ALU-CAB Canopy pics and info.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Okay that sounds more accurate for an aluminum shell. I think the steel ones are upwards of twice that?
I don't know about that. I believe I read somewhere that the sides of the JT bed have a
700 lb. rating. The steel cap being heavier the cap load ratings would be a wash limited by the bed.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Okay that sounds more accurate for an aluminum shell. I think the steel ones are upwards of twice that?
So what do you want to put up there?
A RTT weighs 100-130 pounds or so so if the Alu-Cab is rated at 330# that’s almost 3 times the weight of a tent.
A couple of kayaks will weight between 100 and 150 pounds
A canoe? Maybe 50 to 60 pounds...

One of the things I’ll be keeping an eye out for is the overall build weight. Say what you will but an overloaded rig will not perform as well and break down sooner particularly off the beaten track.

Last edited:

JohnGjeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I don't know about that. I believe I read somewhere that the sides of the JT bed have a
700 lb. rating. The steel cap being heavier the cap load ratings would be a wash limited by the bed.
The RLD steel cap says 165 lbs I think. Pretty much same as the Alu-Cab.

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Explorer caps rated at 330lbs. Doesn't specify static or dynamic but generally this is a dynamic rating.
This is what I am seeing as well for their other caps - I would imagine that the Gladiator one would be the same. If this is dynamic, then it seems like the static capacity would easily be enough for a RTT with a couple people inside it which is what I am looking for personally.

The RLD definitely has a higher capacity although like others have mentioned we are technically limited by the JT bedside weight limits.

I have been going back and forth between the RLD and the Alu-Cab. I like the lighter weight and door hinge seals of the Alu-Cab, but I like the look of the RLD more and the fact that it has a positive pressure vent on the roof. It is also a little cheaper compared to the Alu-Cab (at least for my personal configuration preferences).

I have also seen a little chatter about the RSI EVO topper but they seem to be further behind as far as development for the Gladiator goes...I haven't seen any photos or much information about the Gladiator specific model.

I know the longer I wait the more options will be available, but I also know some of these could take upwards of a month to ship and I would like to be able to use my RTT by the time spring/early summer rolls around (May/June in Colorado). Tough choices!

JohnGjeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So what do you want to put up there?
A RTT weighs 100-130 pounds or so so if the Alu-Cab is rated at 330# that’s almost 3 times the weight of a tent.
A couple of kayaks will weight between 100 and 150 pounds
A canoe? Maybe 50 to 60 pounds...

One of the things I’ll be keeping an eye out for is the overall build weight. Say what you will but an overloaded rig will not perform as well and break down sooner particularly off the beaten track.
I actually use my truck for multiple purposes - camping and off-road but sometimes picking up lumber, etc. (I’m a contractor). You’d be surprised how fast you can get to 300 lbs.
I’ve been researching tents too and the Alu-Cab is over 200 odd alone. So adding a rack on top and bikes gets you at 300 lbs real quick.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I actually use my truck for multiple purposes - camping and off-road but sometimes picking up lumber, etc. (I’m a contractor). You’d be surprised how fast you can get to 300 lbs.
I’ve been researching tents too and the Alu-Cab is over 200 odd alone. So adding a rack on top and bikes gets you at 300 lbs real quick.
I'm a contractor too (37 years as a Class A) and would have no issue putting some longer items up top there. I’m getting the racks as well.
But in reality, are you thinking of carrying a unit of plywood up there? If you really need to carry 500 pounds or more you have the wrong truck...there is no mid size truck that can do that that I know of.

JohnGjeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm a contractor too (37 years as a Class A) and would have no issue putting some longer items up top there. I’m getting the racks as well.
But in reality, are you thinking of carrying a unit of plywood up there? If you really need to carry 500 pounds or more you have the wrong truck...there is no mid size truck that can do that that I know of.
Good to know I’m not alone here!
No, definitely not looking to load it up that much on top but it’s always good to have some extra padding and not run things out to the very edge, know what I mean?

