Sponsored

Apparently Gladiator competition is coming.... Ford Bronco Pickup

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
So is the bronco going to be a standard cab F150 or a standard cab Ranger?

Why is this appealing again?

Removable rear shell?

I already have a removable roof.

Also its a Ford so ill pass. Nothing against Ford, they just do nothing for me.
Its based on the new Ranger platform so it will be similar size to a Wrangler.

Whats appealing is 325 hp @ 5,000 rpm & 400 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm as the 2.7L Ecoboost is suppose to be offered.
Sponsored

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
Its based on the new Ranger platform so it will be similar size to a Wrangler.

Whats appealing is 325 hp @ 5,000 rpm & 400 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm as the 2.7L Ecoboost is suppose to be offered.
It just seems like a limited market.

Sure the 2.7 is a good engine, not sure 325HP really moves the needle.

What do I know I am happy with a pentastar.

I have cars for going fast.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
It just seems like a limited market.

Sure the 2.7 is a good engine, not sure 325HP really moves the needle.

What do I know I am happy with a pentastar.

I have cars for going fast.
You probably live somewhere where its flat. the pentastar with mods and driving through the mountains is a hassle. I have been doing it for 6 years and just can't deal with it any more. Also the pentastar just performs worst and worst the more weight you add to the vehicle. Lift+35s/37s+aftermarket steel bumpers+rack +rtt and its a turd that can't get out of its own way.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I disagree as someone who has lurked on here and the JL forums during their development and now on the Bronco forums if the rumors are true like they were on here the Bronco will come at the Wrangler in full force with better engine options. I'll take the ecoboost over the lame V6 any day. Also the Bronco is suppose to have solid axles, 2 & 4 door options, removable panels from the roof for open air feel (which I would prefer vs taking off a a bulky hard top), auto and manual options, watts link rear suspension set up (no leafs) and a lot of the traction control systems from the Raptor. The only thing I haven't seen is anything about the doors being removable which for me I don't care as I have never taken the doors off my JKU.

I LOVE my Wrangler, and its the car I have owned the longest, however two main things keep me from buying the JT, 1) lack of power and 2) handling on road and those are both areas I can see Ford doing a better job.
I don't find the power lacking and the JT drives waaaaaay better than my JK.

I despise engines that include major components that are consumables. For that reason I have little interest in the EB engines. The Coyote engines have had massive problems the last few years, the 6.7l Scorpion that had all the Bosch CP4 problems all are not confidence builders. If Ford brought it to market it would take a decade before it had a fraction of the aftermarket support of the Jeep.

But you are welcome to your opinion and I respect it.

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
You probably live somewhere where its flat. the pentastar with mods and driving through the mountains is a hassle. I have been doing it for 6 years and just can't deal with it any more. Also the pentastar just performs worst and worst the more weight you add to the vehicle. Lift+35s/37s+aftermarket steel bumpers+rack +rtt and its a turd that can't get out of its own way.
OK, that is totally understandable.
If i lived in your area turbos would be desirable.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
the pentastar just performs worst and worst the more weight you add to the vehicle. Lift+35s/37s+aftermarket steel bumpers+rack +rtt and its a turd that can't get out of its own way.
Agreed. All Jeep enthusiasts should pray that the new Bronco is as awesome as possible = this will put pressure on Jeep to FINALLY put some Power under the hood of Wranglers/JT's. Until they have real competition, we will still get 'ho-hum'. Why do you think Toyota has been sitting on it's laurels for so long w/ the Tacoma? Same deal = no reason to bother changing anything.
You want a straight-6 turbo? Better hope the Bronco becomes a reality.
The Only reason the new diesel is improved is because of the pressure from Ford & Chebby w/ their new 3.0's. I just hope it actually lands in some Jeeps within the next year LOL

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
I disagree as someone who has lurked on here and the JL forums during their development and now on the Bronco forums if the rumors are true like they were on here the Bronco will come at the Wrangler in full force with better engine options. I'll take the ecoboost over the lame V6 any day. Also the Bronco is suppose to have solid axles, 2 & 4 door options, removable panels from the roof for open air feel (which I would prefer vs taking off a a bulky hard top), auto and manual options, watts link rear suspension set up (no leafs) and a lot of the traction control systems from the Raptor. The only thing I haven't seen is anything about the doors being removable which for me I don't care as I have never taken the doors off my JKU.

I LOVE my Wrangler, and its the car I have owned the longest, however two main things keep me from buying the JT, 1) lack of power and 2) handling on road and those are both areas I can see Ford doing a better job.
The best crawler I ever had was my 59 Willys. It had a flathead 4 Hurricane engine, all of 72 hp. It was geared low though, and shift into 4 lo it would crawl anywhere at 5mph. Could not stop it.

