Sponsored

Are you all super rich or is there a method I don’t get?!

Jeepforfun

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work, It's a 4 letter word...AKA Electrical Sales
It is a gut wrenching decision to go bigger or not to. I learned many Jeeps, and years ago, that many trails can be enjoyed with out going up the "BIG BOYS". I've heard many of experienced 4 wheeler comment that they wished they had stopped at 33's or 35's and that they had a lot more fun for a lot less money and damage ( both to the rig and checkbook). Bigger tires means bigger repair costs. If you can't afford the initial install you can't afford the repairs and damage that comes with that sort of investment.
I knew a guy one time that mortgaged his family farm that they had owned for over 100 years to to build the "ultimate Rig" with big block V8 and 44's. It's not worth that too me. Insurance will cover a lot but not that sort of expenditure when it's torn up, and you won't get that moneyback on trade in or resale either. Remember real Jeeps are built not bought, and for us old timers that means built in stages over longer time spans. Take your time before jumping in neck deep into debt for something that you may be paying on for years to come long after the fad of those 40's has worn off.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
my theory is ...If it ain't broke, break it and then fix it. Full send, save some cash and see how it goes. Seriously, 37's are pretty good for most stuff.
Jeep Gladiator Are you all super rich or is there a method I don’t get?! IMG_6022
Good luck!
#JTRSPARTACUS

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My wheeling group and I were talking the other day about how much fun we had on 35's. it really is a good all around trail and street size. Of course I instantly bolted 37's on my JT and my buggy is on 40" stickies.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
If you’ve got money to burn, go with 40’s. If you don’t, don't.

Who goes with 40’s?

-Some people have more money than they know what to do with.

-Some people are mechanically inclined, good at finding a deal on parts, and make it work.

-Some people are just in you only live once (YOLO) mode and paying for it via plastic, 401k loan, etc.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What type of wheeling are you looking to do to "need" tons?
Reason I ask is bc I'm running 39" bfg km3 (smaller than actual 39) with 513s on my JTR. The shop that did my 513s, hardcore jeep guys that build rock bouncers and everything else, and I have gotten to be friends with. I asked about chromoly's, gussets, etc., and was told by the owner, I'll put them on and charge you for it, but you wont need it with moderate wheeling.
He said you have a winch, and swallowing some pride and using your winch is a helluva lot cheaper than all of that, and/or installing tons. Just some food for thought.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
the 6k dollar mountain bike i want agrees with 'ive got other expensive hobbies'
$6k is on the lower end nowadays. It’s hard to justify spending that kind of cash on a a bicycle when my KTM 690 Enduro cost just a little more and will do 100mph.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
No just smart. My wife would shoot me for that!

Sponsored

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
$6k is on the lower end nowadays. It’s hard to justify spending that kind of cash on a a bicycle when my KTM 690 Enduro cost just a little more and will do 100mph.
I completely agree and apply this to the entire cycling industry. Ridiculous costs.

I am in the same boat as others on the general topic. 40’s are for the gram and not much more when you consider the wheeling most of us do. 37’s are the ceiling for me as there is very little gain for the cost past that point.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I completely agree and apply this to the entire cycling industry. Ridiculous costs.

I am in the same boat as others on the general topic. 40’s are for the gram and not much more when you consider the wheeling most of us do. 37’s are the ceiling for me as there is very little gain for the cost past that point.
My wife is in the cycling industry. Anything you buy is marked up 50% minimum. That 6k bike should only cost 3k in reality. Even then they are making money 💰💰💰💰

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Just go on Pirate4x4 and pursue the classifieds for a Jeep on tons or the parts section. And then chop them out add new brackets and part the rest.

But for me anything besides unmaintained roads or the beach I would rather buy something I could tow with the JT. I’m tired of wheeling a DD and one of these on 40s is only as capable as something with a shorter wheelbase on 35s (for New England trails) in my experience. I would love to go with a 22re crawler on yota axles with ORIs or a YJ. Something I can roll over but back on the trailer and not care.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
My wife is in the cycling industry. Anything you buy is marked up 50% minimum. That 6k bike should only cost 3k in reality. Even then they are making money 💰💰💰💰
I worked a summer doing internet sales for a bike shop. It was eye opening for sure what the original cost of goods was for the shop on new sales. Service on the other hand 😂

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Traded my 2018 CTD Big Horn for a 22 Gladiator max tow when we were able to trade out POS 5th wheel for a 24' travel trailer. I thought I would be able to build the gladiator a little at a time to pull the trailer and do some medium wheeling. Since I'm retired and have limited funds and have a 05 TJR, I decided that my wife and I deserved a more all around comfortable truck for traveling and daily driving for myself, with being retired is once a week or so. So I traded the gladiator for a 21 Big Horn with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears. I realized it would take a lot of plastic, witch would be stupid on my end, to try and do both with the gladiator. I guess it's mostly a money thing in the end.
Sponsored