Sponsored

Anyone know how to install a some kill switch to the Gladiator?

Sal's Dad

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I hate having a key fob in my pocket, and am not looking forward to “the brick” (should be getting truck this week!). Wondering about leaving the fob in the vehicle, perhaps in a foil enclosure, with a switch/key on the clutch ground circuit.

thoughts?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You are asking for complications......

Why not get a holster. It hangs from belt loop or whatever, out of the way and with passive entry, I literally never touch it unless hooking it on or taking it off when I get home and hiding it. I often forget I even have it there.

IMO, it's much ado about nothing - and once you modify things and have issues and the dealer has to work with it, or whatever........

Sal's Dad

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
You are asking for complications......

Why not get a holster. It hangs from belt loop or whatever, out of the way
a holster -for a car key? Gotta be kidding…. This is my current key ring - 2 vehicles, 5 houses, 30 padlocks.

CA1AE3AE-193D-4A64-82A3-0D43F06B9FEF.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why gotta be kidding? There are holsters for all sorts of things, it works and it works fine. I do NOT carry my other keys with my truck fob. I don't want them connected together. It's a habit I have - house key, shop key, NOT with any car key.

You've never had a job in security or responsibility for 100 wiring closets, server rooms and so on. You've had it too easy with your common key for everything.
My father had to carry everything below daily for his job in a factory as an inspector, a UAW member. I'm comparing how small and insignificant the JT fob really is in the grand scheme of things and yet people make it the sin of the world.

I could comment further, but won't - you'll never be satisfied. There comes a point you can't control everything, but leaving a fob in a vehicle? And trying to find ways to bypass things - there's a whole other thread on that and you'd LOVE the guy who started it all.
Do we need ANOTHER thread on bypassing the JT electronics and how the fob is ruining lives?

Jeep Gladiator Anyone know how to install a some kill switch to the Gladiator? 20200906_152050

BearDog

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport Max Tow. '20 H2SXSE+. RV-4 Airplane
Occupation
Machine Shop Manager
Several threads asking this. Nothing is 100%, but why not just install hood locks and pull the starter and/or ignition relay? Makes it take longer than the thief would like to spend.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Started with fob inside to emulate thieves using fob repeater. Drove away with no fob. Stopped and restarted with no fob.

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Dang, sometimes I cant even get my Jeep started, let alone be worried its going to be stolen.
Two situations where Ive had issues:
-Remote starting the jeep from one fob and trying to use the other to drive it away. It wouldnt let me, stating "fob not found", even with shutting it down and trying to restart with the fob I had in my hand. I had to go back inside and get the other fob to drive the jeep that day. Since then Ive stored the spare set instead of hanging it from the key hook in active use. Typing the below, I perhaps should have tried the lock/unlock procedure in this instance. Still annoying since I have to shut it down and restart.
-Just happened to me for third time since I got the jeep in October. If i leave the fob in the jeep for an extended period of time, get in and try starting it, it says "fob not found". I have to lock/unlock the jeep from said fob to get it to recognize it again. The things got a key holder in the cup holder. This is just unacceptable.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Somehow I knew what was going on , and If I had listened to myself the first time,
I probably would have caught the guy.
The year was 1984 and I had parked my topless '81 CJ7 under the car port at my apartment complex and run into the apartment to grab a few things. When I returned (with the few things) and was walking to the vehicle, I thought I saw someone standing by the Jeep for a brief second but then was gone.

I hopped in the driver seat and as I was about to put the key in the ignition, I noticed the radio, knobs missing, semi hanging out of the hole in the dash. I hopped out and walked around the vehicle and there was a guy crouching by the passenger rear wheel. He takes off running through the apartment complex, I chase him and tackle him in the grassy common area and subdue him with a half nelson. I knew there were some CHP officers that lived in the complex as well, so I started yelling for help until they came out.

Fast forward to the trial, even though he had burglary tools on him at the time and the knobs to my radio were in his pocket, the case was thrown out because stealing radio knobs was a misdemeanor (at least in 1984), so he got a slap on the wrist. The prosecutor literally said to me "The next time, let them steal the whole thing..."

*&#$-ing California!!!

Last edited:

MrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator

Toro34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKU Sport, 15 JK Sport, 23 Mojave
this thread is a few years old. I believe the Taser JL now has a pin function that will brake and shut off the vehicle if the correct pin isnt entered using the steering wheel buttons in 30 sec (?)

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
this thread is a few years old. I believe the Taser JL now has a pin function that will brake and shut off the vehicle if the correct pin isnt entered using the steering wheel buttons in 30 sec (?)
Yes, and there's other threads about how to try and stop theft.

Toro34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKU Sport, 15 JK Sport, 23 Mojave
Yes, and there's other threads about how to try and stop theft.
Agreed! And a kill switch is definitely much cheaper than the Taser. Just trying to provide options/ideas that may not have been available when this thread was started

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Kill switch off from the brake pedal switch.

With the auto trans, you have to press the brake to shift into gear......... nice easy way

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Kill switch off from the brake pedal switch.

With the auto trans, you have to press the brake to shift into gear......... nice easy way
Good luck explaining that to a tech, or the next owner.