Another small truck… Maverick

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
While not prevalent yet. The supercharging stations can knock out a charge in 45 minites if all is right with the world. I have seen some of you all at the gas station alng with my tribe. After all the bathroom breaks, snacks, a walk of the dog and finding that all important pillow. 45 minutes is not a stretch. There is no doubt electric charging infrastructure is in its infancy. There are fuel stations in the most tiniest of communties across the nation, I dont think anyone is arguing that. The comment, not a point of conjecture, is the quality and utility of electric drivetrains are starting to become a plausible, desirable solution for mainstream transportation. Hybrids are nice because we can still not worry about range and we get the benifits of electric powered drivetrains.
Sponsored

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
The local WaWa convience stores have charging stations. and a few stores. For them it is a win to capture customers who have to sit while recharging.
I think that shows the larger cities are doing well in terms of adding options. From what I've seen, where you run into problems is on a longer road trip where you'll inevitably drive through small towns and there won't be any chargers...or maybe there are one or two, but what happens when you get there and someone else just started a two + hour charge? I think electric is good, but at present limited to a very specific driver.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The local WaWa convience stores have charging stations. and a few stores. For them it is a win to capture customers who have to sit while recharging.
Of the 20 or so WaWa's that I would consider local to me, only 2 have charging stations and both are 100% Tesla network charging stations. Have any EV besides a Tesla, one is SOL.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I think that shows the larger cities are doing well in terms of adding options. From what I've seen, where you run into problems is on a longer road trip where you'll inevitably drive through small towns and there won't be any chargers...or maybe there are one or two, but what happens when you get there and someone else just started a two + hour charge? I think electric is good, but at present limited to a very specific driver.
This.

And this is where a smart hotel chain would step up and invest in charging stations for weary travellers. If I knew the Motel 6 in Winnemucca had a charging station, I could accurately plan my trip across the Nevada deserts.

Charging stations are going to follow the same path cell phones did. Or are following. Density first.

And someone has to step up and create/force a common charging plug. It's a no-brainer.

Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
That's exactly my issue with all-electric...you simply cannot take a long road trip without planning out charging locations (and spending a good bit of extra time while plugged in). We routinely take 1k mile + trips, and I just cannot imagine stopping every 250-300 miles for an hour or more to charge, while juggling kiddos and dogs that inevitably won't want to just sit in the vehicle for however long it takes to get back to full charge. Electric vehicles have made a lot of progress in recent years, but I still feel like they are for a very specific driver and just aren't adequate yet for long distance trips.
I recently purchased the Ford Mustang Mach-E, which is the equivalent to a Tesla Model Y. I agree, if your use is expected to include multiple cross country trips, you'll probably want to stay away from all electric for now. For us, this is a daily driver, and it's an incredible car for that. I installed a Level 2 EVSE in my garage, so every day the car starts with a full "tank", which is about 300 miles of range. The driving experience, as was mentioned earlier, is matched by only the most premium of sports cars, and it does it with about 30% of the moving parts. To charge the battery from completely empty to 100% at home (300 miles of range), costs only $9.60.

I personally would not be ready to move away from having an ICE in the garage, but don't let the green image of electrics make you believe they aren't serious vehicles. They have come a long way.

Last edited:

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Of the 20 or so WaWa's that I would consider local to me, only 2 have charging stations and both are 100% Tesla network charging stations. Have any EV besides a Tesla, one is SOL.
Yes, the Lewes De Wawa on Rt 1 has a bunch. On Saturday I was in West Chester area and the Brinton Lakes Wawa had 4 Teslas backed in for charging. I was wondering if people are charging there for free to save on electric bills.

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
I recently purchased the Ford Mustang Mach-E, which is the equivalent to a Tesla Model Y. I agree, if your use is expected to include multiple cross country trips, you'll probably want to stay away from all electric for now. For us, this is a daily driver, and it's an incredible car for that. I installed a Level 2 EVSE in my garage, so every day the car starts with a full "tank", which is about 300 miles of range. The driving experience, as was mentioned earlier, is matched by only the most premium of sports cars, and it does it with only about 30% of the moving parts. To charge the battery from completely empty to 100% at home (300 miles of range), costs only $9.60.

I personally would not be ready to move away from having an ICE in the garage, but don't let the green image of electrics make you believe they aren't serious vehicles. They have come a long way.
My complaint with all electric is that you are moving the source of the pollution to somewhere else.
Right now it is 40% natural gas powered power plants, coal 19% and nuclear at 20% that are generating the electricity. Renewables are only 20% of electric generation capacity.

Each energy source has compromises and costs.

