Sponsored

Anyone know how to install a some kill switch to the Gladiator?

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Tried a search and nothing.
Anyone add a kill switch? If so how.
Anyone know a good simple idea.

Anti-theath precocious.
Had a toggle switch under a 1973 Nissan Skyline I had in Japan in the 80's.
Was already installed before my ownership.
Sponsored

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I just bought a used Sprint Booster V3 from a member on here. It has a peddle lock out with a 3 digit pin that you choose. You can start the truck but pressing the throttle does nothing, it just idles. The control unit is tiny and could easily be hidden if you don't want to mount it on your dash. Should be in my door step on Monday. I was on the fence with these throttle devices until I found out the Sprint Booster had a peddle lock out and I saw one used at a reasonable price.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Tried a search and nothing.
Anyone add a kill switch? If so how.
Anyone know a good simple idea.

Anti-theath precocious.
Had a toggle switch under a 1973 Nissan Skyline I had in Japan in the 80's.
Was already installed before my ownership.
What is the end goal you are trying to accomplish?

The JT already has a computerized lockout, and needs the FOB in the cab to get it in a driveable state. Any of the methods to slowdown a thief can easily be overridden with a Tow Truck. If they really want the vehicle, it will be taken regardless of what you do.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Off-topic:
When I had my JK a car theft ring was using some device on them to just start the engine by connecting to something under the hood the detective said. They stole two in one night from my apartment complex without an alarm going off. Pop the hood latches, cut the horn wires and do whatever it is they do. Mine was manual JK and they were after auto JKUs so it was off their list but it didn't stop me from putting the Mopar hood lock on it. I think at the time I was also using one of those silly steering wheel lock bars and had it set into the metal grab bar I had installed on the a-pillar. :LOL: Maybe just get yourself a hood lock or if you have the front camera some aftermarket locking hood latches?

Sponsored

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave

The JT already has a computerized lockout, and needs the FOB in the cab to get it in a driveable state. Any of the methods to slowdown a thief can easily be overridden with a Tow Truck. If they really want the vehicle, it will be taken regardless of what you do.
You're absolutely right, they want it bad enough they are going to get it. I'm not going to bend over and hand it to them, hopefully they move along to a bait car. I've had vehicles broken into, batteries stole, glove box and center console busted open, gas syphoned. You can be the only truck parked at a trail head, go fishing, come back and you're still the only one at the trail head but your window is smashed out. Your battery is gone, gas gone, and don't forget the change in the cup holder. Now I'm walking out of here till I get some cell coverage. Yes you're right, can't stop them, but I worked hard for what I have and if someone wants to steal it I'm going to make it difficult.

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a weird true story about a car break in I experienced. (Sorry, not Jeep Related)
A long time ago when I was much younger, I was a pizza delivery guy for Dominoes. My ride at the time was my 69 Plymouth convertible, which definitely has a personality bordering on being a little paranormal.
One night, it was parked out front of the pizza shop and I was in the back room cleaning up.
My brain said to me: "You should go look at your car."
I thought that was a weird random suggestion from my brain, so I ignored it.
Then the urge got MUCH stronger.
"You REALLY want to go look at your car...NOW"
Ok, Ok, I put down the broom and walked through the store and out into the parking lot just as the wind blew the drivers door closed.
Someone got in my car and stole the radio.
Somehow I knew what was going on , and If I had listened to myself the first time, I probably would have caught the guy.

So to make matters worse, I filed a police report, the cops found the guy, found my radio (that had my name written on it from a friend who gave it to me) AND matching serial numbers from the owners manual I still had, but wouldn't give it back to me because (quote from cop) "Some girl witness at a party couldn't get the date right when she overheard him talking about stealing a radio from a blue car at Dominoes."
So my radio was re-stolen by the cops.

Anyway, to answer your question, I installed a switch that disconnected the neutral safety switch on the transmission. Since the car thought it was in gear, the starter wouldn't engage. I don't know what our jeeps have for a sensor, but it was simple, and could be mounted in the console with minimal wiring as it was only inches away.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I think a Killswitch is a great idea. You do not need a key fob to steal these jeeps with the existence of relay devices. A tow truck theft is pretty extreme. I know they happen I'm just not sure how common they are.

since a Killswitch can be installed in multiple locations along different points of the electrical circuit it makes it prohibitively time consuming for a thief to find and deal with it. They likely do not have the necessary tools to deal with it if they were expecting to employ a simple relay attack.

