ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
wow the Aev just looks so cheap......is it just me or does the kit just look so sad and depressing(aka basic as hell) in general tbh
Sponsored

njjeepthing

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blinkerfluidproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Event Planner
wow the Aev just looks so cheap......is it just me or does the kit just look so sad and depressing(aka basic as hell) in general tbh
That is the AEV way, a keep it simple solution, no need to complicate it!

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Definitely a market out there for value lifts. Whether the springs are worthy of the price will just have to be shown. Agree that if overlanding with only minor to medium obstacles is the goal, this system could make sense. But if the system didnt manage loads any better than other choices, the other choices probably have better strength and/or value depending on kit.

Nate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist
Waiting on Synergy Manufacturing to get the JT rear arms and track bar done..... Best system I've ridden in was a hybrid of Synergy hardware and AEV Spring/Shock combo

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Elsewhere it was said that AEV will be offering the kid basic with 5100's and the 8100 remotes will be an option....but all TBD. they got crushed with lock downs and sorting out some new materials, in addition to getting some more factory deals to work.

The wait for AEV stuff is painful, but its usually worth it for people who want factory+ performance. The majority of lift companies churning out crap for jeeps dont even know what spring frequency tuning is, fewer know how to do it, and fewer still actually do it. Most of the stuff for jeeps is "bruh lifts". "yeah bruh. add X% to the spring rate, jack the thing up 2.5-6", and add some flashy control arms. Totally bruh. And those nice looking shocks too". The majority are junk, the majority don't have the ability to actually develop the right valving, etc. They get away with it because the vast majority of drivers dont know what right feels like either. So if its got big tires, lots of lines running around the shocks, and some cool anodized colors/adjusters, it'll get bought. And you see the result. Sagging rear ends, jeeps bouncing up and down as they roll down the road, pitching forward and back unnecessarily over bumps, visible alignment issues under hard braking, etc etc. Measuring and making a bracket/spacer/bar/shock/spring to FIT is NOT the same thing as engineering it to WORK.

AEV makes their money with the ability to actually frequency tune suspension, stamp steel geometry brackets, have bilstein develop application specific valving for the application, and then conduct DOT/NHTSA testing on the results. Im not personally aware of any other company that does that. Id personally rather have a 2.5" suspension on 35-37" tires with 2" standard shocks that are valved right than a 4" bruh lift with remote reservoirs on 37-40" tires that drives like shit. You still want the vehicle you cart your kids around in to be able to emergency brake. Emergency lane change under load. Commute to work. etc.

They take a long time to bring things to market. They can be a pain in the ass to deal with as a customer. But they make really, really good shit.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I have decided not to rush into lifting my truck but the end goal is 2"-2.5" w/ 35s on my Sport S 6mt. My truck is my daily driver first and foremost but is also used to haul mulch for my yard in the spring, load up the bed with home depot supplies for a house project, and then....take me off road and camping in places like Imogene Pass CO. Taking all of this into consideration I have found a few lift kits that have caught my eye for my needs and similar in cost (money is also a consideration for me).

1. MOPAR lift: 2" fixed LCAs, no track bars, linear rate springs, comes with Fox 2.0

2. Rusty's 2" Basic: Adjustable LCAs, front and rear adjustable track bars, dual rate progressive springs by Eibach (will pair w/ Fox 2.0)

3. Clayton 2.5" ride right: Adjustable UCAs, adj front and rear track bars, linear front springs and triple rate rear springs (will pair w/ Fox 2.0)

4. AEV 2.5" Dualsport: Control Arm relocation brackets, track bar relocation brackets, triple rate coils springs, Bilstein shocks, rear driveshaft shims

It's a little bizarre to me that there are so many different ways of achieving the same goal: compliant street ride, more flex offroad, and bigger tires. Not one of these manufacturers take the same approach to making that happen but they all seem fairly high quality.

After actually reading through AEVs site and the install instructions it seems to me there was rational for everything they chose to do. I had initially wrote off this system but after reading through the product page it may be at the top of my list, even though I am not psyched about their shock choice.

I know this is super long winded but I am hoping for some conversation about the kits listed above as I think they should be a consideration for anyone in the market for a kit like AEVs. I would love to hear from anyone with some expertise that can dissect why some companies choose linear vs double and triple rate springs, adj UCA's vs adj and fixed LCA's vs brackets, etc. Thanks for reading

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
IMO control arm relocation brackets give a better ride than longer control arms as it maintains the angle on the arm which allows the tires to absorb impact better. In the past the Rancho brackets were stronger than the AEV but now it looks like AEV is making them the same as Rancho but at almost twice the price.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
IMO control arm relocation brackets give a better ride than longer control arms as it maintains the angle on the arm which allows the tires to absorb impact better. In the past the Rancho brackets were stronger than the AEV but now it looks like AEV is making them the same as Rancho but at almost twice the price.
can you elaborate on why the ranchos were stronger, how they were made, and what they were made out of?

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I'm interested in a comparison of the brands mentioned above too. I had planned on going MetalCloak from the very beginning. I had their 2.5" Dual Rate kit on my JKR and loved it. Easy to install, aligned to factory settings and was a better than stock ride. I don't plan to do much more than an occasional Jeep Badge trail, no legit rock crawling, mostly overlanding...I tend to like to overbuild though and was planning on doing MC's Game Changer this time around, but I honestly don't think I need that. I'm running 35's now and am not sure I want to run 37's. I have a Rubi with MT and 37's will definitely need re-gearing...but with 35's, I'm actually good on stock suspension. But if I go with a slight less expensive lift to fit 37's, it would help offset the cost of gears. AEV was never on my list and neither was Rusty's, but I have been following the posts about Clayton.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
can you elaborate on why the ranchos were stronger, how they were made, and what they were made out of?
Up until recently AEV brackets were multi piece, each bracket was two pieces, one that went on each side of the frame and the mounting bolts held them together, the Rancho brackets a a welded box that slides over the frame, both are similar material 3/16” or so plate steel, the Rancho brackets are around $170 the new AEV made like the Rancho brackets are $300 the previous multi piece brackets were $150.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Up until recently AEV brackets were multi piece, each bracket was two pieces, one that went on each side of the frame and the mounting bolts held them together, the Rancho brackets a a welded box that slides over the frame, both are similar material 3/16” or so plate steel, the Rancho brackets are around $170 the new AEV made like the Rancho brackets are $300 the previous multi piece brackets were $150.
i guess the point of my question is how did you test what youre saying.