First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Right, but you CAN go off road or haul huge loads or tow whatever you want with a Gladiator. You don't even have the option with the Maverick. That's the difference. And you don't even have to recreationally off-road your truck to have the advantages of a regular midsize. Have you seen the suspension of the Maverick? The exhaust hangs just a few inches off the ground. The shock mounts are also nearly touching the ground. The tires are low profile. It's literally a car with an open rear. I just don't see the comparison.

FWD vehicles are notoriously more difficult to work on. It's just a fact. Can't hardly get to anything because of the transverse mounting. They're very problematic at higher mileage and expensive. We've worked on just about everything in our shop over the years. I HATE working on cars. Hate it.

It's been shown over and over again that the V6 in the Wrangler is equal to the 2.0T in acceleration and passing power. The Maverick should be faster because it's microsize. That's to be expected. But if you watch reviews (TheStraightPipes has a good one on YouTube) you can clearly see that the 2.0T in the Maverick is NOT what you'd call fast. I was actually surprised at how gutless it is down low. A lot of it is probably torque management though...trying to keep those FWD half shafts alive.

Right, but even those old S10s, Rangers, and Tacomas were real trucks. They weren't cars. They had ladder frames, high ground clearance, approach and departure angles that would allow you to leave pavement, etc. It's still not a fair comparison.

My point was never to say the Maverick shouldn't exist. My only point was that PRICE is why everybody is getting excited, but nobody is looking at VALUE. "You get what you pay for" definitely applies here. The Maverick will be great for a lot of people. But it's not a replacement for the current crop of pickup trucks in America.
I would not compare a Maverick to a gladiator that is apples to oranges that said it has a payload of #1500 which equal to some forms of the gladiator and as far as quickness I drove one it felt faster than my ecodisel with a tune which is faster than the 3.6 as I stated before it's not a competitor to midsize trucks
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
7.2 seconds 0-60 in the highest horsepower Maverick you can get. And that was near Nashville, so low elevation. That's slower than my Wrangler Unlimited V6 went on 35" mud tires (6.92 seconds) and it's about .25 seconds faster than my Gladiator V6 went on 35" mud tires. So, it puts the Maverick into the typical range of vehicles that are larger than it, and much slower than vehicles that are smaller (sedans, etc.). Not stellar performance at all. And the hybrid models get saddled with a CVT transmission which is also a future nightmare. Just ask Nissan owners about that.

Then, he towed less than 3,000 lbs. and it DOUBLED his 0-60 time, which means that if you tack on another 1,500 lbs. of trailer to get to maximum capacity, it's going to be down right dangerous to merge into traffic.

I'm glad Andre posted that video, it puts numbers to what I've already been trying to tell people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil3333

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
7.2 seconds 0-60 in the highest horsepower Maverick you can get. That's slower than my Wrangler Unlimited V6 went on 35" mud tires (6.92 seconds) and it's about .25 seconds faster than my Gladiator V6 went on 35" mud tires. So, it puts the Maverick into the typical range of vehicles that are larger than it, and much slower than vehicles that are smaller (sedans, etc.). Not stellar performance at all. And the hybrid models get saddled with a CVT transmission which is also a future nightmare. Just ask Nissan owners about that.

Then, he towed less than 3,000 lbs. and it DOUBLED his 0-60 time, which means that if you tack on another 1,500 lbs. of trailer to get to maximum capacity, it's going to be down right dangerous to merge into traffic.

I'm glad Andre posted that video, it puts numbers to what I've already been trying to tell people.
Well I agree with you on the cvt and front wheel drive I wouldn't have either,other than that I can't figure out why you keep trying to compare this vehicle to midsize trucks l look at it almost like an el Camino sort of a car with light truck qualities

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
I still have my old Ranger, I also see there are a lot of guys here that came from a Ranger. It's a hell of a little truck, incredibly capable! I think my Ranger's payload is higher than the Gladiator. I've hauled pallets weighing over 1600lbs and she drove like a champ. I may lease a Maverick for the old man when his Silverado finally dies.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I was just watching this.
  1. 8 seconds to 60 MPH
  2. Average 44 MPG
  3. 1,500 lbs of payload
  4. AWD available
  5. Falken Wildpeak ATs standard on the FX4 package
  6. Priced in the mid $20s
In one swoop, Ford made Ridgeline completely irrelevant.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I went on cargurus to see if I could find a Maverick near me.

This is only one that popped up :CWL:
Jeep Gladiator Test drove a new Ford Maverick 799C07B2-B9C7-4AEE-B903-C17FE941F631

Looks like it is a 4WD, though...

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Just for fun I went and found my brochure from my '91 Toyota truck I had, extra cab 4x4 with the 2.4l four cylinder. These are the numbers, wheelbase 121" overall 193", weight 3060lbs, GVWR 4550lbs, HP 116, torque 140.
Looked up the Maverick with the 2.0EB, wheelbase 121" overall 199" HP 250 torque 277, could not find the weight or the GVWR.
Point is I used to do a lot with that size truck, granted the bed was 1.5' longer but had roughly the same payload. Assuming it is reliable it is a lot more capable than people give it credit for.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Jeep Gladiator Test drove a new Ford Maverick 20210928_193933

Speak of...

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Too small?
Not in the cab, yes the box is small, has a bit of a bonus spot under the deck for storage. When I went to the Hyundai dealership to see it in person I was surprised that it was bigger than I had imagined. Nicer interior than the Maverick in my opinion.
I really donā€™t care what the commercials are saying, it appears in person to be a nice unit.
Biggest problem for me with either the Ford or Hyundai is being a first year production ā€œbetaā€ tester for them. Been there, done that, never again. Thatā€™s why we waited 2 years for the JT, let someone else work out the new product bugs.šŸ˜
Yea, different need, different desires, great to have more choices...Both the the Hyndia and Maverick also have limited off-road capability, so beside the space given up in the bed, that is another reason they don't work for me...Of the two, I would pick the Maverick if they were my only options, at least I can get it with a light colored interior. Santa Cruz comes with only one choice, at least for 22, yep, you guessed right, black.

I was actually one of the Dude's who signed up for the 100$ (REFUNDABLE) down payment, OPTION to buy first few of the Santa Cruz. Never owned a truck, so I had to start somewhere...The more I learned about it the more I grew cold on it...Bottom line, a mid size truck works best for me, don't want anything bigger or smaller. That along with the ability to get a far more capable off-road package, an light colored interior, and some sort of psudo-sun-roof, has led me to the Mojave (and this was after looking at every single truck in the midsize space.

Took a little to get over the sticker shock though LOL!

2nd bottem line, every one of the choices out there involve a compromise of sorts. I'd like a little more torque out of the Mojave engine (no diseal for me thanks), and a regular electric sun roof over the pop-outs. But it is the best compromisee for me. I find dark colored interiors to be depressing and they get EXTREEMY hot in summer especially around beach and desert sand. This is a show stopper for me especially in a vehicle of THIS nature.

(Just an aside, the other Truck I was "high" on was the Frointeer 22 PRO4X...Nice package loaded in mid $40K's. But again, if I want a light colored interia I can't have a sun roof and vise versa (way the optioning is set up). Both these options are show stopers if not available.)

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The amount of clever thinking that went into this little truck reminds me of Hondas of 25 or 30 years ago.

Well done, Ford!

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Hoping to grab a used one in a few years for real cheap when the oldest starts driving.
Sponsored