Sponsored

Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Did he say both recalls or just one?
Didnt read the whole thread.
Wasn’t specific - but given the time frame, the first was either already done or they would certainly have done both while they were at it.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Did he say both recalls or just one?
Didnt read the whole thread.
Based on the date, both recalls would have been completed. Here's another post in that thread from someone whose clutch failed after both recalls and others are mentioned in subsequent posts. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rns-2018-jlu-to-the-ground.98834/post-2045675

My experience is that my JL's original clutch seemed glitchy and it was replaced under the recall at around 20k miles. The replacement feels like a regular clutch. I posted pics here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clutch-recall-new-clutch-pics.52128/post-1138274

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the date, both recalls would have been completed. Here's another post in that thread from someone whose clutch failed after both recalls and others all mentioned in subsequent posts. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rns-2018-jlu-to-the-ground.98834/post-2045675

My experience is that my JL's original clutch seemed glitchy and it was replaced under the recall at around 20k miles. The replacement feels like a regular clutch. I posted pics here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clutch-recall-new-clutch-pics.52128/post-1138274
OK, there's where it's said "both recalls" and there's zero doubt that the bloody thing exploded. Looks like some bell housings I've seen after a flywheel explosion.......

Someone needs to reach out to those plaintiffs with some of this, although it will probably still be dismissed since they were not directly impacted by the problem. They can't prove that even after the recalls, they were impacted in a negative way.
Obviously, a couple of other folks could.

Jeep Gladiator Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission? 1675572135257

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I was warned by local dealership that I should go with automatic transmission because manual transmission may be experiencing some issues? Sounded fishy.. Any truth? I'd love to get manual! I miss driving it!
8k no issues. The Aisin MT has been around a long time. Toyota uses a version in the Tacoma.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Since this thread was revived and I was reading extended warranties not so long ago. Pretty much nothing transmission related is covered under those when there is a manual transmission instead of auto.
I'm going to need a source here. Because I read my mopar maxcare contract word for word before I signed it. And due to your comment I just reread it again and frankly I think you're making stuff up. The only thing it doesn't cover are "manual transmission clutch parts"

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ive heard similar stories. Like plastic shift forks cracking and vehicle not staying in gear.
I personally wouldnt want the manual this generation as they fugged up the gearing. They basically took 4th out and added a 2nd overdrive. comparing it to my JK drive ratio It would suck on the highway.
The gearing of this transmission sucks. It's clearly geared for getting the best MPG on the EPA circuit. No one is expecting high performance "wow" out of Jeep truck. I do expect it to do 30 MPH uphill in third gear and maintain speed, it can't. I expect it to be able to back out of my driveway with out stuttering and stalling, it can't. We have two other manuals in the house and they are fine with the same task. The gearing in the JT is absolute crap for anyone that lives where there are hills. It's tough to admit that your $45k trucks transmission sucks but it does. Anyone saying otherwise lives in flat lands or doesn't want to admit it.
I live in NM, mountain state, my home is at 5460 ft elevation and it’s great. Better than my TRDPro.

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm going to need a source here. Because I read my mopar maxcare contract word for word before I signed it. And due to your comment I just reread it again and frankly I think you're making stuff up. The only thing it doesn't cover are "manual transmission clutch parts"
No one’s making stuff up. Though, it could always be a wrong interpretation of it. Have a look at it yourself:

NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME
Later
THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:

Mechanical - manual clutch assembly; clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch release bearing and pilot bearing (manual transmission); damage to flywheel as a result of a clutch failure; repairs to snow plows, winches and trailer hitches regardless of their installation; fasteners, bolts and attaching hardware that does not attach a covered component to another covered component;

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah that’s what mine says too. No one warranty’s clutches.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
No one’s making stuff up. Though, it could always be a wrong interpretation of it. Have a look at it yourself:

Later
Okay. My bad came off a little aggressive there. Sorry. But yes this is a wrong interpretation. All the parts listed there are "clutch parts" and are on the input shaft of the transmission. No internals of the transmission itself are listed.