Troop

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition Rubicon
Hey All,

Just got a new 4" Ready LIft installed on my 2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Along with the new lift they installed a Rough Country front CV driveshaft.

When I throw the Jeep into 4WD I can hear the front driveshaft which I never did with the stock driveshaft on a 2" lift. Also the new driveshaft has an intermittent grinding like noise. I'm wondering if the driveshaft is out of balance? Or is it a bad u-joint?

I've attached a video and was hoping someone might have an idea.

Thanks.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Are rubbing on the exhaust loop up by the the transfer case connection?

It's a really tight area.

OP
OP
Troop

Troop

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are rubbing on the exhaust loop up by the the transfer case connection?

It's a really tight area.
Thanks but no rubbing that I can see. I think that's more of a problem for the thicker factory driveshaft with any lift 4" or more. The aftermarket driveshaft is much narrower and seems to have lots of space.

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
are you sure its the driveshaft ? Does it do this when your barely touching the gas pedal ?

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I'd pull the driveshaft off to confirm it's causing the noise. you also might have better luck finding the source, if it is the driveshaft, while it's off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Troop

Troop

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are you sure its the driveshaft ? Does it do this when your barely touching the gas pedal ?
Yeah I think so as it happens when as soon as I put the Jeep into 4WD and the front shaft starts to spin. Otherwise it's nice and quiet.

If I'm not giving it gas it is much quieter, not sure about barely touching gas. I can try that.

OP
OP
Troop

Troop

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd pull the driveshaft off to confirm it's causing the noise. you also might have better luck finding the source, if it is the driveshaft, while it's off.
Thanks. I may try that.

The noise definitely happens as soon as it goes into 4wd and the front shaft starts spinning with some gas.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
U joints will start clunking going in and out of gear, out of balance will get louder as speed increases.

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
did they have to change anything on the transfer case or differential when they installed the new driveshaft ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Troop

Troop

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did they have to change anything on the transfer case or differential when they installed the new driveshaft ?
The transfer case CV flange is replaced with a transfer case yoke, otherwise it is just a bolt on.

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
The transfer case CV flange is replaced with a transfer case yoke, otherwise it is just a bolt on.
interesting, wonder if it was torqued right. I would look there first

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You may have to adjust pinion angle now that you changed the driveshaft. Iā€™m battling this with my Adamā€™s 1350 driveshafts. After initial install I was getting a lot of drone/buzzing and vibration above ~68mph. Adjust the rear uppers so that the pinion angle was straight with the driveshaft, which got me to about 72mph before the vibration, but led to very bowed springs. Brought it slightly back to where it was for now till I figure how how you can achieve that angle without horribly off angled springs.

Interestingly, as a result of swapping my front axle shafts, I decided I will do a FAD delete. While I wait for the kit, Iā€™m running in 4H Auto, which seems to balance the vibration out a bit. Itā€™s only bad from 75-80mph, and then it just switches to a bad drone but little vibration.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
You may have to adjust pinion angle now that you changed the driveshaft. Iā€™m battling this with my Adamā€™s 1350 driveshafts. After initial install I was getting a lot of drone/buzzing and vibration above ~68mph. Adjust the rear uppers so that the pinion angle was straight with the driveshaft, which got me to about 72mph before the vibration, but led to very bowed springs. Brought it slightly back to where it was for now till I figure how how you can achieve that angle without horribly off angled springs.

Interestingly, as a result of swapping my front axle shafts, I decided I will do a FAD delete. While I wait for the kit, Iā€™m running in 4H Auto, which seems to balance the vibration out a bit. Itā€™s only bad from 75-80mph, and then it just switches to a bad drone but little vibration.
Unfortunately, when you try and adjust pinion angle. You change the caster too.
Sponsored