Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Theres 3 trim levels; XL (Base) XLT (Mid) and Lariat (Top). You can get any trim with either the standard hybrid (FWD) or the more powerful EcoBoost. The EcoBoost can be hand in FWD or AWD. The hybrid is standard FWD, but if you go with the tow package Ford throws in AWD for the cost of the package. I think this and the Santa Cruz are goning to steal more sales from people who would traditionally buy econoboxes versus SUV’s or crossovers.
Santa Cruz looks more of a toy: the price is much higher and the bed much smaller.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Is the bed a 5 footer? Or is it shorter than that?

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Ford does a great job with both their Maverik and Ranger (lots of tourque in their respective classes to start with)...I would have never found the Jeep Foroum if the Ranger had an optional Sun Roof (deal breaker, at least the JT has some kind of "sunroof".)...The salesperson tried to sell me a Maverick as it does have a sun roof option, but it is a little small for my needs and has limited off road capability.

Santa Cruz, no thanks, their comercials are offensive to start with, also too small, limited off road.

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm

Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
My girlfriend really wants one. Would be perfect for her daily commute. And will also be great for our trips to NC. Hard tonneau will make for a nice size trunk. She used to have a Ranger years ago and loved it. The Maverick is very similar in size to the old Rangers.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My girlfriend really wants one. Would be perfect for her daily commute. And will also be great for our trips to NC. Hard tonneau will make for a nice size trunk. She used to have a Ranger years ago and loved it. The Maverick is very similar in size to the old Rangers.
Imagine that thing with a nice body colored ARE cap.
Best bang for the buck in the world as an "active lifestyle" vehicle.

I wonder how much it costs to get the most basic version with AWD??

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just went on the Ford configurator.

I built a base truck with
1) AWD
2) auto transmission
3) 250 hp turbo 2.0 liter engine
4) 4000 lb tow package.

It came out to $25,540 MSRP with delivery charges. Nice job Ford.

I wonder how difficult it is to take off the doors. Ha.

Jeep Gladiator Test drove a new Ford Maverick Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 8.54.25 AM

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I just went on the Ford configurator.

1) AWD
2) auto transmission
4) 4000 lb tow package.

I wonder how difficult it is to take off the doors. Ha.

Jeep Gladiator Test drove a new Ford Maverick Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 8.54.25 AM

The one we priced out for her came to $32k.

XLT
AWD
Luxury package
4k towing
Co-pilot 360
Sunroof

On the fence with the FX4 package. She kind of wants it. I'm not a fan.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a guy on this forum that sells broncos at 4% under invoice. I'm sure he'd do the same for a maverick. He's in the Phili area.

32k msrp means a 30,400 ish invoice.

30,400 x .96 = $29,184

OP
OP
Phil3333

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Precisely what we are thinking,wife wanted to look at one I was like meh but after test driving I liked it a lot surprised me

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I've been intrigued with this new crop of personal pickups, I saw a Colorado with some lift and 33's and it looked gnarly (in a good way) and fun.

These trucks are of course different than Gladiator, they being a lot of IFS/IRS and unibody etc where as Gladiator is body on frame on live axles. I wonder though how light these trucks can be? I know we will never be able to get them down to trophy truck weights as those are trucks in name only but it would be nice to have a means to spec order a de-specialized edition with not much more than the legal requirements upon which to build a go out and do it toy. I know that's old hat here but the bloat is real and it leads to rigs that would never pass let alone survive the moose test.

But swerving back onto the road here, all of these new little trucks give me hope in terms of fun small and economic party wagons. And back in the bowels of my mind I used to see a LUV on the regular with this teeny tiny ubody with a teeny tiny ladder rack on top of a teeeny tiny camper shell and I thought it was so cool because it was like super station wagon but built for working. I have a soft spot for wagons and Ubodys and aussie utes (the el caminoids) and think what the world needs is a lot more small utility vehicles that aren't accords with a big trunk.

These won't ever be the option for go anywhere in any conditions wrangler & gladiator folks or the full size power wagon crowd but if you wanna go to that secluded surf spot and camp it out while you surf it out, mores the better right? I think we lose sight sometimes that not everyone is as harry hair shirt as we, and when they say we went on an adventure it didn't involve crossing an enraged creek in a hail storm while half the mountain washed down the trail and the only way through was up against the flow... they meant they got up real early and made their own coffee on the tailgate at the Brimmfield Antiques Show and ate some trail mix, then came home with the most adorable french county bed stand set that matches their bathroom cabinet perfectly. So give them a high five because they got up sooooo early and they'll give you a high five for coming back with the same number of kids and pets you left with.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
I am very high on the Maverick. Yes loaded versions overlap with far more capable trucks, but that cuts both ways as Rangers/Colorados/etc also have loaded versions which push the price up further. Base to base the pricing is great.

The money fact IMHO is that the Maverick is, almost unbelievably, the cheapest vehicle Ford makes. We can all think the competitiveness of the truck market and the need to keep market segmentation between F-150, Ranger, and Maverick for the fact that the Maverick with its useful bed and 40mpg hybrid powertrain is CHEAPER than the trash EcoSport with its 1.0l 3cyl.

Yeah, there are two trim levels: base starts at $20,000 and comes only in FWD with a hybrid power train; the higher trim level comes with the 2.3L EcoBoost and offers AWD.
No offense but aside from the starting price literally every fact in your post is wrong. There are three trim levels, all three come standard with the hybrid and FWD, AWD is available on all trims, the ecoboost is available but not standard on all trims, and the ecoboost is a 2.0l not a 2.3.
The hybrid is standard FWD, but if you go with the tow package Ford throws in AWD for the cost of the package.
The tow package requires the ecoboost You can’t get the hybrid with AWD. That is unless there’s been a configuration change - I’d actually love to be wrong here :)
1) AWD
2) auto transmission
4) 4000 lb tow package.

THIS! This is exactly what I’d recommend, or bump to XLT if you need cruise control. Also note the tow package changes the axle ratio - truck is gonna surprise a lot of people at stoplights given the ecoboost and the low curb weight.

On the fence with the FX4 package. She kind of wants it. I'm not a fan.
One thing to consider is the tow package and the FX4 have substantial content overlap, so getting both hurts the value proposition a bit. Jeep does this too with the battery upgrades across a few Gladiator options, but the Maverick options are more expensive on top of a cheaper base vehicle.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think the pricing is what's really getting people excited. It's important to remember that the reason the pricing is so low is because you're getting a lot less.

The bed is 6" shorter than a midsize truck bed, and 5" narrower at the wheel arches. And keep in mind that guys already complain constantly about how small these midsize beds we have now are.

It's FWD, which means maintenance and repairs will be a NIGHTMARE.

It's unibody, so it's as rigid as a crow bar. Zero flex or articulation. So it's not like you're going to take this on off road trails.

This vehicle is clearly aimed toward the city crowd who haul a few bags of mulch home for the flower garden or sports bags to the soccer field. It's not a replacement for a true truck that can take you off road on Saturday, haul a load of firewood on Sunday, and pull the fleet of mowing equipment for your business on Monday. The Maverick is extremely light duty.

I mean, McDonald's costs a lot less than Red Robin, but....
Sponsored