Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-200-people-arrested-two-204832409.html

Nearly 200 people arrested, two shot during 'Go Topless Jeep Weekend'

May 19, 2020

baacd3947130c42bf0ab3660ceccbfb2-jpeg.jpg

A raucous Texas beach event known as "Go Topless Jeep Weekend" ended with two people hospitalized following a shooting and nearly 200 others arrested on various charges.

Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trochesset said two men were airlifted to the hospital after both of them were shot in the torso during the annual event on Bolivar Peninsula, which brings together thousands of Jeep lovers and 4-wheeler enthusiasts.

A group of men and women were arguing when the fight escalated and gunshots rang out, Trochesset told NBC News. The conditions of the two men who were hospitalized haven't been released.

Authorities are looking for a third man who fled, the sheriff said Tuesday. No arrests were made in the shooting, and the investigation is ongoing.

By the time the gathering ended, more than 180 attendees had been taken into custody on numerous unrelated charges. The sheriff said charges included assault, driving without wearing a seat belt, DWI and public intoxication. Most of those who were arrested have since bonded out.

Justin Weaver, a resident of Bolivar, told NBC affiliate KBMT of Beaumont that he was disappointed in how people acted.

"I don't know why it's so hard for people just to show up and have fun these days," he said. "It disappoints me to see that kind of violence come here, because it's usually real quiet here."

Weaver said he hopes that next time people will "respect the beach and respect the people that live here."

Thousands of people flocked to the area for the gathering.

Bolivar Peninsula Chamber of Commerce President Brenda Flanagan said she hopes the arrests and shooting won't define the community.

"It's always sad when someone gets hurt on our beach," she told KBMT. "It's a sad situation, because Bolivar Peninsula is a safe place for people to come."

Trochesset said a majority of those arrested don't own Jeeps.

"I can't blame it on the Jeep clubs," the sheriff said.

More than 100 people were also arrested at last year's event.

Texas reopened its beaches May 1 after shutting them down because of the coronavirus pandemic. A video from the weekend's festivities showed many of the attendees partying and drinking while not practicing social distancing.

"We been in quarantine, and I need to get out and party," beachgoer Chelsey Coyer told KBMT, reminding people how to take precautions. "Wash them hands for 20 seconds and keep them clean with the Germ-X."
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Way to make us all look stupid folks... :clap:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Sponsored

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Usually the Jeep community is known for coming together and setting the example of how great the community is. This could've been done much better. It's not politics, it's just being responsible and leading by example, especially now to help us all get past this virus.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
A lot of folks didn't want them to have it cause they felt it was going to cause nothing but problems and bring unwanted issues. They went through with it though hoping that all would be OK and folks would do the right thing and it could bring some needed dollars to the area. But unfortunately you can see that didn't happen. Gives the Jeep Community a black eye even though its not the Jeep communities fault. They should have just left out the Jeep Topless deal and just called it a beach fest or something else.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
A lot of folks didn't want them to have it cause they felt it was going to cause nothing but problems and bring unwanted issues. They went through with it though hoping that all would be OK and folks would do the right thing and it could bring some needed dollars to the area. But unfortunately you can see that didn't happen. Gives the Jeep Community a black eye even though its not the Jeep communities fault. They should have just left out the Jeep Topless deal and just called it a beach fest or something else.
Or they could restrict the event to topless Jeeps... :idea:

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
We have a beach cottage down there and make sure we stay home during that weekend or rent it out. It is way more non-Jeepers than Jeepers in my experience. Lots more of people in Polaris going crazy in my opinion.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Yay houston!- if you want to see something hilarious, take a look.

Couldn't get me near the peninsula for this event.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Or they could restrict the event to topless Jeeps... :idea:
No way they were going to be able to stop the masses going to that thing. Right now they are having enough trouble keeping the beaches of Galveston from being overrun and getting folks to keep some distance. I will be down in Galveston this coming long weekend so it will be interesting to see what happens. I got a feeling its gonna be a mess if the weather is good

JkJT84

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w Max Tow
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
And this is why I drove all the way to South Padre cause I knew from some friends the S.O. was not playing games this year.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Low life scumbags are always ruining things for the rest of us.

"By the time the gathering ended, more than 180 attendees had been taken into custody on numerous unrelated charges. The sheriff said charges included assault, driving without wearing a seat belt, DWI and public intoxication. "
I'm not against alcohol in general, but in most cases, not strictly prohibiting it at any event in a public venue (like a beach) really attracts the scumbags.

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
Should be shot for flying the Flag upside down.
Sponsored