Sponsored

Any Issues with Tazer Mini/Lite after Steering Box Replacemet - TSB 08-074-20

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
I received my Tazer Lite and downloaded the update before I installed it in my truck. After the install I changed the tire settings according to the actual weighted height (33.5) of my 35 inch tires. After I changed the settings I did a full reboot. Went for a test drive but my speedometer was still off by 2MPH according to 3rd party GPS apps on my phone. I tried multiple attempts at changing the tire input. After the failed attempts I unmarried the Tazer, did a full reboot, did the sleep cycles, married it back, and changed the tire settings again. Went for another test drive but it's still off by 2MPH.

Can anyone help identify my issue? I'm pretty sure I followed the exact procedures provided by the manual. I did get my steering box replaced and dealer did the software update so I'm thinking this can cause an issue? Prior to the new steering box replacement, I had a local shop update my computer to change the tire settings and my speedometer matched perfectly to the GPS. After the steering box replacement and software update my settings went back to factory.
Sponsored

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
I think the Tazer assumes people are stupid and input the theoretical tire size.

I had exactly the same issue as you even before the steeering box update with my Tazer.

I have 315/70r17 KO2s and.... it was off a couple mph at 60-65mph. Doing the math from percentace it was off gave me the percentage I needed to increase my tire size by to get it right. Funny thing... it ended up needing to be set at like 34.97”. When I changed to that, everything was dead on via GPS on two different phones.

Just see what your actual speed to dashboard speed is at ~65mph. Get the percentage and then use that to calculate the amount you need to increase the Tazer size setting to.

OP
OP
Onebigyoshi

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the Tazer assumes people are stupid and input the theoretical tire size.

I had exactly the same issue as you even before the steeering box update with my Tazer.

I have 315/70r17 KO2s and.... it was off a couple mph at 60-65mph. Doing the math from percentace it was off gave me the percentage I needed to increase my tire size by to get it right. Funny thing... it ended up needing to be set at like 34.97”. When I changed to that, everything was dead on via GPS on two different phones.

Just see what your actual speed to dashboard speed is at ~65mph. Get the percentage and then use that to calculate the amount you need to increase the Tazer size setting to.
That's really odd. I've been researching what tire size you're supposed to enter and from what I read (mostly on JL Wrangler forums) it was clear that it's the weighted tire height and not the theoretical tire size. But I'll increase it and see what happens. Thanks for your advice

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
It seems hit or miss. I’ve seen several posts on the Tazer to put in the unweighted diameter from JT owners to get it correct. This actually makes sense since when rotating it’s really about circumference. However, I had to go up a touch even from that to get it spot on. Either way, it’s pretty easy to play around with and get it dialed.

One thing to note, if you’re using something like Waze to get your speed... don’t plug it into car play and look at the speed on the indash display. It defaults to displaying speed from the vehicle instead of GPS speed. Either have someone with you in the car looking at it while you have the cruise control set at 65-70mph or carefully put it on your dash where you can see the speed readout from your GPS app.

Good luck!

CG32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Occupation
Audio visual production sales
No matter which tuner I have used on my various vehicles, I have always had to play with the tire size a bit to get it to match up. Usually a 35 was entered at 34.75 or so, and it would get really close. Then it was trial and error to get it dialed in.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
"Weighted tire height" will vary with the pressure you keep in the tires. More pressure, taller tire, smaller footprint.
You will have a measured or calculated diameter based on actual dimensions as measured, however, the true distance covered for one revolution can be different.

ROLLING CIRCUMFERENCE = The linear distance traveled by a tire in one revolution.
And this can vary with load and inflation.
If you run more PSI than the next guy, the same tire will make slightly more or less actual revolutions in the same mile.

Basically, what you plug in will likely be a starting point unless you are lucky.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
How much fluid does the power steering system take

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How much fluid does the power steering system take
Owner manual doesn't give that - I assume they are assuming no owner is going to start with a dry system. (no real reason to do a full purge and refill under most conditions)

I can say the reservoir appears so small it would likely take only 8 ounces at most.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Owner manual doesn't give that - I assume they are assuming no owner is going to start with a dry system. (no real reason to do a full purge and refill under most conditions)

I can say the reservoir appears so small it would likely take only 8 ounces at most.
Had my box replaced. I’ve had to ad like half a quart total via three seperate occasions. Seems like the box is drinking it lol Tank Was bone dry when I got home. Figured I’d check cause steering was off. Just wondering if it’s being absorbed into the system or if I got a leak somewhere

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had my box replaced. I’ve had to ad like half a quart total via three seperate occasions. Seems like the box is drinking it lol Tank Was bone dry when I got home. Figured I’d check cause steering was off. Just wondering if it’s being absorbed into the system or if I got a leak somewhere
I'd say they forgot to run it and turn it lock to lock to ensure fluid made it all the way through.
WOW
I'd also let the dealer know how low it was.

JTMana

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
weird... i have 37s, i dont have a tuner or tire calibration yet. on Waze my MPH matches up with both speedometer and HUD digital speedometer. i was curious so i downloaded 2 other MPH apps. and they both lined up as well...

OP
OP
Onebigyoshi

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
weird... i have 37s, i dont have a tuner or tire calibration yet. on Waze my MPH matches up with both speedometer and HUD digital speedometer. i was curious so i downloaded 2 other MPH apps. and they both lined up as well...
That is unusual if you haven't adjusted your speedometer after installing bigger tires. Usually when you go bigger tires the speedometer on dashboard will read lower than your actual speed.

OP
OP
Onebigyoshi

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was finally able to adjust my speedometer correctly. Apparently since I have a manual I needed to do an ESS relearning procedure. Have to do it every time I change my tire settings. Oh and thanks to @briscoelab I upped my tire settings to 34.5X (so not my weighted tire height) to get it matched.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
That is unusual if you haven't adjusted your speedometer after installing bigger tires. Usually when you go bigger tires the speedometer on dashboard will read lower than your actual speed.
Jeep was claiming for a while that you could slap 37's on the JT without a speedo recal. I dont know if they have changed or redacted that or if it was a bit of an FCA overstatement. Or maybe youre just lucky.
Sponsored