Sponsored

Apple CarPlay issue fixed with most recent iOS 15.2.1?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Apple issued patches for all that within iOS14. You can be fully patched and still on iOS12 actually.

I was more concerned with the vulnerabilities introduced with their CSAM plan in iOS15. Fortunately that hasn't rolled out yet.
Respectfully, that is one of the silliest things I’ve heard in recent memory and would consider that to be a bad model to follow. Sadly “fully patched” will no longer be a thing in the world we live in.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Respectfully, that is one of the silliest things I’ve heard in recent memory and would consider that to be a bad model to follow. Sadly “fully patched” will no longer be a thing in the world we live in.
Huh??

You make no sense. Apple continues to provide security updates to old versions of iOS going back to iOS12. Their primary reason for this is to support older hardware that no longer supports the latest version of iOS. But it also means that you don't need to update to stay safe.

They get the same security fixes that the current version gets. Hence the term "fully patched". Sorry, I've worked in IT for 30 years. Its a term.

So what's silly? Seriously. You aren't making any sense.

There is absolutely ZERO security justification for upgrading to iOS15 as long as they continue to release security updates for iOS 14.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Huh??

You make no sense. Apple continues to provide security updates to old versions of iOS going back to iOS12. Their primary reason for this is to support older hardware that no longer supports the latest version of iOS. But it also means that you don't need to update to stay safe.

They get the same security fixes that the current version gets. Hence the term "fully patched". Sorry, I've worked in IT for 30 years. Its a term.

So what's silly? Seriously. You aren't making any sense.

There is absolutely ZERO security justification for upgrading to iOS15 as long as they continue to release security updates for iOS 14.
Source:
https://m.republicworld.com/technol...-ios-14-and-ipados-14-report-articleshow.html

Not sure where you’ve worked in IT for 30 years, just hope it’s not in security.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you enlighten me how you obtain security patches for a device and OS Apple no longer supports?

Source:
https://m.republicworld.com/technol...-ios-14-and-ipados-14-report-articleshow.html

Not sure where you’ve worked in IT for 30 years, just hope it’s not in security. I wasn’t trying to get personal, but I guess 30 years at a job doesn’t equal experience now does it. Not sure wtf working in IT would flaunt keeping their device versions behind.
You are obviously correct.

But in my defense, this is a significant break from what apple has done for years. Also, this news is roughly 4 days old. So thank you.

Apple has typically supported older OSs for years after a new version launches. This is a significant shift.

In fact, this is so new that Apple has not updated their iOS 15 features list, which still states:

You can update to the latest version of iOS 15 as soon as it’s released for the latest features and most complete set of security updates. Or continue on iOS 14 and still get important security updates.ddd

So yes, you are correct. And I thank you for this.

But again, there is nothing silly about expecting Apple to do what it has said it will do. Especially when the news of it not keeping its word is less than one week old.

For what its worth, I got a security update for iOS 12 (!!) in Sept 2021 on an iPhone 5 that I use as a back up when I go winter hiking alone. That's over 3 years after iOS 13 was released. Its a 3G phone so its now a paperweight with 3G shutting down over the next few months. But it demonstrates that historically Apple has supported older OSs for years.

Sponsored

Rick_Jame55

First Name
Rickel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
QA Inspector
After downloading the most recent iOS 15.2.1, I’m not experiencing the CarPlay issue with the center console jack. Curious if others have found the same thing?
After downloading the most recent iOS 15.2.1, I’m not experiencing the CarPlay issue with the center console jack. Curious if others have found the same thing?
I updated the iOS last week. Still having disconnect issues. If anything it got worse. I even bought a new cable it got so bad. How ever the front USB works fine. No disconnects at all.

Splooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Still having issues with the Center console freezing. The dash has worked fine.

Sponsored

Von1992

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
If anyone is having issues with the center console CarPlay with an iPhone 12 or newer, you will need to use the oem lightning to usb c with an adapter to usb a. There was another thread on here and that solution worked for my iPhone 12.

This is the usb c female to usb a male adapter I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMTJL1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RN9KREMENM686C1TXX1R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I previously CarPlay would disconnect within minutes and would sometimes work for 10 minutes but then cut out. Calls wouldn’t last more than 10 seconds.

Hope this helps!

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
If anyone is having issues with the center console CarPlay with an iPhone 12 or newer, you will need to use the oem lightning to usb c with an adapter to usb a. There was another thread on here and that solution worked for my iPhone 12.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMTJL1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RN9KREMENM686C1TXX1R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I previously CarPlay would disconnect within minutes and would sometimes work for 10 minutes but then cut out. Calls wouldn’t last more than 10 seconds.

Hope this helps!
Would never have thought to try this. Seems counter intuitive. May try it though. Just upgraded to 15.4 something so I’ll give that a try first.

Von1992

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Would never have thought to try this. Seems counter intuitive. May try it though. Just upgraded to 15.4 something so I’ll give that a try first.
I thought the exact same thing as well, but for whatever reason the usb c cable allows CarPlay to work without issues.

Been trying to find a solution to this for over a year and finally stumbled upon a post with this workaround.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link

Hope this helps!
I'll try it. I might need some of these adapters anyways.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
I thought the exact same thing as well, but for whatever reason the usb c cable allows CarPlay to work without issues.

Been trying to find a solution to this for over a year and finally stumbled upon a post with this workaround.
latest update didn’t fix anything so I’ll give it a try. Didn’t make it 3 minutes before a freeze.
Sponsored