First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Executive
Installed Rockhard 4x4 aluminum (180lbs) complete belly pan skid plates with dual crossmembers today, what a pain...
Other than that, it is installed and quite nice. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with Artec and hope that installation is easier, but now that they're on I plan on putting them to good use.

index-php-action-dlattach-topic-4107-jpg.jpg

index-php-action-dlattach-topic-4107-jpg.jpg
Nice man! Might be a silly question, but do you have any idea why they didn’t provide protection for that exposed piece of the exhaust? I know the Motobilt one does, so just sort of curious why/why not.
Sponsored

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Nice man! Might be a silly question, but do you have any idea why they didn’t provide protection for that exposed piece of the exhaust? I know the Motobilt one does, so just sort of curious why/why not.

Probably not a very likely spot to get hit. Your guess is as good as mine, could be cost savings, lack of good mounting solution, no idea honestly.

cjellan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Executive
I didnt see it mentioned, but Motobuilt also makes a full skid plate system.

https://motobilt.com/collections/skid-plates-cross-members/products/jeep-jt-gladiator-skid-system

Price is good, but looks to be unfinished. I like this overall design the best of any of them that I have seen. Its on the heavy side. But given the price & the protection I think this may be the winner for me if nothing else I like better pops up in the next couple days. Figure its on the bottom & going to be abused so a rattle can rustoleum paint job as rust prevention would be good enough.

Edit: said screw it & ordered the motobuilt. Now sometime by July 13th I should have it.
Did you end up getting this badboy installed? I'm debating between this and the RH one, but was leaning towards the Motobilt because of the more full coverage and I like the option to pick my own powder coating color. Only hesitation is the crossmembers the RH comes with. Any issues with the built-in crossmembers that the Motobilt includes?

Thanks for the suggestion!
All very good questions.

I went with the Motobilt plates based on Bastage's suggestions and experiences here in this thread.

I will start with temps. All the temperatures that I can monitor stayed in the same ranges before and after the mods including the skidplates. I watched that pretty close for a while. The caveat on that statement is I haven't had them in a Texas summer yet.

On ground clearance. I didn't measure before and afters but guesstimate it is a touch lower than stock by maybe a half inch? I added 5 inches of GC, 3 inches of lift and 2 with the tires. The skids might have taken some back. But and it is a HUGE BUT, I know I am not tearing stuff up when I drag a little or even a LOT now. Second time I had it out I did a rock crawl that most folks in modified two and four door Jeeps wouldn't try.

I think the Westins would tear up quickly with the way I wheel. The smoot bottom slides on rocks but the Westins would catch. I did notice the Motobilt has some vents for mud and water and they seemed to work well.

FB_IMG_1605321997024.jpg

FB_IMG_1606562874212.jpg

FB_IMG_1606090661747.jpg

FB_IMG_1605322005630.jpg

FB_IMG_1605322087662.jpg

FB_IMG_1605321979089.jpg
Nice build man!

I am debating on this vs. the RH and the only thing that I'm hesitating on is the difference in crossmembers. Any issues with the approach Motobilt went with?

Love the red - looks great with the Rubi accents!

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
I too went with Artec.... the fit was amazing... millimeters apart in the gaps on the skids.. they all fit tight together.

But their instructions are not for a JT... you would think they could send a guy out with a camera, do and install and write up the parts that are different than the JL? Instead you are left to figure out the positioning of several brackets that are not in the instructions. So the negitve here wouldbe that they don't actually have a set of instructions for a JT. the front skid plate mounts are nothing similar to the JL. The rear gas tank mounts entirely differently than the JL, and there is this strap on the JT gas tank that has to be removed for everything to fit right, but is not mentioned in the instructions at all. So that is the one complaint.

After figuring all of that out on your own... every thing fits very tight, parts are high quality, you really do gain GC! and it is flush mounted on all the fastners.

