Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Has anyone insulated their alu cab if yes what did you use
I saw this one today. He did what I was thinking. He is using sound deadening material on just about everything. I have seen a few others use Bedrug and cut it to fit places. I have a large piece in the garage that I was going to try and use and see how it works. I have the Budrug high-impact bed mat on top of my spray-in liner.

https://www.instagram.com/jefi_wild/

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 6.04.52 PM.png

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone insulated their alu cab if yes what did you use

I have a bedrug on the bulkhead, it works really well. And I can velcro stuff to it.

I cut up a yoga mat to fill the low spots in the bed floor, added 1/2" Styrofoam house insulation over that, and then covered it with an indoor/outdoor rug from Lowes. It makes an amazing difference.

I used my last big piece of foam insulation on the driver's side gullwing window, behind the canvas window covering. My wife sits on the couch there and said It made it huge difference. I took my last small piece and put it on the passenger side back lower panel and it was a big difference compared to the driver's side.

I used scraps of the Lowes rug to cover the upper rear panels on the driver and passenger's sides. It worked well, especially since it was scrap.

I will probably go to a full bed bedrug next year so the wheel wells and sides of the bed are insulated.

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I saw this one today. He did what I was thinking. He is using sound deadening material on just about everything. I have seen a few others use Bedrug and cut it to fit places. I have a large piece in the garage that I was going to try and use and see how it works. I have the Budrug high-impact bed mat on top of my spray-in liner.

https://www.instagram.com/jefi_wild/

Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Canopy Camper Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 6.04.52 PM
I can understand why sound-deadening and insulation in the cab is important but don't understand why sound-deadening in the cap is critical...seems to me...insulation would be more important...unless you intend to camp next to a lake with gaggle of geese. Educate me!

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
I can understand why sound-deadening and insulation in the cab is important but don't understand why sound-deadening in the cap is critical...seems to me...insulation would be more important...unless you intend to camp next to a lake with gaggle of geese. Educate me!
Most of the sound deadening materials I have been looking at are also good insulators.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Curious as to the install time for the canopy camper. Just the camper and sealing it. Not any electrics or accessories. Been quoted 9hours labor and just don’t see it after looking at the install guide from Alu-cab.

Last edited:

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I agree it doesn’t look like it’s that big of deal but I believe that there are a lot of small items that need to be installed to the canopy before it’s mounted on the vehicle

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
Curious as to the install time for the canopy camper. Just the camper and sealing it. Not any electrics or accessories. Been quoted 9hours labor and just don’t see it after looking at the install guide from Alu-cab.
To do it right from a fresh install 9 hours is on target. I had mine installed in about 5 hours with no electrical but I bought it used, so many of the items that needed to be assembled were already put together. The fit kit for the rear probably takes 1-2 hrs itself to get set up correctly. Part of that kit and I believe some of the front need to be riveted together once the correct fit kit is chosen. As for sealing it, the initial install only covers the seal that is laid down on the bed rails before the camper is dropped in. If you are talking sealing up all of the seams/gaps/openings like a few shops are doing then 9 hours for full install is correct. I sealed mine at home. To tape off and seal, with wait time, it took at least 2 hrs. I'm happy to answer any other questions!

Sponsored

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha I do trust but want to verify things as it just wasnt adding up from the instructions. I hadnt talked to anyone who installed or an installer. I do plan on doing my own electrical. That is a beast in itself that will have to be completed bit by bit once I can get an idea of how I want to lay everything out. Im set right now to have it installed the first week of February. Then we will see if all the delays mess everything else up getting Goose gear put in and all the other items needed. Thanks for the input.

To do it right from a fresh install 9 hours is on target. I had mine installed in about 5 hours with no electrical but I bought it used, so many of the items that needed to be assembled were already put together. The fit kit for the rear probably takes 1-2 hrs itself to get set up correctly. Part of that kit and I believe some of the front need to be riveted together once the correct fit kit is chosen. As for sealing it, the initial install only covers the seal that is laid down on the bed rails before the camper is dropped in. If you are talking sealing up all of the seams/gaps/openings like a few shops are doing then 9 hours for full install is correct. I sealed mine at home. To tape off and seal, with wait time, it took at least 2 hrs. I'm happy to answer any other questions!

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha I do trust but want to verify things as it just wasnt adding up from the instructions. I hadnt talked to anyone who installed or an installer. I do plan on doing my own electrical. That is a beast in itself that will have to be completed bit by bit once I can get an idea of how I want to lay everything out. Im set right now to have it installed the first week of February. Then we will see if all the delays mess everything else up getting Goose gear put in and all the other items needed. Thanks for the input.
Yes, the electrical is a task. I have been working on mine for weeks getting it setup the way I want it. I have also been designing electrical panels while doing so. Looking at your location, are you getting it installed at AVO? They did mine. Super nice group. I have been talking a lot with the owner about the new Alu-Cab products I am working on.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the electrical is a task. I have been working on mine for weeks getting it setup the way I want it. I have also been designing electrical panels while doing so. Looking at your location, are you getting it installed at AVO? They did mine. Super nice group. I have been talking a lot with the owner about the new Alu-Cab products I am working on.
yes they are installing ours. We have also talked a bit through email about the Veteran Overland Project to stop veteran suicide. Don’t know if 2 and 2 came together there.I’m looking forward to see what you come up with. Also need to work out some extra ideas like fire extinguisher mount in both vehicle and the alucab. Have two 2.5lb extinguishers on quickmounts. Cab one will most likely need a special bracket to be able to mount on the passenger seat bracket. The adjustable one I want to Roy with a little first. Butdon’t think it will work right as it seems to stick out to far in mock up. Anyways just one of the many things I have going on priority is getting camper and suspension installed. Then work on making sure I have cameras set up soon afterwards. Definitely looking at the brandmotion rear view. I’ll drop an email later as well when I can. Would love to talk some more about stuff when we both have some time.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
I understand as Jeep owners/campers many of us have a DIY mentality, but talking specifically about value when it comes to my Alu-Cab dealer and their labor rate for installs — it's worth it. There are a few big name outfitters cranking out camper installs at a premium, but the smaller dealers have just as much passion for our lifestyle. Shop space, forklift, tools...help...EXPERIENCE is so valuable. Inventory shortages and shipping delays are only going to drive prices up next year, so having a good relationship with your dealer is important.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
I understand as Jeep owners/campers many of us have a DIY mentality, but talking specifically about value when it comes to my Alu-Cab dealer and their labor rate for installs — it's worth it. There are a few big name outfitters cranking out camper installs at a premium, but the smaller dealers have just as much passion for our lifestyle. Shop space, forklift, tools...help...EXPERIENCE is so valuable. Inventory shortages and shipping delays are only going to drive prices up next year, so having a good relationship with your dealer is important.
Right I definitely don’t discount this. Yet, I am unique in some respect as all the funds for this are part of a project to help others and what ever I am able to do to make it go further I will. Now on top of that I have installed “canopies” and worked on some older Defender camper conversions. With after looking at the install instructions I wanted to verify the install time. I did not have the first hand knowledge on installing this and there was no info about it out there to the time to install. Not to mention now with my injuries the days of doing most stuff DIY is done for. I need to pick and choose my battles. That said I’m excited and looking forward to this next evolution for our build.
Sponsored