Sponsored

Another small truck… Maverick

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I think it's a brilliant move for Ford. 20k and 40mpg alone will get some interest, and it's a truck (kinda) to boot. Definitely a market for city and suburban dwellers and commuters who occasionally haul a sack of potting mix or can of gas. I like it for what it is. Actually this is probably what the near future is going to look like. Regulatory government agencies and politics created this and Ford delivered. Ford might be ahead of the curve with this one, time will tell.
Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I think it's a brilliant move for Ford. 20k and 40mpg alone will get some interest, and it's a truck (kinda) to boot. Definitely a market for city and suburban dwellers and commuters who occasionally haul a sack of potting mix or can of gas. I like it for what it is. Actually this is probably what the near future is going to look like. Regulatory government agencies and politics created this and Ford delivered. Ford might be ahead of the curve with this one, time will tell.
Just reading the specs and capabilities and pricing one out I think this is actually going to put a dent in Ranger sales. Outside of the people who want to tow 7500lbs. This thing will sell very well.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Ford Courier was a re-badged Mazda pickup. My Grandfather had a Mazda B2000 5 spd with a long bed, that was a shockingly capable little truck.

The Ranger was US sourced, and the Mazda B2300/3000/4000 were re-badged Rangers. There was a Mazda Navajo, too, a rebadged G1 Explorer. Had a buddy with a 94 Navajo, and I had a 97 Ranger, those were REALLY good trucks.

I think Ford could be on track to sell a TON of these. My wife thinks her mother would love a bed to put smelly stuff in, and it gets better mileage than her Honda HR-V. I think my Dad and Mom would love a pickup again, too - instead of another Nissan Rogue. This could really take a bite out of small, efficient SUV sales!

Young families can have a 4-5 passenger car that baby seats are safe in, but still have a pickup with a serious payload - 1500 lbs!! Wow!

Ford went its own path here, the Amarok was never coming over, I hope it lives up to the billing. $30K for an XLT and the FX4 package is damned aggressive pricing!

I get the impression the Escape, the Bronco Sport and the Maverick are all the same vehicle with different sheet metal. So, the Maverick is an Escape with a little pickup bed.

The old Ford Ranger was a re-badged Mazda pickup which was a small, body-on-frame truck. That's why people loved them so much.

But yeah, this Maverick is aimed at the Mall Crawler crowd so Ford will likely sell lots of them. (Wondering how long it will be before I see a "Donk" Maverick.)

Donk_Truck.jpg

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Already had an Escape with an eco-boom. Moved WAY up to a Gladiator. What a nightmare towing with a eco-boom.

Jeep Gladiator Another small truck… Maverick 11807269_977380968991799_2820006002848202461_o

Jeep Gladiator Another small truck… Maverick DSCF3914.JPG

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I just don't get the allure of a hybrid pickup truck. No interest here at all. Same answer in 2022 when Jeep releases a hybrid Gladiator.

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
1500 lbs of payload is pretty cool. You can get into one of these things as a pretty well equipped XLT, towing 4,000lbs for under $30k. Looks like Ford did a great job with pricing. Heck, likewise with the Bronco Sport pricing in my opinion.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The Ford Courier was a re-badged Mazda pickup. My Grandfather had a Mazda B2000 5 spd with a long bed, that was a shockingly capable little truck.

The Ranger was US sourced, and the Mazda B2300/3000/4000 were re-badged Rangers. There was a Mazda Navajo, too, a rebadged G1 Explorer. Had a buddy with a 94 Navajo, and I had a 97 Ranger, those were REALLY good trucks.

I think Ford could be on track to sell a TON of these. My wife thinks her mother would love a bed to put smelly stuff in, and it gets better mileage than her Honda HR-V. I think my Dad and Mom would love a pickup again, too - instead of another Nissan Rogue. This could really take a bite out of small, efficient SUV sales!

Young families can have a 4-5 passenger car that baby seats are safe in, but still have a pickup with a serious payload - 1500 lbs!! Wow!

Ford went its own path here, the Amarok was never coming over, I hope it lives up to the billing. $30K for an XLT and the FX4 package is damned aggressive pricing!
Thank you for the correction.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Namesake for one of the absolute worst Fords ever. I had a '72 Maverick. Real POS. Pinto XL.
Jeep Gladiator Another small truck… Maverick DSCF3914.JPG
My 73 Maverick with a 302 and manual transmission was awesome.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
A friend of mine in high school, now deceased, had his grandmother's 71 302 Maverick with the 3 spd auto and bias ply tires. That avocado green, too. This was in the '80's, so we immediately christened it the "Turbo Mav" because really, it was fast for those days!

Squirrelly bias ply tires though, YECH!

I like the new Maverick a lot better, they took a good name and put it on a neat vehicle this time!

Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Lots of torque and good MPG. What's not to like?
Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that infrastructure isn't set up for electric yet, it just makes me wonder how likely it is that you might get stuck somewhere needing a charge and have to be towed to a charging station of some sort. Call me crazy.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
How did the sheet metal hold out? Mine was a tissue thin rust bucket and only 4 years old when I got it.

OP
OP
Kevin_D

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that infrastructure isn't set up for electric yet, it just makes me wonder how likely it is that you might get stuck somewhere needing a charge and have to be towed to a charging station of some sort. Call me crazy.
Umm…
The Maverick is a hybrid, not an electric.

Kevin

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
If they can sell a front wheel drive one of these that sits right for 22k with mpg similar to a Camry or Accord but can haul some and tow some why not? It’s going to compete with SUVS AND SEDANS not real trucks. I say there is a market if the price is right