I treated mine with a teflon paint to keep it slick in the snow, I've hit them a few times... and have no dents... just normal shallow grooves like I get in all skid plates...
Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options PXL_20210901_055917857
Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options PXL_20210901_055747960

AZ_Adventure_Clicks

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardmitchellphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
VBS Consultant
I too went with Artec.... the fit was amazing... millimeters apart in the gaps on the skids.. they all fit tight together.

But their instructions are not for a JT... you would think they could send a guy out with a camera, do and install and write up the parts that are different than the JL? Instead you are left to figure out the positioning of several brackets that are not in the instructions. So the negitve here wouldbe that they don't actually have a set of instructions for a JT. the front skid plate mounts are nothing similar to the JL. The rear gas tank mounts entirely differently than the JL, and there is this strap on the JT gas tank that has to be removed for everything to fit right, but is not mentioned in the instructions at all. So that is the one complaint.

After figuring all of that out on your own... every thing fits very tight, parts are high quality, you really do gain GC! and it is flush mounted on all the fastners.

I treated mine with a teflon paint to keep it slick in the snow, I've hit them a few times... and have no dents... just normal shallow grooves like I get in all skid plates...
looks like the only other exposed parts are the CA hangers, diff and resonator? I'm debating whether to get a "full belly pan" because it looks like a lot of the stuff they cover doesn't actually need protection.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I’m in the market too, and read the entire thread for info. The gas tank definitely needs to be covered, I already dented mine a little. I like the Rockhard kit but it’s 12 weeks out to get one. The Motobilt is the other one I really like but it has drawbacks. It’s not painted and if you don’t have all the threaded nuts welded on from the factory you need to weld some on (included). My Mojave has all but two, so I will need them welded. It covers the rear exhaust but not the loop in the front. The other kits don’t cover the exhaust at all. Quadratec has an aluminum set too, but it also ignores the exhaust. Once again I have many choices but none cover everything, or are available. 😕
From Motobilt-
Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options 1AF8379E-3994-4822-9390-E75D200454D7

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
looks like the only other exposed parts are the CA hangers, diff and resonator? I'm debating whether to get a "full belly pan" because it looks like a lot of the stuff they cover doesn't actually need protection.
Depends on what you need but if you're going with most body pans, the fuel tank skid stays in place (as Jeep only straps one side and the other side of the tank is supported by the skid) so you're adding a lot of weight. Artec doesn't do this so their aluminum system only adds like 20# to the truck with nearly full protection. It's the one dig I have at my Metalcloak skid system and I'm definitely going to find a way to remedy it at some point.

For me it's not 100% protection but also that it creates a mostly flat bottom that slides over rocks instead of just getting hung up on things. Probably less important if you're just doing forest trails but here in the west it's pretty effective with this long ass wheelbase. If I were still in VA odds are I'd just have gone with a few aluminum skids for the front half.

AZ_Adventure_Clicks

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardmitchellphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
VBS Consultant
Depends on what you need but if you're going with most body pans, the fuel tank skid stays in place (as Jeep only straps one side and the other side of the tank is supported by the skid) so you're adding a lot of weight. Artec doesn't do this so their aluminum system only adds like 20# to the truck with nearly full protection. It's the one dig I have at my Metalcloak skid system and I'm definitely going to find a way to remedy it at some point.

For me it's not 100% protection but also that it creates a mostly flat bottom that slides over rocks instead of just getting hung up on things. Probably less important if you're just doing forest trails but here in the west it's pretty effective with this long ass wheelbase. If I were still in VA odds are I'd just have gone with a few aluminum skids for the front half.
I'm in AZ, so rocks matter. :)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I haven't seen M.O.R.E. mentioned in this thread, but they offer a system that can be bought piece by piece.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/gladiator

So far I know of the following options...anyone know of any that I'm missing?

Rubicon Express
M.O.R.E
Artec
Rockhard
Motobilt
MetalCloak
Asfir
I have a Manual Rubicon, so, I liked the fact that the M.O.R.E Engine tranny skid eliminates the automatic tranny collision bracket completely --- that bracket is already missing on the manual anyway. So, I ordered the M.O.R.E. Engine, tranny skid and the transfer case skid. I went with black steel since it is only 20 lbs heavier, and half the price. I ordered last Monday and it was shipped last Friday, and will arrive Wed. So, a 9 day turnaround to my doorstep. Nice.. I also bought the SkidRow Off Road JP-8118: Exhaust Loop Skid Plate for Jeep Gladiator JT. This was also shipped within 2 days.

