Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I am very high on the Maverick. Yes loaded versions overlap with far more capable trucks, but that cuts both ways as Rangers/Colorados/etc also have loaded versions which push the price up further. Base to base the pricing is great.

The money fact IMHO is that the Maverick is, almost unbelievably, the cheapest vehicle Ford makes. We can all think the competitiveness of the truck market and the need to keep market segmentation between F-150, Ranger, and Maverick for the fact that the Maverick with its useful bed and 40mpg hybrid powertrain is CHEAPER than the trash EcoSport with its 1.0l 3cyl.

No offense but aside from the starting price literally every fact in your post is wrong. There are three trim levels, all three come standard with the hybrid and FWD, AWD is available on all trims, the ecoboost is available but not standard on all trims, and the ecoboost is a 2.0l not a 2.3.

The tow package requires the ecoboost You can’t get the hybrid with AWD. That is unless there’s been a configuration change - I’d actually love to be wrong here :)

THIS! This is exactly what I’d recommend, or bump to XLT if you need cruise control. Also note the tow package changes the axle ratio - truck is gonna surprise a lot of people at stoplights given the ecoboost and the low curb weight.

One thing to consider is the tow package and the FX4 have substantial content overlap, so getting both hurts the value proposition a bit. Jeep does this too with the battery upgrades across a few Gladiator options, but the Maverick options are more expensive on topof a cheaper base vehicle.
Yeah the AWD with the hybrid is a very recent addition. Basically Ford realized that combining the tow package with purely FWD wasn’t great and threw in AWD. They actually cancelled those orders and sent memos to all the dealers to resubmit new ones to reflect the change.

Edit: Apparently this is not actually the case and Hybrid is FWD only still.

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the pricing is what's really getting people excited. It's important to remember that the reason the pricing is so low is because you're getting a lot less.

The bed is 6" shorter than a midsize truck bed, and 5" narrower at the wheel arches. And keep in mind that guys already complain constantly about how small these midsize beds we have now are.

It's FWD, which means maintenance and repairs will be a NIGHTMARE.

It's unibody, so it's as rigid as a crow bar. Zero flex or articulation. So it's not like you're going to take this on off road trails.

This vehicle is clearly aimed toward the city crowd who haul a few bags of mulch home for the flower garden or sports bags to the soccer field. It's not a replacement for a true truck that can take you off road on Saturday, haul a load of firewood on Sunday, and pull the fleet of mowing equipment for your business on Monday. The Maverick is extremely light duty.

I mean, McDonald's costs a lot less than Red Robin, but....
The reality is that many many MANY Gladiators will
1) never leave pavement.
2) never be asked to haul more in the back than groceries and maybe yard clean up debris.

For these people, the Maverick gives you very very little less for a huge amount less money.

And its going to be much much quicker than the Gladiator with the 2.0T.

I also don't understand how you get that repairs will be a nightmare since its FWD? I've owned RWD, AWD and FWD cars. Its no better or worse. Just different.

And yes, the unit body is stiff. Which means it will ride and handle better on-road.

This truck is brilliant in that it gives people what they actually need. Not what they fantasize that they need and then prices it so reasonably that they can't ignore it.

Yeah the AWD with the hybrid is a very recent addition. Basically Ford realized that combining the tow package with purely FWD wasn’t great and threw in AWD. They actually cancelled those orders and sent memos to all the dealers to resubmit new ones to reflect the change.
I did not know this. This will make for a really capable AWD vehicle that is ridiculously efficient, though probably much slower than the 2.0 Turbo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Phil3333

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I guarantee people will be surprised at the performance of the 2.0 I have JTRD with a tune it is easily the fastest jeep I have owned after my test drive I'm pretty sure the Maverick is faster

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
My father in law is still driving his aging Ranger as a work truck. He owns two mobile home parks and does all the work himself (with a few helpers when needed). He never had a need for a full size and doesn't want one now.

The current Ranger is more expensive and larger than what he would like. If they made the Maverick with a 2 door, 6ft bed option it would have been perfect for him. It might still be worth looking at the newer Rangers when the used market settles down in a couple years. Can't buy something that doesn't exist.