I totally agree with not making it easy for thieves.
I installed razor blades on my speaker box handles back in college... JB welded them right in.
They inevitably broke into my car, I never got my stuff back but did feel a sense of satisfaction when I saw a shit ton of blood on my trunk carpet and floor behind my car.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm

I can say with certainty that the fob doesn’t physically have to be in the cab for the vehicle to be drivable. Yesterday afternoon my 15 year old wanted to pull my JT onto our cabin property (she just passed her learners test) so I got out and opened the gate. I was physically yards away from the vehicle and she drove it right in. When she went to grab the keys, they weren’t there- they were in my pocket the entire time. May have only been 20-30 feet away, but it still drove without the fob inside. You are correct, though. People wanting a vehicle to sell, chop or ship OUS will just use a tow truck. In and out in no time.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I can say with certainty that the fob doesn’t physically have to be in the cab for the vehicle to be drivable. Yesterday afternoon my 15 year old wanted to pull my JT onto our cabin property (she just passed her learners test) so I got out and opened the gate. I was physically yards away from the vehicle and she drove it right in. When she went to grab the keys, they weren’t there- they were in my pocket the entire time. May have only been 20-30 feet away, but it still drove without the fob inside. You are correct, though. People wanting a vehicle to sell, chop or ship OUS will just use a tow truck. In and out in no time.
The FOB needs to be there to initially get it into a driveable state. Once it is running, the FOB does not need to be in the cab to drive it. This can pose a real problem for multiple drivers on road trips if one is packing the FOB in their pocket.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The FOB needs to be there to initially get it into a driveable state. Once it is running, the FOB does not need to be in the cab to drive it. This can pose a real problem for multiple drivers on road trips if one is packing the FOB in their pocket.
And that's your point. IF the owner starts it with the FOB on their person, then leaves - that's one thing. But a remote start won't leave it driveable without the FOB.
Also if you leave the vehicle with it running and the FOB is on your person, the thing screams "FOB has left vehicle" - I've not tried but I bet it can't be driven away.
Difference in the MODE it's in. Remote start -can't drive it away.
Start with FOB in the vehicle, that's a different mode.

But here we go again - there was a 2,563 page thread on this exact same topic a few months ago......
The sad thing about news stories, and police comments, is that police are not experts on things beyond policing and law. They don't know these systems. They know what experts tell them.
News - please, don't even go there and make me laugh for the rest of the weekend just thinking about those idiots that write articles, even some of those in what today are called "automotive blogs". Anyone with a desire to make money and get attention writes those often with little real knowledge or experience. I've lost ALL respect for automotive magazines and especially many of those online today. It's the internet - have a computer? Want to make money? Start acting like an expert in something. Too many will believe you.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
If you start the vehicle with your key fob and the key fob is not in the car you can drive away with it.....My jeep didn't say a damn thing to me about the fob not being nearby.

relay attacks work by mimicking a fob but I don't believe they function as a fob once the car is started.....My stepdaughter built one for her computer engineering class. She's specializing in cyber security. I'll have to ask her for some details. She built it using a raspberry pi and we tested it out in our own cars. Worked like a charm

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
If you start the vehicle with your key fob and the key fob is not in the car you can drive away with it.....My jeep didn't say a damn thing to me about the fob not being nearby.

relay attacks work by mimicking a fob but I don't believe they function as a fob once the car is started.....My stepdaughter built one for her computer engineering class. She's specializing in cyber security. I'll have to ask her for some details. She built it using a raspberry pi and we tested it out in our own cars. Worked like a charm
Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Thanks!

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

My son is into that stuff - programming the Raspberry Pi etc. - and teaching his son, now 7, to program with it. For now - games, but I know my grandson and his fascination with tools and cars - it won't stop there. Look for him in a neighborhood near you in a few years LOL

Odd your vehicle didn't warn you about FOB not present. All of our Jeeps have - for years. Time to do more testing I guess. But it DOES say "fob has left the vehicle". I think we figured in the other bazillion page and 100 bazillion post on Jeep security that you could drive it away - but once off that would be that. So the bad guy would have to make sure they never shut it off on the way to their shop.

To the original topic - it wouldn't be hard to rig something to kill the vehicle or prevent starting. Heck, these are so picky if things aren't perfect, they ain't gonna go anywhere. How about triggering the auto-park on the automatics? Simple - tell it the door is open and the seat belt not on. Or a way to tell it there's no fuel pressure, whatever. A look at the basics should yield at least a dozen ways to fool the system into not starting.
Sponsored