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Good to know I’m not alone here!
No, definitely not looking to load it up that much on top but it’s always good to have some extra padding and not run things out to the very edge, know what I mean?
I’m sure the engineers have a service factor designed into that load rating.

Sponsored

WWWolfman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel; 2012 BMW X5d; 2002 BurbZ71
Occupation
Education
You can order the AluCab cap with a bulkhead slider window. You can also get glass in the side hatches.
@Rokon, I'd like the option of a glass window on the passenger side-hatch, but a solid hatch (hiding the cupboards) on the driver's side. Do you think they would do that?

Has anyone seen any pictures of an Alu-Cab with window(s) on the side hatch?

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
@Rokon, I'd like the option of a glass window on the passenger side-hatch, but a solid hatch (hiding the cupboards) on the driver's side. Do you think they would do that?

Has anyone seen any pictures of an Alu-Cab with window(s) on the side hatch?
You need to call the guys at ok4wd and inquire. I'm sure you can special order with what you want. I think you will find the option under a different fitment (not JT) but it still is available for a JT canopy.
I looked for a bit tonight for a photo with side glass without success. I know I saw some a year ago somewhere......

Rebel.Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKRU
I've had this setup for about a month and it is totally worth it. After reading this thread, yes, there are better looking toppers but in terms of functionality I've been overall happy. Just recently mounted my Ikamper skycamp to try out on the road and I'm really happy with the fitment and ease of taking on off the rack (so much easier than the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform on my old JK). The side doors are really convenient and the overall build is solid. I've sprayed it down a few times and I haven't seen any water intrusion.

I few notes, the keys are annoying. Its 2 per side, and its easy to not get the key in the hole the first time. If they sold an electric lock system that can be controlled from the key fob, I'd consider buying it (first world problems, I know....).

True, the canopy does not follow the jeep lines very well and I think it could look better, but whatever, functionality is key and this topper is pretty damn funcional.

Alu-Cab did provide flying leads for the rear break and led lights on each side, but no good wiring diagram on where to install. I ended up tying in the LED's into the trailer AUX power line which was a pain, and gave up on the break line to save for another day. But that would have been nice if they provided a suggested tie-in.

As a first time truck owner, I drove the gladiator around for about a week without a topper and you absolutely need something for the bed, just for the weather. Overall, I'm really happy with the choice and I'd buy it again.

IMG_2609.jpg

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
I've had this setup for about a month and it is totally worth it. After reading this thread, yes, there are better looking toppers but in terms of functionality I've been overall happy. Just recently mounted my Ikamper skycamp to try out on the road and I'm really happy with the fitment and ease of taking on off the rack (so much easier than the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform on my old JK). The side doors are really convenient and the overall build is solid. I've sprayed it down a few times and I haven't seen any water intrusion.

I few notes, the keys are annoying. Its 2 per side, and its easy to not get the key in the hole the first time. If they sold an electric lock system that can be controlled from the key fob, I'd consider buying it (first world problems, I know....).

True, the canopy does not follow the jeep lines very well and I think it could look better, but whatever, functionality is key and this topper is pretty damn funcional.

Alu-Cab did provide flying leads for the rear break and led lights on each side, but no good wiring diagram on where to install. I ended up tying in the LED's into the trailer AUX power line which was a pain, and gave up on the break line to save for another day. But that would have been nice if they provided a suggested tie-in.

As a first time truck owner, I drove the gladiator around for about a week without a topper and you absolutely need something for the bed, just for the weather. Overall, I'm really happy with the choice and I'd buy it again.

Jeep Gladiator ALU-CAB Canopy pics and info. IMG_2609
Looks great - I'm looking to move from my custom rack for my iKamper to the Alu-Cab just as you have it...would you mind measuring the height from the highest point of the tent (towards the rear) to the top of the bed plastic finishing piece on the bed? I'd like to know how much "taller" the truck will be for parking purposes...
Would appreciate it!

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
Does anybody know if you can remove the rear door (glass and aluminum section) to port multiple kakays inside? ARE makes it easy to remove the back hatch but I can’t figure out how and if the alucab version comes off (or if it’s safe to travel long distances with it popped open)
Sponsored