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
I am thinking of getting a Maverick to keep in the bed of my F250. It’s approaching a quarter million miles (20 years old), so this might be just the ticket in case of any breakdowns.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I’m too into cars and trucks to buy something practical. I gotta have something I love driving. Something cool and exciting. I’m perfectly ok with sacrificing something to drive what I want to drive, wether it’s MPG, price, conveniences, or whatever. I just want to be excited getting in my truck every day. We spend so much of our lives in a vehicle. Mind as well enjoy it.

That being said, I think the maverick is a great truck for Ford to build. Super smart, fits a big gap in the market. I’ll just never own one. Because it’s as exciting as a dishwasher.

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Ford does a great job with both their Maverik and Ranger (lots of tourque in their respective classes to start with)...I would have never found the Jeep Foroum if the Ranger had an optional Sun Roof (deal breaker, at least the JT has some kind of "sunroof".)...The salesperson tried to sell me a Maverick as it does have a sun roof option, but it is a little small for my needs and has limited off road capability.

Santa Cruz, no thanks, their comercials are offensive to start with, also too small, limited off road.
Too small?
Not in the cab, yes the box is small, has a bit of a bonus spot under the deck for storage. When I went to the Hyundai dealership to see it in person I was surprised that it was bigger than I had imagined. Nicer interior than the Maverick in my opinion.
I really don’t care what the commercials are saying, it appears in person to be a nice unit.
Biggest problem for me with either the Ford or Hyundai is being a first year production “beta” tester for them. Been there, done that, never again. That’s why we waited 2 years for the JT, let someone else work out the new product bugs.😏

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
I think the pricing is what's really getting people excited. It's important to remember that the reason the pricing is so low is because you're getting a lot less.
I love you WXman but I think this post is a big miss.

The pricing with respect to the content is incredible. For less than $20k you get 190hp, 40mpg, seating for four, and lots of cargo room compared to a car or SUV. I believe the number of other vehicles that offer that is zero. For $25k you get 250hp, AWD, 4k towing, and again four person seating plus a bed. Those are slam dunk price points. To take a random example, a Honda CR-V, a very high volume vehicle which seemingly meets the needs of hundreds of thousands of buyers, costs about $200 more than that second hypothetical Maverick. Compared to the Maverick the CR-V is down two drive wheels, a bed, and sixty horsepower.

Yes it's FWD (to start!) and unibody. So are the: Toyota RAV4, the aforementioned CR-V, the Chevy Equinox, and the Nissan Rogue. Each one of those vehicles represents the best-selling product from each respective automaker - most buyers just do not see those things as a problem, and in fact will like the superior on-road driving dynamics versus a body on frame truck/SUV.

20 years ago almost every volume manufacturer had a truck this size. Now this is the only option, and, inflation adjusted, it costs DRAMATICALLY less money for VASTLY higher performance (either fuel efficiency or acceleration, pick your engine accordingly).

If the pricing holds this is the most slam-drunk combo of vehicle content and pricing in the last decade.

I was so excited to see this, but I'm very sorry to say I think you're mixed up a bit. The report (https://www.kbb.com/car-news/some-ford-maverick-buyers-to-get-free-awd-upgrade/) is actually about ecoboost tow package builds getting the free AWD upgrade. As the article states "We should note that the news doesn’t apply to the hybrid Maverick, which isn’t available in AWD."

EDIT: With respect to the Hyundai, the sweet spot exists but is far narrower. If one doesn't care at all about power but demands AWD then the base Santa Cruz with only AWD added is also $25k. If one wants the larger motor the price rises $10k and at that price-point I don't see the value.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I was impressed with the practicality and all the features they packed into it. And I'm all about the compact truck life (1st car was a Mazda B2300).

But the auto-only / hybrid / turbo drivetrain killed it for me. KISS theory, I'd rather not have to go back to the dealer.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The reality is that many many MANY Gladiators will
1) never leave pavement.
2) never be asked to haul more in the back than groceries and maybe yard clean up debris.

For these people, the Maverick gives you very very little less for a huge amount less money.

And its going to be much much quicker than the Gladiator with the 2.0T.

I also don't understand how you get that repairs will be a nightmare since its FWD? I've owned RWD, AWD and FWD cars. Its no better or worse. Just different.

And yes, the unit body is stiff. Which means it will ride and handle better on-road.

This truck is brilliant in that it gives people what they actually need. Not what they fantasize that they need and then prices it so reasonably that they can't ignore it.

