Any regrets running load range E tires?

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Right, but you can’t tell me that going from a 32“ P rated all season all the way to a 33” all terrain E load on my stock 3.73s isn’t going to make a bigger difference in my mpg than a P rated or C rated all terrain. I’ve been paying attention the weight differences and it’s huge.

I know my case is different than most, I took a HUGE MPG hit going from 2017 Canyon All Terrain (3.6l/8 speed 4wd). I got 24 mpg hwy consistently to 16-17 hwy consistently. I need to take it in and see what’s up, but I definitely can’t make it worse so I’m actually going to probably keep it at a P rated all terrain going from the stock all season 255/70/18 to a 265/70/18 A/T. I’d do a C Load if anyone knows a decent A/T C load in that size.
Do you know the weight of your stock overland tires? I can't tell you how the mpg's will change, it really depends on your driving habits, if you are super mellow you won't notice as much difference as a person who just can't not accelerate fast or drive beyond the speed limit.

I can tell you that my avg mpg with the 285/85r17 Falken AT3W's since new is 17mpg. I have approx 7500 miles on the JT and do a good mix of city and hwy. City only mpg's are not great, I have start/stop and use it and try to be mellow on acceleration. Hwy is good as long as I stay under 65mph, if you're cruising at 80mph daily I would expect your mpg to be less than ideal.

I do understand the desire for greater selection. I want something that is about 35.5/11.5 in a hybrid design (ex cooper st maxx) but that just doesn't exist.

Smiles per gallon! When summer arrives and you have the roof and doors off, an extra couple mpg will mean little to nothing!

My 18 Tacoma TRD Offroad with a 33.5/10.25 Toyo MT was similar to the JT overall for mpg. Don't let a negative experience with your last truck limit you with the Gladiator :)
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, MPGs, with a Gladiator?!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Do you know the weight of your stock overland tires? I can't tell you how the mpg's will change, it really depends on your driving habits, if you are super mellow you won't notice as much difference as a person who just can't not accelerate fast or drive beyond the speed limit.

I can tell you that my avg mpg with the 285/85r17 Falken AT3W's since new is 17mpg. I have approx 7500 miles on the JT and do a good mix of city and hwy. City only mpg's are not great, I have start/stop and use it and try to be mellow on acceleration. Hwy is good as long as I stay under 65mph, if you're cruising at 80mph daily I would expect your mpg to be less than ideal.

I do understand the desire for greater selection. I want something that is about 35.5/11.5 in a hybrid design (ex cooper st maxx) but that just doesn't exist.

Smiles per gallon! When summer arrives and you have the roof and doors off, an extra couple mpg will mean little to nothing!

My 18 Tacoma TRD Offroad with a 33.5/10.25 Toyo MT was similar to the JT overall for mpg. Don't let a negative experience with your last truck limit you with the Gladiator :)
No. I was saying the Canyon got fantastic mpg in comparison. I got 24 mpg hwy consistently at 80 mph. That’s where I set the cruise control. I know it had cylinder deactivation and direct injection and better aero dynamics. I even tried to accommodate by slowing down and setting the cruise at 75 because I noticed it’s not shifting into 8th gear much at 80. I still am getting 17 mpg hwy, which is 5 mpg less than. Jeep’s claim. Hell I got 19 mpg in my JKU rubicon at 80 mph. I’ll take it in and have it looked at because 5 mpg short is not ok. My driving habits are the same.

Anyway, I just wish there were more C load options. I’ll probably end up with a P rated tire which will be fine for my uses. I just use it for daily driving, beach driving and camping which here in NC isn’t usually very challenging trails to get to my primitive camping spots. When I lived in CO, it was more of an issue.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Does anyone regret putting load range E tires on their Gladiator? What are your biggest complaints?
Tried E range on a JK a few years ago because I liked the idea of tougher sidewalls etc. but the everyday ride was awful and harsh and I won't put an E load range tire on a light duty rig again. After that experience I ran a heavy duty (2500) diesel pickup with E range and it was great. It's just not meant to be for a light duty Jeep in my opinion. I felt like I had to baby the Jeep in order to not rattle it to death.

To be honest I don't know what my Rubi factory Falken M/Ts are rated at, but I'd guess C, and so far they're doing great. Haven't wheeled with them yet.

EDIT: Correction - actually I think it was a D range I tried, not an E. Given the harsh ride on the D, I wouldn't want to try an E.

Last edited:
Reactions: N83

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Tried E range on a JK a few years ago because I liked the idea of tougher sidewalls etc. but the everyday ride was awful and harsh and I won't put an E load range tire on a light duty rig again. After that experience I ran a heavy duty (2500) diesel pickup with E range and it was great. It's just not meant to be for a light duty Jeep in my opinion. I felt like I had to baby the Jeep in order to not rattle it to death.

To be honest I don't know what my Rubi factory Falken M/Ts are rated at, but I'd guess C, and so far they're doing great. Haven't wheeled with them yet.
E is typically a big truck tire. D would be plenty.

C is light and given the multiple versions of the Gladiator it's understandable that FCA spec'd a C-rated tire like the Falken Wildpeak. They leave it up to the owner to upgrade their tires to something different.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm averaging 21-22 MPG on OEM tires 245 (31ish) at 45-47 mph my mileage jumps up 25-30 mpg when I hit 70 mph it drops to 20 and lower. Then about a 1 mpg per mile over that. I track my gas useage and $ spent as a habit learned in Army. My LJ average mpg is 17. My MJ got great MPG before I was driving it in Europe, it was better than 25 mpg with the 4.0 I regularly got 29 mpg. Reasons for Jeep not economy box, survivable in crash aka not a coffin on wheels. 2 any weather conditions I can still get some where. I'm not sure if anyone bought a new Jeep expecting crazy great gas mileage but for the capability of it. Just a thought. ;)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets here.

Jeep Gladiator Any regrets running load range E tires? IMG_1197

Dmehrl

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator high altitude
Occupation
Shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
What size tire @ rim specs please. Also, running wheel spacers ? Any lift ?

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Wow some guys have sensitive buts. I can’t tell the difference between a c and an. E. In my jkur running 35 BFG. I got 12.7. Never more than 16. In my jlur I got about 15-16. Never close to 20. In my jtr I get about 15. That’s running at 75-85 on the 5 and 99. I do have a lead foot thought

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have always ran E Rated BFGs for the last 4yrs. 2010 JKU got 14.6 mpgs on 35's a 13.3 mpgs on 37's. My JT Max tow gets 18.5 on BFG 35's and I'm super happy with that. 37's are coming.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I had E rated KM2s on my JK. Never again. The C rated KO2s are night and day smoother.

My brother's Gladiator had 33" factory Wildpeak MT's on it with C rating. It rode a bit better than my JL (35" KO2s, C rating, Mopar lift). He then put a Mopar lift on it and it was still smoother. Then came the 35" Wildpeak MT's with E rating. It no longer rides as smooth as my JL. It isn't bad, at all, but there is a difference.

I won't go with E rating again on a Jeep. My next tire will either be another set of the same KO2s with C rating, or if I go to a mud tire, General Grabber AT3's. They actually make a C rated version in 35x12.5x17. I'm leaning toward that, although I absolutely love the KO2s. Either way, they'll ride better than the unecessary E rated tires.
Sponsored