Another “Which lift should I get” thread

Visualabstrakt

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Hello everyone. I’ve had my JT Max Tow for about a year now and love it. I purchased it because I want to get into overlanding/camping. I waited to lift because I wanted to have most of the heavy mods done first. Ive put on ARB front and rear bumpers, Rock Hard sliders, Smittybilt x20 10k winch and now I’m getting ready to install a Rhino Rack roof rack (as soon as I can get over drilling into the rooftop lol).

I’ll be looking to install a lift kit soon. I want to run 33s (I know, pretty small)but will entertain possibly running 35s. For the longest I have been set on the Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus lift kit with the addition of Fox Shocks but recently have been intrigued by the AEV 2.5 Dualsport RT kit. Mostly due to price I must admit.

I have heard nothing but good things about both so it is making it very hard to decide. Has anyone heard or has had any negative experience with either kits? Which one would you go for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I really like Synergy Mfg products. They make just a 1" lift to fit 35's for you Max Tow. Their spring rate is only ~10% stiffer than OEM so the ride quality is maintained. They also retain a 1.5" rake so if you start to load up the truck for overlanding you'll level it out. I currently have their 3" system with ALL their control arms, steering sector shaft brace, tie rod, drag link, track bar... you get it.

I had the Clayton 2.5" system previously and it's equally great in quality. I will say that you'll get closer to 3"-3.25" of lift and a more "level" stance. The spring rate is much more firm too. I prefer the on-road ride of the Synergy springs over the Clayton's... that's one man's opinion though.

Here's the Synergy 1" lift which includes everything you'll need for proper alignment... except shocks.

https://www.polyperformance.com/synergy-jeep-gladiator-jt-1-2-inch-stage-1-suspension-system

OP
OP

Visualabstrakt

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I really like Synergy Mfg products. They make just a 1" lift to fit 35's for you Max Tow. Their spring rate is only ~10% stiffer than OEM so the ride quality is maintained. They also retain a 1.5" rake so if you start to load up the truck for overlanding you'll level it out. I currently have their 3" system with ALL their control arms, steering sector shaft brace, tie rod, drag link, track bar... you get it.

I had the Clayton 2.5" system previously and it's equally great in quality. I will say that you'll get closer to 3"-3.25" of lift and a more "level" stance. The spring rate is much more firm too. I prefer the on-road ride of the Synergy springs over the Clayton's... that's one man's opinion though.

Here's the Synergy 1" lift which includes everything you'll need for proper alignment... except shocks.

https://www.polyperformance.com/synergy-jeep-gladiator-jt-1-2-inch-stage-1-suspension-system
Thank you for the input. I will definitely look into this kit. What made you switch to it and what shocks did you go with?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
To run 33's you don't need any lift kit.

To run 35's at most you need coil spacers and shock extension brackets.

You can save a LOT of money for other things. But if you want a lift you're going to buy a lift.

OP
OP

Visualabstrakt

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
To run 33's you don't need any lift kit.

To run 35's at most you need coil spacers and shock extension brackets.

You can save a LOT of money for other things. But if you want a lift you're going to buy a lift.
For sure I understand I can fit 33s without a lift. Reason I want a lift is to get some more ground clearance and it definitely seems like the front has sagged a little bit due to the added weight. Also wanted a better feeling ride and wanted to avoid shock extensions in the event I decide to tackle technical trails. I appreciate the input though.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
A lift does NOT provide you with any ground clearance, only taller tires can provide you more ground clearance.

No matter how high you lift, you still have the same ground clearance as a JT on stock suspension. Because the front and rear axle are still the same height off the ground.

The only reason to lift is to allow taller tires and more articulation. If you never plan on anything more than 35's, you are wasting money buying a true lift kit.

Where you sit right now, you can put 1" spacers all around, trim the front bumper close-out panels, mount up 35's and have to do nothing else.

But since you have aftermarket bumpers, 1" spacers are all you need. Makes you the same as a Rubicon.

OP
OP

Visualabstrakt

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
A lift does NOT provide you with any ground clearance, only taller tires can provide you more ground clearance.

No matter how high you lift, you still have the same ground clearance as a JT on stock suspension. Because the front and rear axle are still the same height off the ground.

The only reason to lift is to allow taller tires and more articulation. If you never plan on anything more than 35's, you are wasting money buying a true lift kit.

Where you sit right now, you can put 1" spacers all around, trim the front bumper close-out panels, mount up 35's and have to do nothing else.

But since you have aftermarket bumpers, 1" spacers are all you need. Makes you the same as a Rubicon.
I see. Apologies, I didn’t know a lift kit wouldn’t provide clearance. I thought it would raise the bottom of the Jeep at least regardless of tire size. Would it provide better articulation?
I’m new to Jeeps. I’ve always been a sports car guy so a bit out of my realm. Thanks for the input!

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Eh, partially true partially not. A suspension lift will lift everything but the axles ie. rockers/body, trans/tcase skid plate, rear hitch, front bumper. All are common catch parts with any offroad rig, but especially the gladiator. It will improve (slightly) approach and departure angle, as well as brake-over angle. It is true that it won't improve diff clearance, but there really isn't much you can do to improve diff clearance, especially on an overlanding type rig (even going from 32s to 35s only nets you a 1.5" gain in diff clearance).