Rick

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
While not prevalent yet. The supercharging stations can knock out a charge in 45 minites if all is right with the world. I have seen some of you all at the gas station alng with my tribe. After all the bathroom breaks, snacks, a walk of the dog and finding that all important pillow. 45 minutes is not a stretch. There is no doubt electric charging infrastructure is in its infancy. There are fuel stations in the most tiniest of communties across the nation, I dont think anyone is arguing that. The comment, not a point of conjecture, is the quality and utility of electric drivetrains are starting to become a plausible, desirable solution for mainstream transportation. Hybrids are nice because we can still not worry about range and we get the benifits of electric powered drivetrains.
So, that's the argument, that 45 minutes isn't all that long to wait? What if you have a person, two people ahead of you in the shortest line for charging your vehicle? What now? And, you're not accounting for those of us who get the pit stop done, tank filled, and are back on the road in less than 10 minutes. I think that's more of the norm than what you described.

Honestly, I've never seen so many electric/hybrid fanboys ever. There must be a lot of guilt out there about putting gasoline in gas tanks.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So, that's the argument, that 45 minutes isn't all that long to wait? What if you have a person, two people ahead of you in the shortest line for charging your vehicle? What now? And, you're not accounting for those of us who get the pit stop done, tank filled, and are back on the road in less than 10 minutes. I think that's more of the norm than what you described.

Honestly, I've never seen so many electric/hybrid fanboys ever. There must be a lot of guilt out there about putting gasoline in gas tanks.
Everybody has a different sliding scale of pain they will put up with. So EV's are not your thing and you made that apparent.

Every new tech has early adopters. Took close to 30+ years for automobiles to primarily replace the horse. This is the "1.0" version days of mass EV use. It will get better.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Trust me I am using all the gasoline. No guilt in burning dead dinos. I take quite the pleasure in it.

Oh and my jeep is faster than yours!

If you read the whole post I digress and say the infrastructure is not there yet but getting closer.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
My complaint with all electric is that you are moving the source of the pollution to somewhere else.
Right now it is 40% natural gas powered power plants, coal 19% and nuclear at 20% that are generating the electricity. Renewables are only 20% of electric generation capacity.

Each energy source has compromises and costs.

Rick
- Nobody with any credibility is claiming EVs have zero emissions.

- EVs aren't all that green if the power is coming from a coal plant. As the fuel gets more green, so does the EV.

- While wind and solar currently provide a small amount to the electrical grid, the percentage is constantly growing and the rate of growth is continuing.

- Nobody with any credibility is talking about shutting down every non-renewable power plant. It's a given that wind turbines do nothing in calm air and solar panels do nothing at night. The objective is a combined power grid with storage that will continue to get better and better.

I do understand it's hard to get a clear picture of all this stuff when there is so much misinformation out there; much of it comes from oil companies.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I recently purchased the Ford Mustang Mach-E... To charge the battery from completely empty to 100% at home (300 miles of range), costs only $9.60.
Nice! Curious how long it takes to go from empty to full charge...and is it reasonable to think you can half that time if it's half depleted or is there a fast charge for the first 1/3-1/2 and then regular rate? Most of the best use-cases I've seen for EVs are when someone has an ICE and EV, that way they can choose the best one for the trip at hand.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Nice! Curious how long it takes to go from empty to full charge...and is it reasonable to think you can half that time if it's half depleted or is there a fast charge for the first 1/3-1/2 and then regular rate? Most of the best use-cases I've seen for EVs are when someone has an ICE and EV, that way they can choose the best one for the trip at hand.
It depends on the type of charging you do. The Level 2 I have in my garage is AC, and charges at 40 amps, which adds a fairly consistent 30 miles of range per charging hour. Level 2 charging is consistent no matter the battery level, but does vary by the amperage of the station.

Fast charging is typically a DC charger, and the charging curve is set by the manufacturer of the vehicle. The best information I've found on the Mach-E is that it charges the first 5 minutes or so at maximum rate (approx. 150 KW/h), and then settles in around 80 KW/h. Because fast charging is harder on the batteries than a Level 2 charge, fast charging is typically limited to the 10%-80% range of a battery. Outside of those percentages, it charges at Level 2 rates.

If you're interested in more of the nuts & bolts, this is a great article on the charging rates of the Mach-E;

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Edition In-Depth DC Fast Charging Analysis (insideevs.com)

And I agree, having an ICE and BEV is really the best of both worlds. When the Colonial pipeline was shutdown, and 70% of the gas stations in the Charlotte NC area did not have fuel, it was great not having to worry. On the flip side, it's just as likely the electric grid could be taken down (if not more so) than the liquid fuels infrastructure.
Sponsored