Sponsored

Anyone with over 100k miles on their 3.6 yet ?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 3.6 JL Wrangler. Its got 108k miles on it. The lifters and/or rockers are going out. I get one code for one of them. Its extremely noisy, and I getting metal shavings at the drain bolt. Its going in to shop soon.
It may be too late for that engine if it's gone that far.
Imagine all that going through that oil pump, scoring it, wearing it...........
Sponsored

moto jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 3.6L
Yup, im worried about that too. I did change the oil 3 times within 4000 miles to try and help. But to add salt in the wound the ticking and codes became significantly louder and appeared while on a trip from Seattle to California pulling a motorcycle trailer (less than 2500lbs total). This is a 700 mile trip each way.....and we are still in California as Im writting this. I still gotta drive home. Ive thought about taking it to the nearest Jeep dealer......but I hate doing that. At home I have a buddy whos fully equiped with tools and we can repair this ourselves........just gotta get it back in one piece. Im gonna change the oil again before heading back north. wish me luck!!

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ill never understand the irrational disdain for the auto stop start.
never a problem for me just turn it off when you get in. Just like you remember to use a seatbelt or put the transmission in drive. NO BIG FREAKIN DEAL

Da'Geezer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 06 Liberty, 04 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
2020 JT SPORT, 109K and some change. No problems until about a month ago.

Sponsored

Da'Geezer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Misfire #4, coolant loss, rough idol.
Took to the dealer, and of course got the generic, we'll fix it.
They changed the plugs, which it needed anyway, the said the seal around the plug well was worn so they changed all the seals and the seal on the valve cover.
It ran great for about 15 miles and then the CEL came back on, misfire #4 again, it started all over.
I reminded them about the coolant loss and once again I got the polite generic " you're not a tech, let us do our jobs."
I know how techs and service advisers can be when you tell them something that is anywhere near that sounds like trying to tell them how to do their job, so I was trying to be as politically correctable as possible.
I'm retired military and retired cop, so I really don't have the gumption or the equpiment to dig into it like I did on my first CJ, Wrangler and '57 Nomad that we would judge the work by how many beers it was gonna take to get the job done.
Sorry to get off topic, will start another thread on the issues I have, searching for some TSB's so I have some ammo next week when I take it back.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
With normal use and oil changes every 5-7K how long should these motors last. Mine is a 2020 with 25K miles and runs perfect.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
With normal use and oil changes every 5-7K how long should these motors last. Mine is a 2020 with 25K miles and runs perfect.
I'd expect 100,000+ miles. Owners have a lot to do with "how long" but if the owner is reasonable, follows "the book" or does even better, I'd expect well over 100,000 miles.

I reminded them about the coolant loss and once again I got the polite generic " you're not a tech, let us do our jobs."
And to that I get the pleasure of countering with - "oh, you must not know me or must be new here - I was a tech and still have all of my tools and then some. Please don't be condescending as I was one of the best in my time. I was offered the service manager position for Iowa's largest Jeep dealership back in the 1980s. So yeah, I guess I sort of am. Coolant loss over a few ounces a year is not normal in any semi-closed system. So, where do we go from here?"
I get this "go ahead, make my day" feeling sometimes. Yeah, I can be a jerk.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They changed the plugs, which it needed anyway, the said the seal around the plug well was worn so they changed all the seals and the seal on the valve cover.
Do they know about the TSB for valve cover gaskets? There was a change because they were finding that the valve cover gaskets ended up leaking again after being changed (which can lead to oil on the O2 sensor in some cases, causing misfires, etc.) The fix was a new valve cover and gasket - different part numbers.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover 2020 model JT or JL Jeeps, just 21-22 model years.
So for those wondering about first year blah blah - here's yet another example of issues that come in subsequent model years that didn't seem to exist in prior model years.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Haven't even gotten to 35K on my 2020

Sponsored

Da'Geezer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
And to that I get the pleasure of countering with - "oh, you must not know me or must be new here - I was a tech and still have all of my tools and then some. Please don't be condescending as I was one of the best in my time. I was offered the service manager position for Iowa's largest Jeep dealership back in the 1980s. So yeah, I guess I sort of am. Coolant loss over a few ounces a year is not normal in any semi-closed system. So, where do we go from here?"
I get this "go ahead, make my day" feeling sometimes. Yeah, I can be a jerk.
Oh Boy! I like that. The first time I went into the dealership and talked to the service advisers, they were OK, when they asked what the problem was and I said I'm preparing for the worst hoping for the best but I think it's a cracked head or the head gasket is gone. That's when they got cocky and started the you're not a tech.
No, I don't claim to be but this is my 6th Jeep and through the years and experiences I've had with other motors, that's my guess. Prove me wrong please.

Do they know about the TSB for valve cover gaskets?
I would hope they do but I'll ask anyway just because I like the look I get from the service adviser when I ask technical questions like that.

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a first gen. 3.6 in a 2012 Charger and it is around 275k. It developed a worn lifter knock but I haven't replaced that yet. To do it right I would replace cam and lifters. Or let it fail and do a long block.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To do it right I would replace cam and lifters.
Always replace cam and followers on OHC engines, and always replace cam and lifters on conventional in-the-block cam engines.

In your case - could be the lash adjuster (what people still call lifters even though they lift nothing) but if it's rattling due to lash, then there's likely wear from the follower smacking the cam.

I'm the sort - "I wonder how long I can make this baby last".

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I just rolled 40k miles. I have oil seeping around my valve covers, which is the second time in 20k miles.

My engine also has a clicking sound but I'm not sure if it's something I should be concerned with. You can also see some of the oil seeping on the valve cover in the video.
Sponsored