Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't seen a lot of information on Asfir Jeep products, especially for the Gladiator, so hopefully this helps anyone else doing research.

I just installed the 1/4" aluminum engine and transmission skid plate by @asfir_offroad. Purchased off their site at (PN: 541155). Seems like a pretty new product, with more info from the JL folks.

Even on the Rubicon, the new JL/JT leaves the engine and tranny oil pans exposed. I wanted a modular option to keep the Rubicon plates, but there aren't a lot of options for the Gladiator because the motor mounts are different from the JL Wrangler. I'm really only aware of the Rubicon Express plates for the Gladiator, but that requires two plates to cover this space and the engine oil pan plate doesn't mount at the front which worries me a bit.

Thought I'd gamble a bit and try this skid plate is a single 1/4" thick sheet of aluminum (plus brackets) that mounts at the engine mounts up front, the cross member, and then again where the transfer case skid plate mounts to the 2nd crossmember using the two factory bolts in the rear.

It is an incredible value for one solid piece to cover that vulnerable area. It arrived from their factory in Israel in 11 days, and it's a very easy install with basic tools:

• 18mm socket (reuse factory skid bolts) @66ft-lbs (90Nm)
  • 13mm wrench and socket @18ft-lbs (25Nm)
  • 17mm socket with 6" extension for new nuts on engine mount bolts @36ft-lbs (50Nm)
  • Thread locker
  • Torque wrench

Could probably have completed the install in 30min on a lift.

I haven't taken it out on the trails yet, so if anything comes up, I'll come back and post a follow up. Hope this helps anyone else doing research, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Photos!

Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200814_165334-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200814_165141-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200816_080512-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200816_065522-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200816_065544-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200816_080231-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200816_080212-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200816_080359-01
Jeep Gladiator Asfir 4x4 Engine and Transmission skid plate 20200816_080022-01
Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
Hi thanks for posting I am very interested in this and other similar products, but I have some questions....

You mention a Rubicon is that the vehicle / trim did you put this on?

Do you have a lift on your vehicle? I ask because I saw online the Artec brand underbody protection recommends a 1.5" lift and the gas tank needs to be dropped, I dont have a lift on my Rubicon and don't want one.

After your install do you see any reason it would NOT work on a stock height vehicle?

Was there any major / minor modifications needed to install or was it a direct bolt on?

I know you said this was from out of the country... could you please tell us how much it cost to get to your door, and maybe a link to the page where you ordered it. Im usually a "Made in the USA" guy, but still looking at all the options.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slacks

Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, great questions. I'll answer them inline in orange below:

You mention a Rubicon is that the vehicle / trim did you put this on? Do you have a lift on your vehicle?
I have a Rubicon on factory suspension, wheels and Falken M/T tires, no lift.

I saw online the Artec brand underbody protection recommends a 1.5" lift and the gas tank needs to be dropped? I dont have a lift on my Rubicon and don't want one. After your install do you see any reason it would NOT work on a stock height vehicle?
I can't be 100% sure, but from what I've read, the clearance issues typically involve the driveshaft coming in contact with the motor mount bracket on deep dips, but primarily on the Wrangler. A lift would prevent that.

On the Gladiator, because of the different motor mounts, the bracket comes up the side of the driveshaft and attaches above it, but doesn't come all the way over like on the Wrangler. (You can see this in photo #5). I saw this in the CAD drawings, and was comfortable enough with the risk. I'm not overly concerned, but I will flex it out and get on the trails as soon as I can and test it out. Hm... maybe I'll attach an action cam on the underside to monitor the action.

This is just the engine and transmission oil pan skid plate, not the whole underbody like the Artec kit, so there's no need to drop or take anything off. Since the Artec and other full underbody kits require removing cross members and factory skid plates, strapping up the gas tank makes sense.

Is there any area below that you feel could still use additional shielding? Do they sell additional protective pieces to cover other areas? Im not talking diffs or bumpers but I'm talking about between the wheels underneath. I just rolled 1000 miles and really haven't been underneath yet to see what is needed.
Unlike most folks, I'm trying to only update parts I need as I need them. So with the skids, after each trail I'd look to see what scraped most, and by far the most scraped was my rear diff then the front diff drain plug area, so those were first.

The factory Rubicon skids and cross members are taking a beating, too, but are holding up great. The exhaust pipe between the oil pans was getting some scrapes, and I've busted an oil pan on previous cars before, so a big gaping space under the oil pans with lines running through seemed like an oversight, hence this plate.

I'm feeling really good right now with this setup for my usage, and probably won't add more skids for a few more trips. Next on the list might be under the control arm mounts. I haven't scraped them too badly yet, but if they get bent, it could complicate upgrades later. The FAD might be next after that, but that factory skid hasn't been touched yet. The exhaust isn't covered, so that might be a good choice, too, but it doesn't worry me.

Was there any major / minor modifications needed to install or was it a direct bolt on?
Direct bolt-on, no drilling, no dropping, no removal of any parts or existing plates. You even reuse the two rear-most factory bolts.

I see you say it was a very easy install, is it possible to be done with only one person and how long would you guess it would take?
I did this by myself, laying on the floor in my garage, and it took me 45 minutes stopping for pictures and taking it slow. Could probably be done in 30 min.

I know you said this was from out of the country... could you please tell us how much it cost to get to your door, and maybe a link to the page where you ordered it. Im usually a "Made in the USA" guy, but still looking at all the options.
I also love to support local small businesses and American made products, but in this case, I could not find any American competitive products. The Rubicon Express skids are two pieces and the very front of the engine oil pan skid isn't hard mounted. Everyone else has full underbody kits, and I just didn't need that, nor want to replace my Rubicon skids unnecessarily yet. If Artec sold the front plate alone, I would've jumped on it.

