Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Tailgate Wiring?

For Removal of the tailgate in preparation for my Alu Cab pick-up, do I just unplug the brake light, tailgate lock, and back up camera wire harness and tie wrap the harness under the bumper?

I understand no dash warning lights will come on, just wondering how everyone is handle this?
Yes. You'll also tap into your brake light +/- wires at this location from the camper wiring harness. On my 2021 Sport S, the darker green w/ white stripe is +, black is -. This should help:

Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper IMG_1261
Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I decided I was tired of not having a good enough mount for the tailgate backup camera and did not like losing the rear view mirror, so I had a buddy fabricate a mount to address it.

The backup lines are obviously not correct, but still nice to have, I just need to learn the new limits of it. I will load bikes on it tomorrow to see how it looks since that was my main concern with mounting locations.

The Brandmotion camera is pretty cool. The only negative so far is that it seems that no matter the position, one of the visors will hit it when folding them down. Kind of annoying.

2E502F85-50F9-40C0-8875-2679612CC664.jpeg

3887BC58-4367-4DBE-B826-918689BD50AB.jpeg

C9086BAA-1085-4622-A0CF-8A8F311196A2.jpeg

2D28B1B5-C97B-4073-A9A5-B1C62FA917C3.jpeg

6B4952CF-5851-463E-8438-9C8F643E0C5B.jpeg

RealMcCoy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
Occupation
Retired
I decided I was tired of not having a good enough mount for the tailgate backup camera and did not like losing the rear view mirror, so I had a buddy fabricate a mount to address it.

The backup lines are obviously not correct, but still nice to have, I just need to learn the new limits of it. I will load bikes on it tomorrow to see how it looks since that was my main concern with mounting locations.

The Brandmotion camera is pretty cool. The only negative so far is that it seems that no matter the position, one of the visors will hit it when folding them down. Kind of annoying.

Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 6B4952CF-5851-463E-8438-9C8F643E0C5B

Looking good bru

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
We got our Alu-Cab Canopy Camper and have just "completed" our build. (I put that in quotes because as you know it never seems we are done with the details)

But here is a photo:
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Jeep-Gladiator-Overland-Build-Suspensio

We put the full build here if interested.

We're so ready to put this unit to the test. I've got a few more little things to take care of and then it is shakedown time.

SCDerby

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Engineer

Hey @Mtpisgah, just wanted to say that I went to AVO last weekend to check out a Gladiator w/ the ACCC installed and apparently it was yours. Awesome setup! I didn't think to look when I was there but did you change suspension/spring rate to account for the heavier load of the camper?

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Hey @Mtpisgah, just wanted to say that I went to AVO last weekend to check out a Gladiator w/ the ACCC installed and apparently it was yours. Awesome setup! I didn't think to look when I was there but did you change suspension/spring rate to account for the heavier load of the camper?
Eric told me you came by and checked it out. It has been fun building it. We camped this weekend for the first time in two months due to the heat. I cannot wait for the fall when can get out more often.

Since I have a Mojave I ended up adding bags and then lifting it to deal with the sag. Steel bumpers, a winch, and a bike rack did not help.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I have the BestTop Sunrider installed and love it. Is it not possible at all to still keep it installed with the AluCab? Also, I saw a Tacoma with the Front Runner Upright water tank installed in the dead space between the rear window and canopy. Has anyone else seen one of these? It seems mounting the water in that dead space would be ideal and not take up interior space.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...ons/front-runner-upright-water-tank-flat.html

I am researching now on getting a canopy, so looking for all the ideas!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have the BestTop Sunrider installed and love it. Is it not possible at all to still keep it installed with the AluCab? Also, I saw a Tacoma with the Front Runner Upright water tank installed in the dead space between the rear window and canopy. Has anyone else seen one of these? It seems mounting the water in that dead space would be ideal and not take up interior space.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...ons/front-runner-upright-water-tank-flat.html

I am researching now on getting a canopy, so looking for all the ideas!

I considered that but most of our trips are not long enough to require more than our two 20L jerry cans. If we add a shower more robust than our bag shower, we will need a tank like that and it would get stored here.

For now I have added hinges and a latch (not installed yet in the photos) so we have access to the space between the cab and camper. It is great for storing our dirty clothes, shoes and helmets. Keep the stinky stuff outside.

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
I considered that but most of our trips are not long enough to require more than our two 20L jerry cans. If we add a shower more robust than our bag shower, we will need a tank like that and it would get stored here.

For now I have added hinges and a latch (not installed yet in the photos) so we have access to the space between the cab and camper. It is great for storing our dirty clothes, shoes and helmets. Keep the stinky stuff outside.

Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper IMG_1561

I like that! No reason not to utilize that space

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Nice rig...another option for that space if you do not have it already installed somewhere else is to have your onboard compressor there with connections on both side, your door panels would allow for quick access, nice job on the conversion to doors.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Nice rig...another option for that space if you do not have it already installed somewhere else is to have your onboard compressor there with connections on both side, your door panels would allow for quick access, nice job on the conversion to doors.

That could be a good place for the compressor, plenty of airflow and still protected from the environment. Mine is under the passenger seat

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)

Hi, do you remember what you did with the wiring under the dash? The red, yellow, black that is on the harness with the black box? Our 12v plug is a little different than the blurry photos in their JL instructions. Did you cut off the fuse-like ends and splice them into the harnesses under the dash or did you go directly to the fuse box using those fuse-like connectors? The instructions are not very clear. I don't need it to integrate into the backup stuff since I am also keeping the factory camera for the Alu-Cab. Any help is appreciated!!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Hi, do you remember what you did with the wiring under the dash? The red, yellow, black that is on the harness with the black box? Our 12v plug is a little different than the blurry photos in their JL instructions. Did you cut off the fuse-like ends and splice them into the harnesses under the dash or did you go directly to the fuse box using those fuse-like connectors? The instructions are not very clear. I don't need it to integrate into the backup stuff since I am also keeping the factory camera for the Alu-Cab. Any help is appreciated!!

There are two power feeds for the camera. For one I used this harness https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl and for the other I ran a wire straight to the battery for constant power.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)