Sponsored

Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I should do a build thread because I bought a sport s max tow and rubicloned it. Rubicon fenders give 1 additional inch of clearance over the max tow fender. I took measurements before and after. Your truck looks great.
Thank you! I am adding the rubicon fenders, but the push pins and rivets are taking a while to come in (bought fenders as takeoffs). Will be a couple weeks before I have everything to compare

Did you chop the fenders? If you did, do the liners still work?
Sponsored

Gunnuts

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Thank you! I am adding the rubicon fenders, but the push pins and rivets are taking a while to come in (bought fenders as takeoffs). Will be a couple weeks before I have everything to compare

Did you chop the fenders? If you did, do the liners still work?
The guy I bought the rubicon fenders from, broke a few of the clips but I just replaced them with clips off the max tow fenders. I didn't chop the fenders and they came with the liners. Everything goes in the same. You're a step ahead of me. I still need tires.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More wheeling on the stock suspension, no lifts, no leveling kit, no wheel spacers. The only time I heard rubbing was when I was nose up and my rear wheels were struggling to get over a large rock.

Btw, these Falkens got pinched really bad, I mean at 20psi they were squished down and against the rock on the driver side rear, no tears, no signs of wear. Outstanding.

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! 101826692_1540565019444923_6745016786591166006_n

Perspective on rock height. I don't know how high off the ground my rock sliders are, but my pumpkins are 11" from a level surface on pavement.
Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! Rock obstacle 6.7.2020 1.PNG

Driver tire slid off the rock and landed with a good thump on the spot between rocks. This is where the JT snagged a bit and the rear tires rubbed the fenders, as circled in red.

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! Rock obstacle 6.7.2020 4.PNG

Not hitting the fender flares going down :rock:

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! Rock obstacle 6.7.2020 5.PNG

My friend on 37s and a 4.5" lift did pretty well.
Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! Rock obstacle 6.7.2020 6.PNG

But I swear I thought his axle would snap. Learned later it's a Dana 44. His electronic sway bar disconnect wasn't working otherwise there'd be more flex
Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! Rock obstacle 6.7.2020 7.PNG

ETA: reviewing the vids, my JT did as good as the lifted JKUs. Honestly the veteran who drove Humvees during enlistment did the best with the Sahara on 4" RC lift and 35 nittos. Then comes the JKUR on 37s and 4.5" lift. Mine DID do the worst in terms of taking the longest, but that was due to the learning curve of figuring out which rocks to put where. All the other Jeeps except for the saharah needed rocks put in, slid off a boulder, and landed hard coming down. So with help, I can do all the stuff lifted Jeeps do, and thus won't be needing a lift. Higher fender flares would be a plus though

And, these guys were great. They stacked rocks, they spotted to make sure pumpkins were not hitting, they even gave a push. I am glad I got to take them out wheeling for the first time and on such a fun trail

Last edited:
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The guy I bought the rubicon fenders from, broke a few of the clips but I just replaced them with clips off the max tow fenders. I didn't chop the fenders and they came with the liners. Everything goes in the same. You're a step ahead of me. I still need tires.
were you able to reuse the push pins and rivets? Or did you need to order the plastic bits. Because they are $100 total and that is by shopping around and not paying the dealer’s $4.60/pushpin (need 30)

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian
More wheeling on the stock suspension, no lifts, no leveling kit, no wheel spacers. The only time I heard rubbing was when I was nose up and my rear wheels were struggling to get over a large rock.

Btw, these Falkens got pinched really bad, I mean at 20psi they were squished down and against the rock on the driver side rear, no tears, no signs of wear. Outstanding.

Jeep Gladiator Another 35s on Stock Sport - now with video of offroading! Rock obstacle 6.7.2020 7.PNG

Perspective on rock height. I don't know how high off the ground my rock sliders are, but my pumpkins are 11" from a level surface on pavement.

Driver tire slid off the rock and landed with a good thump on the spot between rocks. This is where the JT snagged a bit and the rear tires rubbed the fenders, as circled in red.

