First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I never had apply play until my JTR. Now that I have used it, I can’t own a car without it.
Sponsored

area5179

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I ordered a Sport S as it was the first trim level to have SAT/NAV available. I simply need 4WD for weather concerns and maybe driving on the beach for surf fishing. In my case a Rubicon or Mojave would simply be overkill as I'd never use the thing as intended.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
To me, I'm not sure what you're buying since you still have the computer and all of the things that are computer assisted, which is pretty much everything. So, why go without all of the options, just to have a truck that still could have a computer flake-out? I love the options I got on my Sport-S and i couldn't imagine not having them.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
To me, I'm not sure what you're buying since you still have the computer and all of the things that are computer assisted, which is pretty much everything. So, why go without all of the options, just to have a truck that still could have a computer flake-out? I love the options I got on my Sport-S and i couldn't imagine not having them.
I've mentioned this before - but the basic Sport only creates the illusion of simplicity. When a JT loses it's mind over an electronic problem, it aint the power windows at fault....

Now, if the Sport was somehow dumber and more robust against gremlins, sign me up. But since it isn't - I'll take my power options.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I've mentioned this before - but the basic Sport only creates the illusion of simplicity. When a JT loses it's mind over an electronic problem, it aint the power windows at fault....

Now, if the Sport was somehow dumber and more robust against gremlins, sign me up. But since it isn't - I'll take my power options.
Some trims have more computer modules than a sport. A sport does not have to be constantly using power to monitor for the presence of a key fob. Both my JL and JT sports can sit for over a month and have enough battery power to start.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Some trims have more computer modules than a sport. A sport does not have to be constantly using power to monitor for the presence of a key fob. Both my JL and JT sports can sit for over a month and have enough battery power to start.
Good lord I haven't bought a new car in a while .... Batteries working after a month is a point of pride? Ouch. And I see your point, but a lot of the gremlins I've seen here are odd grounding and/or wiring harness issues.

For context, I've let the Dodge sit for 3 months at a time between cranks before. I know that's a bit extreme, but 30 days as a limit is rough.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Good lord I haven't bought a new car in a while .... Batteries working after a month is a point of pride? Ouch. And I see your point, but a lot of the gremlins I've seen here are odd grounding and/or wiring harness issues.

For context, I've let the Dodge sit for 3 months at a time between cranks before. I know that's a bit extreme, but 30 days as a limit is rough.
Oh some modern cars are worse than that! My wife got stranded in her previous Alfa Romeo a few months back when the electrics went nuts and shut down. Had it towed to the dealer, turns out it was a dead battery.... while being daily driven.... with a completely "working" electrical system....

Dealer charged the battery and sent her on her way. Explanation was simply the automatic start/stop kills the (single small) battery if you "don't do xxxx highway miles a week", and is too dumb to turn itself off. I always turned it off because it was annoying, but she never thought about it, and does almost exclusive local driving and errands. They literally blamed her driving habit/needs. Needless to say, we sold it the following week.

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
I have a Sport and love it, don't have to plug door wiring back in if I don't want a dome light or radio to play for 30 seconds when I remove doors, no actuators to replace in 4-5 years. It is a soft top so don't lock it anyway, don't leave anything in it. Key fob never comes out of my pocket.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
I have a Sport and love it, don't have to plug door wiring back in if I don't want a dome light or radio to play for 30 seconds when I remove doors, no actuators to replace in 4-5 years. It is a soft top so don't lock it anyway, don't leave anything in it. Key fob never comes out of my pocket.
This is pretty much us too with our sport. Park in garage at night without doors, and have the soft top so not really much security even with doors lol.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a basic sport with hard top and bedliner only, car got placed on hold with transmission recall then covid. My dealer got an allocation of Overlands from Jeep and got a mid level loaded version for cheaper than the sport. So i took that route. the Sport sold in 2 days once delivered.

Bruce

Sponsored

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting point. How many leave the key in the truck all the time? I cant remember the last time i took it out. Just put it in center console box and forget about it

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If I did that around here my truck would be in Mexico by morning.

I love the idea of the Sport and if this was offered in an extended cab or single cab setup, I'd absolutely have gone that route... it just makes no sense to me when I need regular access to the back seat to not have power locks.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT

Many worry about going 2 weeks. I haven't tested mine to see how long it will last, but have gone up to 30 days. There's definitely more key off electronics drawing power these days than in 2000. The battery in my 2000 TJ would also go more than 3 months between starts.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Many worry about going 2 weeks. I haven't tested mine to see how long it will last, but have gone up to 30 days. There's definitely more key off electronics drawing power these days than in 2000. The battery in my 2000 TJ would also go more than 3 months between starts.
Yeah I mean I guess it makes sense. Makes me want a hidden kill switch even more.

COASTAL CAJUN

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Gladiator 1981 Scrambler
Occupation
Marine Construction
I bought the Sport base model.
2 great options on it. Auxiliary pack and tow package (unfortunately not max tow) . With those I got the larger alternator and radiator. 41,500 0ut the door with a 100,000 mile extended warranty. We love it! I didn't need all the extras.. Flatlander/beachbum.
Sponsored