Sponsored

ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!!

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
When I first saw this, my reaction was WHOA!

Now that I've had some time to think about it, it makes sense. The steering box gears should make it about a 19:1 ratio. Thus, wouldn't it make sense to turn the steering wheel almost 20 degrees to make the tires turn 1 degree? I mean, if you turn a half revolution of the steering wheel (180 degrees), the tires don't turn backward, but it should be pretty close to 10 degrees on the tires.

Same here. Brandon at FCA PCC is awesome. My install is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

After reading some of the responses on here, I realize how bad my steering is. I had a 2012 JKU Rubi with a 2.5" lift and 35's that had some wandering, but just attributed it to the tires and everyone saying "...it's a Jeep". After looking at my steering on the dash and doing some "hoakie" measuring, I would say I am about 1.75 to 2 inches out. I can crank the wheel that distance before I see any type of registering on the angle in the display. We'll see how tomorrow works out...I'm expecting to see all my steering issues go away... or at least I'm hoping! :)

20201123_180640.jpg

20201123_180621.jpg
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If the steering wheel is turned 360 degrees to get the wheels to turn 20 degrees, it's a 18:1 ratio, that's 360/20

Classic cars are around 12-14:1 and there are some variable ratio gears out there, too.
Road racing is 9:1 or so I think - a lot quicker than street driven cars.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
My Jeep is at the dealer for this repair as of 7:20am.
October 19 they assessed it and November 30 in for repair.
Should be done today.
@JeepCares was super helpful getting this done.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
My Jeep is at the dealer for this repair as of 7:20am.
October 19 they assessed it and November 30 in for repair.
Should be done today.
@JeepCares was super helpful getting this done.
Good luck Mike...is this happening at Faricy Boys? They were good for me...

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Perkins. Been smooth so far. Granted....this morning it was 11. So it felt good. Mine is temp sensitive. Very much so.

Good luck Mike...is this happening at Faricy Boys? They were good for me...

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Perkins. Been smooth so far. Granted....this morning it was 11. So it felt good. Mine is temp sensitive. Very much so.
At this late date, shouldn't matter what if feels like right now...that decision has been made. New box, new software...you'll be in good shape by afternoon! Just make sure they install the JT part and not the JL one... :like:

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
They mentioned that. I hope they do it right. Seriously excited about getting it back.

At this late date, shouldn't matter what if feels like right now...that decision has been made. New box, new software...you'll be in good shape by afternoon! Just make sure they install the JT part and not the JL one... :like:

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I was just notified yesterday my parts are in. I'm tentatively scheduled for next Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.
UPDATE: got my JT back on Saturday and it drives noticeably better. One of the first things I noticed was the lack of "wander"...often when I looked over my shoulder to check the lane next to me, I would feel the truck wander. There is no wander any more...that alone is a huge plus.

It definitely feels tighter and buttoned down...love it.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Got a call before Noon today from a parts request 11/11, so less than 2.5 weeks. Goes in NEXT Wednesday 12/9. Pretty good turnaround, and a great recovery for this dealer after having argued with me about "have to confirm the issue".

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Haven't had it on the highway yet, but did confirm that they installed the right PN, replaced the bolts, and flashed the new code to the ECU. The steering is much firmer than it was, and there is zero noticeable dead spot. When I wiggle it back and forth at speed, you actually feel the front end dart each way - y'know - like a vehicle should.

They didn't get the steering wheel alignment exactly perfect, but its close enough that it won't register on Offroad Pages, and is easy enough to dial in myself.

Anyone that says poor steering is a "solid axle thing" has no clue what a properly set up solid axle vehicle should drive like. My Glady finally drives better than my abused 16yo TJ :)

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Mine is done. Initial impressions are what you are saying. Very firm and responsive. Took it up to 80 on the highway. Most confident it has ever felt. Took the hands off the wheel for a bit and no pulling. My wheel may be a bit off too but not much. Once I get the springs in I can reset. I have not looked at PN or any fo that. I'll check the paperwork. Be interesting to see how it does on my normal routes.

Haven't had it on the highway yet, but did confirm that they installed the right PN, replaced the bolts, and flashed the new code to the ECU. The steering is much firmer than it was, and there is zero noticeable dead spot. When I wiggle it back and forth at speed, you actually feel the front end dart each way - y'know - like a vehicle should.

They didn't get the steering wheel alignment exactly perfect, but its close enough that it won't register on Offroad Pages, and is easy enough to dial in myself.

Anyone that says poor steering is a "solid axle thing" has no clue what a properly set up solid axle vehicle should drive like. My Glady finally drives better than my abused 16yo TJ :)

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
My dealer paperwork specifies 68507576-aa
I'll crawl under and check this week.

Mine is done. Initial impressions are what you are saying. Very firm and responsive. Took it up to 80 on the highway. Most confident it has ever felt. Took the hands off the wheel for a bit and no pulling. My wheel may be a bit off too but not much. Once I get the springs in I can reset. I have not looked at PN or any fo that. I'll check the paperwork. Be interesting to see how it does on my normal routes.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
My dealer paperwork specifies 68507576-aa
I'll crawl under and check this week.
Shouldn't have to crawl under...just peal back the inner fender liner just a bit on the driver's side and you should see the label...once you spot roughly where it is, you can just put your phone in there and take a pic...
Sponsored