Another small truck… Maverick

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
You may be right but I'm not so sure. What market segment are they targeting, compact truck? There's no such thing anymore. The days of the S10, (old) Ranger, T1000, Faster, etc. are over. (As an aside I loved my old '88 S10.) Jeep had a concept pickup based on the recent Renegade platform that looked pretty cool but to the best of my knowledge they scrapped due to there not being a market for it. The Maverick IMO looks like a midsize.
I think the front wheel drive, 40 mpg creates the market.
Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I think it'll be a big win for Ford (Kia is hardly a truck brand, and I don't know that their trucklet will really be taken seriously until the segment gets some legs),
Hyundai (and KIA) have the industrial background and chops to build a legit truck contender. KIA is supposedly developing a BOF mid size truck for the Australia market. But in the US they'd obviously have an enormous uphilll battle to make a dent against the Big 3.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More palpable than the Hyundai Santa Cruz. I would not replace my Gladiator with it, but if I was in the market for a daily commuter ride, would consider getting one.

For all the internet hand wringers cry for the old days of a cheap economical truck, this maybe the closest it is going to get. I suspect like someone else mentioned, the base XL stripped versions are going to be hard to find unless ordered. Would not surprise me to see them start showing up in fleet sales as auto parts store runner trucks.
This is what I was thinking. I work for the State DOT and we used to have everyone running around in the old Rangers with 2wd and now are buying Escapes. I think this truck may be a better vehicle for our use and am guessing we will start buying them the next time we need new vehicles

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everybody has a different sliding scale of pain they will put up with. So EV's are not your thing and you made that apparent.

Every new tech has early adopters. Took close to 30+ years for automobiles to primarily replace the horse. This is the "1.0" version days of mass EV use. It will get better.
I’ve never considered an all electric vehicle or even a hybrid for that matter. But this thread has me thinking that if I did the research and found an advantage for me to buy one I think it might work for families with two vehicles. We both daily commute, both cars can do that. For long road trips we take the other vehicle. If a $9.00 “fill up“ is realistic and there is little to no premium to buy the vehicle I could consider it. Not getting rid of my gladiator though!!!

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The 9 dollar fill up is a real thing. Which os pretty cool.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
- While wind and solar currently provide a small amount to the electrical grid, the percentage is constantly growing and the rate of growth is continuing.
The thing that most people don't realize is that additional wind/solar capacity is almost always offset by new, conventional capacity (typically gas), to take up the slack when it's still and dark.

There's no viable utility scale energy storage at the moment (things like molten salt, heat storage haven't panned out).

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I installed a Level 2 EVSE in my garage, so every day the car starts with a full "tank", which is about 300 miles of range.
Do you need a full charge on a daily basis? Could you go 2 or 3 commutes without charging? I ask because charging cycles do matter for battery life. I wonder if the typical practice to charge it every night is ultimately counter productive?

For my smartphone, I've definitely noticed less battery degradation when I've waited until charge is low to put it on the charger, than in the past when smaller batteries had me tethered to the charger whenever possible.

For lithium power tools, the advice has been not to charge until performance drops.

To charge the battery from completely empty to 100% at home (300 miles of range), costs only $9.60.
For now. If EVs are really the future, this will change.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Do you need a full charge on a daily basis? Could you go 2 or 3 commutes without charging? I ask because charging cycles do matter for battery life. I wonder if the typical practice to charge it every night is ultimately counter productive?
The owners manual recommends charging to a maximum of 90% if you charge daily and don't require the extra range, so that's what we do. You can go as long as you want between charges, up to 300 miles. The vehicle will allow you to set charging hours and percentages in the app, so it's an easy thing to monitor. The battery has a 99KWH actual size, but a 88KWH usable size. It uses this reserve to counter any range degradation over time, and Ford warranties the battery for 8yr/100k miles.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve never considered an all electric vehicle or even a hybrid for that matter. But this thread has me thinking that if I did the research and found an advantage for me to buy one I think it might work for families with two vehicles. We both daily commute, both cars can do that. For long road trips we take the other vehicle. If a $9.00 “fill up“ is realistic and there is little to no premium to buy the vehicle I could consider it. Not getting rid of my gladiator though!!!
Next time you get your electric bill, find or figure out the rate per KWH. Our electric provider is Duke Energy, and we pay just under $0.11/KWH. For the 88 KWH capacity of the Mach-E battery, it's just 88 x $0.11 = $9.68. I've seen some guys on the Mach-E forum that have overnight rates as low as $0.05/KWH, which means their fill up is under $5.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I think the front wheel drive, 40 mpg creates the market.
I'm wrong at least 30x a day and could be in this instance but I don't see this being anything other than a novelty market.

Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm wrong at least 30x a day and could be in this instance but I don't see this being anything other than a novelty market.
I guess we would have to define what we mean by “market”. I hadn’t given numbers a thought I just figured if you are going to buy a 24k Camry or Rav 4 you now have a vehicle similar in price, similar in mpg but that has more utility for some folks. I don’t pay enough attention to car sales to even be able to guess how many they might sell I just can understand the appeal based on my logic above. Time will tell and more options are a good thing

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I guess we would have to define what we mean by “market”. I hadn’t given numbers a thought I just figured if you are going to buy a 24k Camry or Rav 4 you now have a vehicle similar in price, similar in mpg but that has more utility for some folks. I don’t pay enough attention to car sales to even be able to guess how many they might sell I just can understand the appeal based on my logic above. Time will tell and more options are a good thing
I see your point. I loved my brother-in-law's Suburu Baja. I thought it was a great concept. But then again, why did they quit making them?

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think our shifter is just a rotary with a stick on it. Doubt its really connected to anything other than a a CAN bus...
Damn, I hate when you intellectuals make me think this early in the AM. Great point JCsii!!!!

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I see your point. I loved my brother-in-law's Suburu Baja. I thought it was a great concept. But then again, why did they quit making them?
Maybe they will bring it back. I am loving all these unibody trucks that are coming out now. It will make it more 'mainstream' and there will be less bashing of trucks like the Baja (it had a lot). Reality is, having a bed vs a SUV back is more useful.

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
You've got to be kidding. The Prius is extremely well documented as being one of the most reliable vehicles ever produced, by any manufacturer. And no, I don't drive one...but I'm well aware of the reliability and low cost to own. To throw the Prius into the mix when trying to prove hybrids aren't ready for prime time is just asking to lose the argument. Do some research and you'll find that Toyota did their homework on the Prius (though like any manufacturer, they had some learning pains on the first generation of it).
The argument that a hybrid Prius has yet to be tested/proved is certainly a ridiculous one. HOWEVER, I do want to note that the only vehicle in which I was stranded on the side of the highway was a Toyota Prius. (My wife, however, experienced a h/w transmission meltdown in her Jeep KL Cherokee) I rented a Prius when I was servicing my Jeep as I had a long commute and I was seriously contemplating buying one as a third commuter car. I drove that Prius very hard to see if it was up to task. Not any harder than my Jeep, though. Sure enough, the second day of renting it, it had an electronic meltdown, which left me on the side of the road. First response from rental agency when I called for help "Did you fill it with gas?" Yeah dumbass, I'm not stupid. Called AAA, same question. I reported the electric meltdown to Consumer Reports as they claimed no knowledge of the issue, even though it was publicized elsewhere with early Prius models. CR stinks!

One question I have with hybrids, electrics, etc., are they using low rolling resistance tires for their range estimates? I know someone that lost control of a Prius with low rolling resistance tires on the highway in the rain, which unfortunately was fatal. I am not trading safe grippy tires for extra mpg or their electric equivalent.
Sponsored