Not hitting the fender flares going down :rock:

My friend on 37s and a 4.5" lift did pretty well.

But I swear I thought his axle would snap. Learned later it's a Dana 44. His electronic sway bar disconnect wasn't working otherwise there'd be more flex

ETA: reviewing the vids, my JT did as good as the lifted JKUs. Honestly the veteran who drove Humvees during enlistment did the best with the Sahara on 4" RC lift and 35 nittos. Then comes the JKUR on 37s and 4.5" lift. Mine DID do the worst in terms of taking the longest, but that was due to the learning curve of figuring out which rocks to put where. All the other Jeeps except for the saharah needed rocks put in, slid off a boulder, and landed hard coming down. So with help, I can do all the stuff lifted Jeeps do, and thus won't be needing a lift. Higher fender flares would be a plus though

And, these guys were great. They stacked rocks, they spotted to make sure pumpkins were not hitting, they even gave a push. I am glad I got to take them out wheeling for the first time and on such a fun trail
We need to get together some time. You are having way too much fun with your JT. All I have done so far is run some fields and cross some ditches. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We need to get together some time. You are having way too much fun with your JT. All I have done so far is run some fields and cross some ditches. Lol
Im heading down on the 20th again. Go every weekend really but this weekend is helping mother with yard work and seeing how carefully I can take off the fender flares to get on some rubicon takeoff flares while resusinf pushpins. I ordered replacement plastic fasteners from The Jeep Hut but a week later they still havent updated the order and Im getting angsty for more clearance (not that it is NEEDED)

Gunnuts

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
were you able to reuse the push pins and rivets? Or did you need to order the plastic bits. Because they are $100 total and that is by shopping around and not paying the dealer’s $4.60/pushpin (need 30)
I took the bolt out keeping the fender liners in place, then popped the fenders off. Broke a couple of the white keepers while doing it but replaced those from my take offs. I never separated the fenders from the liners so nothing else needed to be replaced. I got lucky with my Rubicon take off stuff. There is a local up fitter here that does work for dealerships and they keep the take offs so the guy sells them for cheap. I just gave him a list of the stuff I was looking for and he called me when he had it.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the bolt out keeping the fender liners in place, then popped the fenders off. Broke a couple of the white keepers while doing it but replaced those from my take offs. I never separated the fenders from the liners so nothing else needed to be replaced. I got lucky with my Rubicon take off stuff. There is a local up fitter here that does work for dealerships and they keep the take offs so the guy sells them for cheap. I just gave him a list of the stuff I was looking for and he called me when he had it.
Nice. All I have are the fenders. Liners should be in this week. Push pins and rivets...well they'll probably arrive in a month at this rate.

Edit: as I hit submit on this post the email with shipping info came in to my phone. Hope things arrive soon, I'm taking this weekend off from wheeling

Gunnuts

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Nice. All I have are the fenders. Liners should be in this week. Push pins and rivets...well they'll probably arrive in a month at this rate.

Edit: as I hit submit on this post the email with shipping info came in to my phone. Hope things arrive soon, I'm taking this weekend off from wheeling
Seems like a lot of business picked up this wee, huh? I ordered stuff from Factor55, Moparparts, Z Automotive, and Quadratech. I received some yesterday and today. Everything else tomorrow. Ordered tires Monday night and will be delivered tomorrow. I'll have a lot work to catch up on this weekend.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like a lot of business picked up this wee, huh? I ordered stuff from Factor55, Moparparts, Z Automotive, and Quadratech. I received some yesterday and today. Everything else tomorrow. Ordered tires Monday night and will be delivered tomorrow. I'll have a lot work to catch up on this weekend.
What tires? 35s ?!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup! Kenda Klever 35x10.5R17
I am very curious how those work out for you. I am super satisfied with my 35x12.5R17s not rubbing, but a friend who has a 4Runner is looking at the Kendas for the width meaning he can avoid cutting more metal to make 12.5s fit. And their price.
Sponsored