I'm not sure what the rules are on the forum for linking to a product website, but take a wild guess on the URL and you'll get it on the first try. Or Google search Asfir and part number 541155. I bought it directly from their website and received it in just 11 calendar days for less than $250 direct to my door.

Hope that helps! Happy to answer any other questions.

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
Your answered all my questions better than expected. I to am having a hard time finding products. Even though Gladiator's are about a year old since release date, there still isn't a great selection yet like even the JL's have.

Also, yes I found their website and the four products they sell.

Thanks for your response

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I haven't seen a lot of information on Asfir Jeep products, especially for the Gladiator, so hopefully this helps anyone else doing research.

I just installed the 1/4" aluminum engine and transmission skid plate by @asfir_offroad. Purchased off their site at (PN: 541155). Seems like a pretty new product, with more info from the JL folks.

Even on the Rubicon, the new JL/JT leaves the engine and tranny oil pans exposed. I wanted a modular option to keep the Rubicon plates, but there aren't a lot of options for the Gladiator because the motor mounts are different from the JL Wrangler. I'm really only aware of the Rubicon Express plates for the Gladiator, but that requires two plates to cover this space and the engine oil pan plate doesn't mount at the front which worries me a bit.

Thought I'd gamble a bit and try this skid plate is a single 1/4" thick sheet of aluminum (plus brackets) that mounts at the engine mounts up front, the cross member, and then again where the transfer case skid plate mounts to the 2nd crossmember using the two factory bolts in the rear.

It is an incredible value for one solid piece to cover that vulnerable area. It arrived from their factory in Israel in 11 days, and it's a very easy install with basic tools:

• 18mm socket (reuse factory skid bolts) @66ft-lbs (90Nm)
  • 13mm wrench and socket @18ft-lbs (25Nm)
  • 17mm socket with 6" extension for new nuts on engine mount bolts @36ft-lbs (50Nm)
  • Thread locker
  • Torque wrench

Could probably have completed the install in 30min on a lift.

I haven't taken it out on the trails yet, so if anything comes up, I'll come back and post a follow up. Hope this helps anyone else doing research, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Photos!

Congrats ! That looks perfect. I would like to buy that. I have the manual transmission. Do you know if it fits both the automatic and manual transmission ? Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slacks

Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats ! That looks perfect. I would like to buy that. I have the manual transmission. Do you know if it fits both the automatic and manual transmission ? Thanks.
Thanks! The website labels it as AT and 3.6, so it might not work for Manuals. But I sent an email with your question and will follow up with their reply.

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
wish the transfer skid completely replaced the factory skid

OP
OP
Slacks

Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back a response from Asfir on fit for the manual transmission. Only the automatic is imported to Israel, so they haven't been able to confirm or deny that it'll fit yet. So if someone wants to be the brave early adopter, please let us know!

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
I also have a few questions about the after market skids for your JTR. Are you still happy with the Asfir product? Did you add any control arm skids? Some have said the frame side rar lower control arms need protection and have recommended the Rusty’s off road product. I have a JTR with 2.5” lift and 37s and do not plan on hard core off reading.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I helped a buddy install the Asfir engine skid on his JL a month ago and then ordered one for my JT. We could not get it to mount correctly and I emailed the company about it. They wanted pictures so while doing that, I noticed they had labeled the left and right brackets incorrectly. Once I switched them, it was one the truck in 40 minutes or less. It will get its first real test next weekend, but I think it adds a lot of protection for the cost.

OP
OP
Slacks

Slacks

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BW JTR, G8 GXP LS3
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a few questions about the after market skids for your JTR. Are you still happy with the Asfir product? Did you add any control arm skids? Some have said the frame side rar lower control arms need protection and have recommended the Rusty’s off road product. I have a JTR with 2.5” lift and 37s and do not plan on hard core off reading.
After several off-road trips scraping heavily on rocks (still factory Rubicon height), I’m very happy with the skid plate. It’s got some scars and has held up well.

At this time, other than this plate, I only have the front and rear diff plates from Metalcloak, which have also seen some action, but not as much as I’d expected. I don’t have the control arm skids, but I noticed I banged up the fronts a bit. So I do think they’re a good investment, too, and will likely get them soon.

I’ll post some pics later today or tomorrow to give you an idea of what I’ve experienced and put this skid through.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Still waiting on a shipping notice for the engine/transmission plate and the transfer case plate. $400 with shipping included seems really reasonable. I appreciate the weight savings too, since I don't plan to grind over rocks - I just want some warning if something bad is happening!

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
I helped a buddy install the Asfir engine skid on his JL a month ago and then ordered one for my JT. We could not get it to mount correctly and I emailed the company about it. They wanted pictures so while doing that, I noticed they had labeled the left and right brackets incorrectly. Once I switched them, it was one the truck in 40 minutes or less. It will get its first real test next weekend, but I think it adds a lot of protection for the cost.
Hi, I’ve been looking at these seem like an excellent option. I contacted them they said the mounts didn’t support 2021 JT.
Did you mount on a 21, any issues? Thanks!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Hi, I’ve been looking at these seem like an excellent option. I contacted them they said the mounts didn’t support 2021 JT.
Did you mount on a 21, any issues? Thanks!
it mounted to my 2021 Mojave with no issues. Once I switched the bracket sides left-right that is.
Sponsored