jpg
I'm looking at this kit and the Clayton ride right kit. Originally I was set on AEV, but after their customer service refused to give me the weight ratings of their springs, I am concerned they will not support the weight of my truck. I run with between 600-700 pounds all the time in the bed of the truck. What has been your experience with weight on this kit?

I have no doubt the Clayton kit will support it, but for some reason I am drawn to the AEV kit more. Plus I like the fact AEV includes shocks that are tuned to the kit.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Look at metal cloak and talk to your off-road shop. See what they say

Sponsored

OP
OP

catronro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
I'm looking at this kit and the Clayton ride right kit. Originally I was set on AEV, but after their customer service refused to give me the weight ratings of their springs, I am concerned they will not support the weight of my truck. I run with between 600-700 pounds all the time in the bed of the truck. What has been your experience with weight on this kit?

I have no doubt the Clayton kit will support it, but for some reason I am drawn to the AEV kit more. Plus I like the fact AEV includes shocks that are tuned to the kit.
Sorry, but I havent had that much load in the back of mine yet. I will say that aev usually does a standard and a heavy capacity spring for their lifts.

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gobi gas, 2022 JT Willys Gobi gas

I'm in the same boat! Love AEV but the standard springs will not support the 600# static weight of rack with RTT etc. Hopefully AEV releases a HV/overland kit soon.

Currently using a ICON billet spacer (1 3/8") in the rear to compensate for the 600#s.

Clayton is the best bet on the market currently.

Good luck, safe travels.

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
I'm in the same boat! Love AEV but the standard springs will not support the 600# static weight of rack with RTT etc. Hopefully AEV releases a HV/overland kit soon.

Currently using a ICON billet spacer (1 3/8") in the rear to compensate for the 600#s.

Good luck, safe travels.

Good luck, safe travels.
Do you think the Clayton springs are strong enough for the weight? I currently have a Teraflex leveling kit that includes a 1/2 inch spacer in the back and I have air bags in the back as well.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
i wouldnt be surprised if the AEV cna support that weight. It was specifically designed to increase the functional capacity of the truck; and why you dont see them articulate that well unladen.

im not digging the clayton kit; they make great stuff. But id bet you a bottle of BBQ Sauce the AEV is the stiffest springs on the market.

get the OP to help you out by measuring the compression of his lift under a couple hundred lbs of weight. Its a triple rate rear coil; so you can calculate the rough lb/in of the spring under 200lb of compression; multiply it by 3, and know youll compress less than that. From there, you can either a- add a small spacer or b- add an airbag assist.

i dont think youll have a true severe duty weight coil that you know the spring rate of until you have one custom wound or ARB/OME releases their version and provides the data; but id bet the AEV will do what you need it to.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i wouldnt be surprised if the AEV cna support that weight. It was specifically designed to increase the functional capacity of the truck; and why you dont see them articulate that well unladen.

im not digging the clayton kit; they make great stuff. But id bet you a bottle of BBQ Sauce the AEV is the stiffest springs on the market.

get the OP to help you out by measuring the compression of his lift under a couple hundred lbs of weight. Its a triple rate rear coil; so you can calculate the rough lb/in of the spring under 200lb of compression; multiply it by 3, and know youll compress less than that. From there, you can either a- add a small spacer or b- add an airbag assist.

i dont think youll have a true severe duty weight coil that you know the spring rate of until you have one custom wound or ARB/OME releases their version and provides the data; but id bet the AEV will do what you need it to.
Sweet Baby Ray's?
Jeep Gladiator AEV 2.5 DualSport RT Suspension System - Review 1994022

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Sweet Baby Rays?
1994022.jpg
sure. But only if you prove me wrong and talk dirty to me. 😎

i didnt realize you guys were making springs that stiff. Thats pretty awesome. 👍

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
sure. But only if you prove me wrong and talk dirty to me. 😎
If posting our spring rates is considered dirty talk I'm here to help :like:

Without knowing exactly what AEV's coils are rated at, it's hard to say, however I'm pretty confident there are not currently any spring options on the market rated higher than ours. We also have HD coils coming to market soon for those of you with the insane Overland builds, so look out for that! Also, remember high-quality springs are great and we take pride in having some of the most dependable options for kits and springs on the market, but what makes them really great and work well is when they're paired with a high-quality set of control arms and track bars that are adjustable and are able to move freely so that your suspension is not bound up and riding harshly!

Clayton JT 3.5" published spring rates:

Front;
  • Spring Rate = 188 lb/in
Rear;
  • Triple Rate
  • Spring Rate 1 = 190 lbs/in
  • Spring Rate 2 = 280 lbs/in
  • Spring Rate 3 = 360 lbs/in
If you do decide to send us BBQ sauce, please make sure it is in the Gallon sized bottle as we don't want any employees feeling left out!!

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If posting our spring rates is considered dirty talk I'm here to help :like:

Without knowing exactly what AEV's coils are rated at, it's hard to say, however I'm pretty confident there are not currently any spring options on the market rated higher than ours. We also have HD coils coming to market soon for those of you with the insane Overland builds, so look out for that! Also, remember high-quality springs are great and we take pride in having some of the most dependable options for kits and springs on the market, but what makes them really great and work well is when they're paired with a high-quality set of control arms and track bars that are adjustable and are able to move freely so that your suspension is not bound up and riding harshly!

Clayton JT 3.5" published spring rates:

Front;
  • Spring Rate = 188 lb/in
Rear;
  • Triple Rate
  • Spring Rate 1 = 190 lbs/in
  • Spring Rate 2 = 280 lbs/in
  • Spring Rate 3 = 360 lbs/in
If you do decide to send us BBQ sauce, please make sure it is in the Gallon sized bottle as we don't want any employees feeling left out!!
i dont know what AEV’s is; but ill fully admit it was a- a guess and b- that youre way stiffer than id thought you’d be.

tell you what. Double or nothing. Get my control arms to me for the Mojave and Ill bring a gallon of SBR’s and a 10lb brisket when i go right by the shop to drop the KTM up at Bren for tuning. ;)

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i dont know what AEV’s is; but ill fully admit it was a- a guess and b- that youre way stiffer than id thought you’d be.

tell you what. Double or nothing. Get my control arms to me for the Mojave and Ill bring a gallon of SBR’s and a 10lb brisket when i go right by the shop to drop the KTM up at Bren for tuning. ;)
If you placed an order for control arms they should be shipping out within 1 to 2 weeks! Covid-free Brisket please :fingerscrossed:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If you placed an order for control arms they should be shipping out within 1 to 2 weeks! Covid-free Brisket please :fingerscrossed:
Easy. i take a cell wall inhibitor. Havent been sick in 3 years. Covid stands a higher chance of catching me.
Sponsored