As far as what lift to get- All the lifts above will serve you well. IMO, you've admitted to being new to jeeps, new to overlanding, ect.... I would learn what you don't know before investing in and deciding on a lift. The subtle differences between the lifts you really wouldn't notice the difference probably ever, but at least until you put a ton of seat time in your rig. The best part about the Jeeps is you don't have to do it all at once, you can upgrade specific parts when you find the weak point of what you've got. Plenty of people are overlanding with a spacer kit and some 33's/35's. Overlanding is more about recovery and getting yourself out of situations than it is successfully hitting obstacles.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Eh, partially true partially not. A suspension lift will lift everything but the axles ie. rockers/body, trans/tcase skid plate, rear hitch, front bumper. All are common catch parts with any offroad rig, but especially the gladiator. It will improve (slightly) approach and departure angle, as well as brake-over angle. It is true that it won't improve diff clearance, but there really isn't much you can do to improve diff clearance, especially on an overlanding type rig (even going from 32s to 35s only nets you a 1.5" gain in diff clearance).

As far as what lift to get- All the lifts above will serve you well. IMO, you've admitted to being new to jeeps, new to overlanding, ect.... I would learn what you don't know before investing in and deciding on a lift. The subtle differences between the lifts you really wouldn't notice the difference probably ever, but at least until you put a ton of seat time in your rig. The best part about the Jeeps is you don't have to do it all at once, you can upgrade specific parts when you find the weak point of what you've got. Plenty of people are overlanding with a spacer kit and some 33's/35's. Overlanding is more about recovery and getting yourself out of situations than it is successfully hitting obstacles.
Love everything you said here. I put a rubi suspension on my sport s a d did gain about an inch lift, but still picked up some trail rash on nearly all the parts you mentioned. I'm on 33's and am going to stay in the 33-34" tire range but I'm likely going to add the tereflex and daystar spacers before my next outing for a little more body clearance. Also investing in some more skid plates. I'm not building an overlanding rig, more of a get through green trails without doing too much damage rig.

Clayton also has a nice level kit I've been considering and it can be upgraded it to the their full lift, so that's something for the OP to consider as well.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
a lift lifts the body only, bigger tires lift the body and axles.

It's untrue to say a lift grant you no clearance. It just doesn't grant you ground clearance (axle clearance), but it can prevent you from getting high-centered. A lift will improve your approach and departure angles noticeably. It will also improve your breakover angle marginally (this is tied to wheelbase, long ass wheelbase=more lift you need to make noticeable improvements to breakover).

I made this post just to clear up some exaggerations being posted. In a hyperbolic sense a lift grants no benefits without bigger tires. In a nuanced sense it has benefits separate from the larger tires it enables.

All that being said, if you're a novice jeeper and aren't 100% sure what you plan to tackle with your new lift... don't do it unless you plan to fit a sized tire you couldn't without the lift.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Visualabstrakt

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thank you everyone for the advice. It’s definitely been educational. I will get more seat time as I want more experience. My intent was to try to be proactive in preventing as much damage as I could to the vehicle as well as make things a little easier as I go on adventures. This forum has been very helpful.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you everyone for the advice. It’s definitely been educational. I will get more seat time as I want more experience. My intent was to try to be proactive in preventing as much damage as I could to the vehicle as well as make things a little easier as I go on adventures. This forum has been very helpful.
Don't do 33s. I didn't listen and got 35s and it keeps me up at night thinking about 37s(just kidding). But really you can get a nice c rated AT in 35 and probably be happy. 33s will look like Daytons on a clayton lift.

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just save yourself some money and get 35s, cause you are going to want them once you lift it.

I have the Clayton overland 2.5 lift and love it, but the truck didn't look right until I put the 35s on.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
...The only reason to lift is to allow taller tires and more articulation. If you never plan on anything more than 35's, you are wasting money buying a true lift kit...
I lifted mine for looks. And I'm only running 35s.

Some may say waste of money, not me. I love the way it looks. Makes me look back when I walk away. 😁

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Hello everyone. I’ve had my JT Max Tow for about a year now and love it. I purchased it because I want to get into overlanding/camping. I waited to lift because I wanted to have most of the heavy mods done first. Ive put on ARB front and rear bumpers, Rock Hard sliders, Smittybilt x20 10k winch and now I’m getting ready to install a Rhino Rack roof rack (as soon as I can get over drilling into the rooftop lol).

I’ll be looking to install a lift kit soon. I want to run 33s (I know, pretty small)but will entertain possibly running 35s. For the longest I have been set on the Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus lift kit with the addition of Fox Shocks but recently have been intrigued by the AEV 2.5 Dualsport RT kit. Mostly due to price I must admit.

I have heard nothing but good things about both so it is making it very hard to decide. Has anyone heard or has had any negative experience with either kits? Which one would you go for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am in the same boat right now after going to Jeep Beach I was one of the only JTs without a lift and what a difference that even small lift makes. I just started researching the Mopar lift, having the dealer do it on the next visit. I will take a look at the AEV as well now.
Sponsored