I did not know this. This will make for a really capable AWD vehicle that is ridiculously efficient, though probably much slower than the 2.0 Turbo.
Right, but you CAN go off road or haul huge loads or tow whatever you want with a Gladiator. You don't even have the option with the Maverick. That's the difference. And you don't even have to recreationally off-road your truck to have the advantages of a regular midsize. Have you seen the suspension of the Maverick? The exhaust hangs just a few inches off the ground. The shock mounts are also nearly touching the ground. The tires are low profile. It's literally a car with an open rear. I just don't see the comparison.

FWD vehicles are notoriously more difficult to work on. It's just a fact. Can't hardly get to anything because of the transverse mounting. They're very problematic at higher mileage and expensive. We've worked on just about everything in our shop over the years. I HATE working on cars. Hate it.

I guarantee people will be surprised at the performance of the 2.0 I have JTRD with a tune it is easily the fastest jeep I have owned after my test drive I'm pretty sure the Maverick is faster
It's been shown over and over again that the V6 in the Wrangler is equal to the 2.0T in acceleration and passing power. The Maverick should be faster because it's microsize. That's to be expected. But if you watch reviews (TheStraightPipes has a good one on YouTube) you can clearly see that the 2.0T in the Maverick is NOT what you'd call fast. I was actually surprised at how gutless it is down low. A lot of it is probably torque management though...trying to keep those FWD half shafts alive.

20 years ago almost every volume manufacturer had a truck this size. Now this is the only option, and, inflation adjusted, it costs DRAMATICALLY less money for VASTLY higher performance (either fuel efficiency or acceleration, pick your engine accordingly).
Right, but even those old S10s, Rangers, and Tacomas were real trucks. They weren't cars. They had ladder frames, high ground clearance, approach and departure angles that would allow you to leave pavement, etc. It's still not a fair comparison.

My point was never to say the Maverick shouldn't exist. My only point was that PRICE is why everybody is getting excited, but nobody is looking at VALUE. "You get what you pay for" definitely applies here. The Maverick will be great for a lot of people. But it's not a replacement for the current crop of pickup trucks in America.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I love you WXman but I think this post is a big miss.

The pricing with respect to the content is incredible. For less than $20k you get 190hp, 40mpg, seating for four, and lots of cargo room compared to a car or SUV. I believe the number of other vehicles that offer that is zero. For $25k you get 250hp, AWD, 4k towing, and again four person seating plus a bed. Those are slam dunk price points. To take a random example, a Honda CR-V, a very high volume vehicle which seemingly meets the needs of hundreds of thousands of buyers, costs about $200 more than that second hypothetical Maverick. Compared to the Maverick the CR-V is down two drive wheels, a bed, and sixty horsepower.

Yes it's FWD (to start!) and unibody. So are the: Toyota RAV4, the aforementioned CR-V, the Chevy Equinox, and the Nissan Rogue. Each one of those vehicles represents the best-selling product from each respective automaker - most buyers just do not see those things as a problem, and in fact will like the superior on-road driving dynamics versus a body on frame truck/SUV.

If the pricing holds this is the most slam-drunk combo of vehicle content and pricing in the last decade.

I was so excited to see this, but I'm very sorry to say I think you're mixed up a bit. The report (https://www.kbb.com/car-news/some-ford-maverick-buyers-to-get-free-awd-upgrade/) is actually about ecoboost tow package builds getting the free AWD upgrade. As the article states "We should note that the news doesn’t apply to the hybrid Maverick, which isn’t available in AWD."

EDIT: With respect to the Hyundai, the sweet spot exists but is far narrower. If one doesn't care at all about power but demands AWD then the base Santa Cruz with only AWD added is also $25k. If one wants the larger motor the price rises $10k and at that price-point I don't see the value.
Ah I must’ve misread that then. That’s a shame. I really do think they should offer the hybrid as AWD. It might kill some efficiency but I think it would garner even more buyers for those in snowier climates where AWD is needed.

I’ve seen a few Santa Cruz’s in my area and they look a lot better in person. It reminds me a lot of a born-again Subaru Baja.

Personally I’m glad to see a return to truly small trucks, but I thinkthis is going to accelerate the death of small cars and even small SUV’s. We’ve already seen this with the Maverick, as it’s replacing the EcoSport in Ford’s lineup.
Sponsored