Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I agree
Android auto limits your access to the off road map info
Its been crazy windy out here SF Bay area California so I am staying of the roads
I will let you know about night screen with the anti glare soon
Thanks
One other question actually, I think I saw in the JL forum thread someone said there is no separate slider for the sub?

I added a jvc and I hope that isn't the case.. If you could get a picture of the audio settings that would be awesome.
Sponsored

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Machinist / Auto Technician
There is
when you bring up the equalizer upper right corner it will say settings
In settings this is what you have for the sub wired to a power amp
I just installed last week a factory Rubicon sub woofer that I got off of Ebay and a power amp
No boom box put It works good and only 200 watts
Sorry about the picture out of focus I could not get it to focus on the screen

IMG_1679.JPG

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
There is
when you bring up the equalizer upper right corner it will say settings
In settings this is what you have for the sub wired to a power amp
I just installed last week a factory Rubicon sub woofer that I got off of Ebay and a power amp
No boom box put It works good and only 200 watts
Sorry about the picture out of focus I could not get it to focus on the screen

Jeep Gladiator Insane Audio JL4001 IMG_1679.JPG
Thanks a lot! That is what I needed to see.

I think I'm going to go for it, especially if they still have the trade in deal.

Thanks again for the help.

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
I just got the new JL 4001 updates installed and now they have a dark mode which is nice and my clock works on 12 hour format
Put other apps like Pandora and google maps are still bright at night
I know that on some apps you can switch to dark mode . I will have to experiment with what is possible
I sent them an email with one big complaint about the upgrade
You can no longer move apps around to different pages
On my first page I had the apps I use all the time put now you have to scroll through 3 pages to find your app
I told them this is dangerous. The last thing I want to do is scroll through 3 pages wile driving
They have been really good on there tech support compared to other radios that I heard have little to no tech support
They will fix it
Thanks
Larry

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Yeah, I was having issues with Google maps not automatically going to dark mode. Around town for short drives it wasn't an issue, but anything over an hour or two its pretty fatiguing, especially when the screen doesn't dim very much.

I certainly hope they fix the app location issue, that would be nearly a deal breaker for me. Part of the appeal of using an android radio is being able to set up the display layout exactly how I want it..

They did just email me back this morning about the trade in, so that's good. For the trade in price I don't think there is much in the way of competition for the 4001, at least if I want a 9" screen...

Sponsored

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
I think they will fix the app issue
I one of there most important features

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
You are able to move any 7 apps to the home page and there are 5 fixed apps on the home page
I hope they will make it so you can move around all 12 apps

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
You are able to move any 7 apps to the home page and there are 5 fixed apps on the home page
I hope they will make it so you can move around all 12 apps
What are the fixed apps?

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
1 insane navigation
2 phone hard wire USB
3 am/fm radio
4 phone paring
5 all apps page

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
1 insane navigation
2 phone hard wire USB
3 am/fm radio
4 phone paring
5 all apps page
Hopefully they do make the changes, it seems strange to have an icon for nav when there is a physical button for it.

I don't use nav, or the radio at all so that would be kind of annoying.

Sponsored

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Me ether
I have told them many time that iGO Navigation software sucks put then I found out that almost all the after market radios use iGO Navigation software
I just installed a Garmin Overlander above the rear view mirror and I have GAIA / onXmaps and google earth
I should be covered

IMG_1681.JPG

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Yeah, I use Gaia an onx primarily myself, I actually never bothered to use the igo nav

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Drove it last night and the dark mode is really nice
Also found some hidden adjustments
On the home screen if you tap location you can go in and change from metric setting to US settings like clock 12 hour format / MPH instead of KPH / feet instead of meters and more
I am on my third screen protector trying to find one the works. What I did discover DO not try the blue blocker type they degrade the sharpness of the screen
As I discover adjustment and features I will post what I have found
Any buddy that has a insane jl 4001 and would like to post what they have found. Please do
Thanks
Larry

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Drove it last night and the dark mode is really nice
Also found some hidden adjustments
On the home screen if you tap location you can go in and change from metric setting to US settings like clock 12 hour format / MPH instead of KPH / feet instead of meters and more
I am on my third screen protector trying to find one the works. What I did discover DO not try the blue blocker type they degrade the sharpness of the screen
As I discover adjustment and features I will post what I have found
Any buddy that has a insane jl 4001 and would like to post what they have found. Please do
Thanks
Larry
Well, my 4001 arrived this morning! Got it installed pretty quickly and overall I think it's definitely an improvement.

I haven't driven with it at night, so I haven't really had a chance to play with the brightness.

Pros for me:
  • The screen seems much nicer than the 3001, it looks nice and sharp
  • The vehicle settings are much better, the 3001 that was kind of a wreck.
  • The GPS antenna now has a compass which I kind of missed previously. It still doesn't show up on the jeeps screen, but I'll take it.
  • I don't think the audio sounds really any better than the 3001, but I still have a lot of tweaking to do. It definitely doesn't sound worse, so I'm pretty happy.
  • I really like when you hit one of the hvac controls on the truck that the 4001 pops up the actual hvac page you are interact with. The 3001 just popped up a graphic that you couldn't interact with.

Cons:
  • By far the biggest thing I currently can't stand is the home page and the fact that I can't change those 4 or 5 icons on the left. I actually like the overall layout it comes with, but I will be using none of those fixed buttons.
I really want to be able to put stuff like the rockcam app or youtube music or whatever I actually use regularly. It's even more annoying that they also put in hard buttons for something like nav, it makes no sense to have both buttons. At least I was able to map the nav button to Google maps, but it's still stupid lol. I'll definitely be emailing IA about that.
  • It's a little annoying that Android auto doesn't automatically start and you have to select the app. Not a huge deal, especially since I rarely use it. It does work fine at least.
  • The Bluetooth streaming app is very basic (same functionality as the 3001), it only has skip fwd/Rev and play/pause. It would be really nice if it had shuffle, song progress bar, etc
  • This is minor and I kind of mentioned it above, but the fixed buttons are kind of unnecessary and/or redundant, I understand that if you have different trim the center console doesn't have a volume dial, but at least for me it's more clutter on the dash. If I could change the default shortcuts on the home screen (again, I don't need two buttons for nav), that would help.
  • The screen does seem a bit too reflective/glossy, but so far it's not any worse than the 3001 to me. As long as it dims properly it should be OK.
I've only had it installed a few hours, so I'm sure I'll come up with other pros/cons....
Overall though, I'm very happy with it. Anything is an improvement over the functionality of the uconnect 7". I only had it back in for a week and I was ready to smash it lol..

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
They have a new update that just came out late last mouth
Check and see if yours has the latest software
I have been driving more at night and the screen is pretty good at night in dark mode
I sent insane an email complaining about the fixed button icons on the left side of the screen
I think the home page would be great if I could move or delete those buttons
Send them an email complaining about the fixed buttons and maybe they will fix if a lot of people complain
Sponsored