Total skids for me will be - the M.O.R.E Engine, Tranny, Transfer Case skids, the Skid Row loop skid, RockHard & Rusty's front, rear control arm & Shock skids & front axle disconnect skid, Front and rear Metal cloak diff covers and Diff. skids, Rock Slide Engineering Armored sliders/steps.

PS. I think the control arm skids and shock skids are super important and inexpensive compared to the rest of skids. You will bang that area first...

I will update with my install and next "Badge of Honor" trip with the new Skids installed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Rusty’s said their JL skid system will not work on the JT 😕

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Well, I went all in and ordered the Rockhard set. It has the most coverage for my region, which is dirt, sand and rocks. 6-12 week time frame so now we wait. I think it will be worth it. With shipping to nearest FedEx location it is just under $2k. A wise investment IMO
Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options C82BCEFF-B2FC-4BE2-872A-9E78263F078B

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
I might need E rated tires after installing that. LOL

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have a Manual Rubicon, so, I liked the fact that the M.O.R.E Engine tranny skid eliminates the automatic tranny collision bracket completely --- that bracket is already missing on the manual anyway. So, I ordered the M.O.R.E. Engine, tranny skid and the transfer case skid. I went with black steel since it is only 20 lbs heavier, and half the price. I ordered last Monday and it was shipped last Friday, and will arrive Wed. So, a 9 day turnaround to my doorstep. Nice.. I also bought the SkidRow Off Road JP-8118: Exhaust Loop Skid Plate for Jeep Gladiator JT. This was also shipped within 2 days.

Total skids for me will be - the M.O.R.E Engine, Tranny, Transfer Case skids, the Skid Row loop skid, RockHard & Rusty's front, rear control arm & Shock skids & front axle disconnect skid, Front and rear Metal cloak diff covers and Diff. skids, Rock Slide Engineering Armored sliders/steps.

PS. I think the control arm skids and shock skids are super important and inexpensive compared to the rest of skids. You will bang that area first...

I will update with my install and next "Badge of Honor" trip with the new Skids installed.
I recieved the M.O.R.E. engine, tranny, transfer case skids and the skidRow exhaust loop skid. Installation was simple and fast. The big steel engine, tranny plate is kinda heavy, but, I did it all myself under the truck without a jack. You may want to use your jack to hold the plates up while you put the screws in, but, I did not need it. Fit and finish were great. The braces and skid plate are updated for the JT relative to the old pictures on the website. For the braces, there is no loosening of the motor mount bolt. There are two motor mount bolts with lots of thread sticking out the bottom of the motor. All you do is slide the braces on and torque flange nuts on. Super easy. You can see the geometry of the braces in the pics below. There is also a full V-notch for oil changes.
Here are some pics without the exhaust loop skid installed.

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options xngI88

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options e1UYbD

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options kvbUkO

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options AsakdH

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options iRrlDh

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket SKID PLATE options O8dFXC

Last edited:

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I recieved the M.O.R.E. engine, tranny, transfer case skids and the skidRow exhaust loop skid. Installation was simple and fast. The big steel engine, tranny plate is kinda heavy, but, I did it all myself under the truck without a jack. You may want to use your jack to hold the plates up while you put the screws in, but, I did not need it. Fit and finish were great. The braces and skid plate are updated for the JT relative to the old pictures on the website. For the braces, there is no loosening of the motor mount bolt. There are two motor mount bolts with lots of thread sticking out the bottom of the motor. All you do is slide the braces on and torque flange nuts on. Super easy. You can see the geometry of the braces in the pics below. There is also a full V-notch for oil changes.
Here are some pics without the exhaust loop skid installed.

How do you like the skid row plate?
Sponsored