Put 5.13s or 4.88s in your rig and you will have all the power you want. Engine is fine; the gearing to meet CAFE standards is lacking. I have 4.88s on my JK and the thing has all the power I could ask for,

Handling will be a wash. As long as you have solid axles your handling will be less than a vehicle with independent suspension on a road, but better offroad, If Bronco has solid axles it won't fare any better.

OP
OP

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon; 2015 Ram Laramie
As an owner of 2015 Ram Laramie - factory ordered with the 3.6 pentastar with the 3.55 gears - I have to disagree. My truck is nearing 5 years of age and I drive a lot- it has 106,000 miles on it and it drives and runs like the day I drove it home from the dealer.

My truck - is about 5,000 lbs, and the pentastar will take it from 0-60 in a little over 7 seconds - I do think it is helped by the dual exhaust I had put on before taking delivery - it has a Flowmaster exhaust system and it sounds great and "exhales" freely. I get 20 MPG and it has plenty of power and get up, I have had some pretty good loads on her through the years and have never noticed any lack of power - as a matter of fact my max. payload number is better than if I had a Hemi. I n terms of towing I don't tow a lot so I really can't speak to that. But I love the pentastar motor - it has been solid, reliable and I think much better than the 2.7 liter Ford "eco-boost". I have heard Ford owners having a frequency of "blown" motors - not good...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
As an owner of 2015 Ram Laramie - factory ordered with the 3.6 pentastar with the 3.55 gears - I have to disagree. My truck is nearing 5 years of age and I drive a lot- it has 106,000 miles on it and it drives and runs like the day I drove it home from the dealer.

My truck - is about 5,000 lbs, and the pentastar will take it from 0-60 in a little over 7 seconds - I do think it is helped by the dual exhaust I had put on before taking delivery - it has a Flowmaster exhaust system and it sounds great and "exhales" freely. I get 20 MPG and it has plenty of power and get up, I have had some pretty good loads on her through the years and have never noticed any lack of power - as a matter of fact my max. payload number is better than if I had a Hemi. I n terms of towing I don't tow a lot so I really can't speak to that. But I love the pentastar motor - it has been solid, reliable and I think much better than the 2.7 liter Ford "eco-boost". I have heard Ford owners having a frequency of "blown" motors - not good...
You probably also don't have 35x12.5" tires on it. My Wrangler averages 13 MPG. I have 35s, steel bumper front and rear, winch, 2.5" lift, and a few other mods. Its neither good on gas milage or getting out of its own way. Around town it fine, its HWY miles or mountain driving its terrible. Also your Ram is a LOT more aero dynamic. The Wrangler is brick being forced through the air.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You probably also don't have 35x12.5" tires on it. My Wrangler averages 13 MPG. I have 35s, steel bumper front and rear, winch, 2.5" lift, and a few other mods. Its neither good on gas milage or getting out of its own way. Around town it fine, its HWY miles or mountain driving its terrible. Also your Ram is a LOT more aero dynamic. The Wrangler is brick being forced through the air.

What is the rear end gear?

Nobody is going to argue that a Jeep is aerodynamic, but then if Ford makes the "Vapor Bronco" look like the concept vehicles it isn't going to be aerodynamic either.

Sponsored

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
How long were we promised a jeep truck...….?????????? Well, when the rumor is over and it is delivered we can compare it.

Until it is a reality, I JUST DON"T CARE!

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Either something is wrong with your jeep or you're doing something wrong - or you're not factoring in that the new jl and jt are vastly improved over the jk. I get 13mpg in mine... when I'm loaded with the family for camping and towing my 5000lb airstream. Otherwise it's way higher. I'm running 33s, steel bumpers and a winch, and I average 19-20mpg in my jtr. Worst I've done is 12mpg towing my airstream through the Shenandoahs with 600-700lbs worth of passengers and equipment in the truck.

RockHopper

First Name
Silverrubicon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Gearing makes a big difference performance wise. Since re-gearing our 2012 JKU to 5.13s it performs remarkably better in the mountains, dunes etc.

TheRealGinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave

This. I have a manual on my JL and travel everyday with over 1200 feet elevation change. Around town isn't so bad (definitely feel the 35s though) but highway and any sort of hills you have to drive it like a ricer screaming in 4th at 70 or in 3rd if you want to actually accelerate. My biggest criticism with the motor is the lack of torque...does not match the Jeep at all. I hear that the 8 speed does better but you still have to rev the piss out of it. I am considering a diesel Gladiator for this very reason despite not having a manual transmission.

Cheers.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I've been a Ford guy for years and have owned 4 Mustang GT's, an F150, Explorer, and a 96 Bronco which I loved. Was really looking forward to the release of the new Bronco and a Truck version would be great. I probably would've been interested in the Bronco and definitely would've been down for the Truck version.

But even the std Bronco version hasn't hit the market yet (sometime early 2021 is all I heard and that was originally supposed to be 2019 after a decade of rumors), let alone the truck version. I got tired of waiting and the Gladiator was beautiful, capable, and available. Deal done.
Sponsored