Sponsored

Anyone have any experience with Insane Audio?

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I’m mostly interested in general usability. How does the connected internet work with maps, OffRoad apps, entertainment, how quickly does it boot up, visual quality of the backup camera. I’m trying to decide if this is better than an iPad strapped to the dash. Also, does it have and a gyro for clinometer apps?

This is basically what I got it for and it works very well for me so far. I use Gaia mostly and I have had no issues.

Generally boot up is instant as it just goes to sleep wen the vehicle is off (just like the factory unit). If your battery dies or is disconnected it will need to do a full power up which takes 30 seconds or so.

I think the quality of the camera is fine, but because the screen size is larger than factory it doesn't look "HD", but I don't notice anymore.

I'll have to check on the gyro part, but I don't think it does. What app were you looking at using? I can try it out.

I put my GPS antenna on top of the roll bar just above the front of the drivers door (towards the windshield) and it seems to work perfectly.
Sponsored

jimonfly

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I’m mostly interested in general usability. How does the connected internet work with maps, OffRoad apps, entertainment, how quickly does it boot up, visual quality of the backup camera. I’m trying to decide if this is better than an iPad strapped to the dash. Also, does it have and a gyro for clinometer apps?
I have an Android phone (Samsung S21) and I set a routine to turn on my hotspot every time the phone connected to the head unit. After 10 seconds or so the unit had full internet capability. You then download the apps you want to use and it runs them fairly well.

FWIW, I just traded into a Mojave that has the 8.4, so I pulled my IA unit. I have it posted in the marketplace.

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Can anyone give a solid comparison on the 8.4 OEM and JL3001?? I get that many with the 5 and 7 are going this direction but how does the 8.4 compare to this unit?

LoPing

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Account Manager
Can anyone give a solid comparison on the 8.4 OEM and JL3001?? I get that many with the 5 and 7 are going this direction but how does the 8.4 compare to this unit?
I had both.. My 2020 came with the 5" that was garbage, I bought the IAJL3001 and it looked great, had some nice features, but the biggest issue I had with it was having to connect it to my phone every time I got in the jeep and the connection time could be 3-4 mins. Also the Sirius XM app was not good, it does not fit the native resolution of the JL3001 so the screen gets cut off and you cannot see all of the content you want. After realizing that it was 100% dependent on my cell service I sent it back and got the 8.4" which I like so much more.. It fires up immediately taps into Sirius immediately, has Carplay, I can be off on a trail or on the beach without cell service and everything works.. also has a matte screen unlike the JL which is glossy so if you have your roof back/off it's glare can be really annoying. Also the 8.4" will be tied to your Jeeps VIN so if you ever go to sell/trade it shows up as standard equipment and will hold value better than the JL3001... I guess that's subjective, but for a dealer they'd probably like to see the OEM system as opposed to an aftermarket one.

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
I had both.. My 2020 came with the 5" that was garbage, I bought the IAJL3001 and it looked great, had some nice features, but the biggest issue I had with it was having to connect it to my phone every time I got in the jeep and the connection time could be 3-4 mins. Also the Sirius XM app was not good, it does not fit the native resolution of the JL3001 so the screen gets cut off and you cannot see all of the content you want. After realizing that it was 100% dependent on my cell service I sent it back and got the 8.4" which I like so much more.. It fires up immediately taps into Sirius immediately, has Carplay, I can be off on a trail or on the beach without cell service and everything works.. also has a matte screen unlike the JL which is glossy so if you have your roof back/off it's glare can be really annoying. Also the 8.4" will be tied to your Jeeps VIN so if you ever go to sell/trade it shows up as standard equipment and will hold value better than the JL3001... I guess that's subjective, but for a dealer they'd probably like to see the OEM system as opposed to an aftermarket one.

Thank you!!!

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
That is surprising. My phone connects immediately and my XM was perfect all the time while I had the trial.

LoPing

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Account Manager
If you only had the trial it's likely that you don't know what the app is supposed to look like and perform. I have used XM for probably 15 years at this point on various players and in a multitude of cars. With the JL you could see the top portion of the app, but the lower half was cut off and lets say you had your favorites set up on your primary screen e.g. Country, Reggae, Rap, etc. maybe only two of those options were visible and the others were buried below with out an option to scroll to get to them. I contacted IA several times about the issue and they told me it was a known issue and that there was nothing they could do about it as Sirius had to make the app specifically for IA to conform to it's resolution (which they weren't going to do).. If they've since done it I'd be surprised, but the XM/Sirius experience sucked royally with the JL. Also I'm assuming you have an Android phone? As the JL OS is android you were prob able to connect rather quickly.. with IOS that was not the case.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
If you only had the trial it's likely that you don't know what the app is supposed to look like and perform. I have used XM for probably 15 years at this point on various players and in a multitude of cars. With the JL you could see the top portion of the app, but the lower half was cut off and lets say you had your favorites set up on your primary screen e.g. Country, Reggae, Rap, etc. maybe only two of those options were visible and the others were buried below with out an option to scroll to get to them. I contacted IA several times about the issue and they told me it was a known issue and that there was nothing they could do about it as Sirius had to make the app specifically for IA to conform to it's resolution (which they weren't going to do).. If they've since done it I'd be surprised, but the XM/Sirius experience sucked royally with the JL. Also I'm assuming you have an Android phone? As the JL OS is android you were prob able to connect rather quickly.. with IOS that was not the case.
I mean I had the XM app, but I do not know how it looks on the 8.4 so you very well might be right there. 👍

I have both an iphone and android. Both connect immediately.

LoPing

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Account Manager
I mean I had the XM app, but I do not know how it looks on the 8.4 so you very well might be right there. 👍

I have both an iphone and android. Both connect immediately.
Different experiences for different people.. I'm on a bunch of Jeep FB pages and see people who like it and some who had similar experiences to mine. A LOT of people like the Stinger, but then again you're dependent on your phone connection and that one requires an additional XM receiver which costs another $150... prob $200 now. I think the 8.4 with its nativity with the Jeep and then being tied to your VIN for resale is just the best option for me. If I never went off-roading and only went to Best Buy, the grocery store and running around town (Not sure why any one would have a Jeep just for that) the IA or the Stinger would be fine, but I go places where I lose cell service and it's awesome to have the satellite and be able to listen to XM when I'm in the boonies.

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
I wound up going with the 8.4 but need to somehow get it tied to my VIN. Im having a tough time getting this done. I know al the info from the original owner, just need to figure this out

Sponsored

Beazt_253

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mechanic
I wound up going with the 8.4 but need to somehow get it tied to my VIN. Im having a tough time getting this done. I know al the info from the original owner, just need to figure this out
Have you had any luck figuring it out? I'm in a similar situation as you.
Thank-You

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
Has anyone tried to use the trailer zoom function on the factory rear camera? How did you access it?
Sponsored