Another small truck… Maverick

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Looks similar to a Honda Ridgeline and serves the same purpose - get people into a truck that isn't a hardcore TRUCK truck. I think it's a great move by Ford and they might entice folks to move up to a Ranger or F150 as their next vehicle after this. It's definitely not a competitor to the Gladiator (or any other mid-size real truck) but it's got a place in the automotive ecosphere.
I thought the same thing. I also liked the styling - I didn’t find it ugly like the upcoming Hyundai truck (looks too much like the old Subaru Brats).
Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Oh no..... more dial shifters..... Easily the worst shifter idea.

2-ford-maverick-pickup-truck-revealed-debut-14-jpg.jpg
You know I am very anti rotary shifter. My girlfriend just got a 2019 Fusion. It's not that hard to get used to. Don't think I would want one as a daily. But from time to time it isn't bad.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
So it's more like the original Ranger?

I'd actually think about getting one of these as a commuter

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
It's small, it's cheap, gets great fuel economy (supposely), and had decent payload. Is it for me, nope. But I can see this having a niche market, it looks better than the Ridgeline or Sante Fe, IMO.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I find the information highlighted in this press release interesting, and maybe a bit misleading for those that only hear what they want to hear. Which let's face it, is most of the current population.

Ford is only showing the 40 MPG rating for the 2.5 litre hybrid drive train, and completely neglecting to list the MPG rating for the optional 2.0 litre Eco Boost engine if you require the higher load/towing capacity.

Also wonder if the Eco Boost engine package will come with a higher capacity tank than the 13.8 gallon fuel tank that is listed with the hybrid?
If not future owners may end up spending more time & money at the gas station than they are leading you to believe.

Sponsored

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
I think our shifter is just a rotary with a stick on it. Doubt its really connected to anything other than a a CAN bus...

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Its not like a ranger at all. It is compact trucklet not a truck like the old ranger or current ranger. This is like a subi baja from the 1980s

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I kind of like it.

Not going to buy one, as I already have a Gladiator. Nor can you really compare the two.

But, I find it interesting.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I get the impression the Escape, the Bronco Sport and the Maverick are all the same vehicle with different sheet metal. So, the Maverick is an Escape with a little pickup bed.

The old Ford Ranger was a re-badged Mazda pickup which was a small, body-on-frame truck. That's why people loved them so much.

But yeah, this Maverick is aimed at the Mall Crawler crowd so Ford will likely sell lots of them. (Wondering how long it will be before I see a "Donk" Maverick.)

Donk_Truck.jpg

Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Not for me, but it’s interesting and might get some buyers that would never consider a Ford truck otherwise.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
I think our shifter is just a rotary with a stick on it. Doubt its really connected to anything other than a a CAN bus...
You mean we have one of these onder that shift linkage?!

Jeep Gladiator Another small truck… Maverick can bus

But really it seems like a nice city truck. If i want to leave the pavement though I'll keep my Jeep.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find the information highlighted in this press release interesting, and maybe a bit misleading for those that only hear what they want to hear. Which let's face it, is most of the current population.

Ford is only showing the 40 MPG rating for the 2.5 litre hybrid drive train, and completely neglecting to list the MPG rating for the optional 2.0 litre Eco Boost engine if you require the higher load/towing capacity.

Also wonder if the Eco Boost engine package will come with a higher capacity tank than the 13.8 gallon fuel tank that is listed with the hybrid?
If not future owners may end up spending more time & money at the gas station than they are leading you to believe.

The 2.0 in the Bronco Sport still gets decent gas mileage. And it's 4wd. The Maverick with the 2.0, FWD and better aerodynamics will be even better.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did a build and price. A fully loaded Lariat with the 2.0, AWD, max tow and FX4 package is $35k. Not too shabby.

And with the max tow it will tow 4000lbs. That amazing for being smaller. And more than a Bronco or Wrangler.
Sponsored