Sponsored

At what point are additional skids needed?

DocMcStuffins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I just did Moonlight Madness up to Bald Mountain in my completely stock JTRD, but grew up wheeling in the Sierra Nevadas. I took all "easy" routes, and went slow. Had my whole family in the JT. Finally got it up on the lift yesterday to look at the carnage. I was pretty surprised how much carnage there was!!! Got an immediate approval from the boss (wife) for lift/tires, and probably going to look at differential armor as well.

The irony is that I had Rock Slide Engineering sliders but hadn't installed them, and the stock Rubicon sliders are the only thing that didn't get damaged?!?!

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImage1N3pv4

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImagewQLKuJ

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImageuLbAcR

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImagedjbTkO

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImagePBOunr

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImagepkg0kK

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImage9xnFdx

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImage9NEoNA

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImage7UF5Q

tempImageWgDRTj.png

tempImageUv2w9V.png
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I just did Moonlight Madness up to Bald Mountain in my completely stock JTRD, but grew up wheeling in the Sierra Nevadas. I took all "easy" routes, and went slow. Had my whole family in the JT. Finally got it up on the lift yesterday to look at the carnage. I was pretty surprised how much carnage there was!!! Got an immediate approval from the boss (wife) for lift/tires, and probably going to look at differential armor as well.

The irony is that I had Rock Slide Engineering sliders but hadn't installed them, and the stock Rubicon sliders are the only thing that didn't get damaged?!?!

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImageUv2w9V

tempImageWgDRTj.png

tempImageUv2w9V.png
Looks like you're putting that jeep to good use! On this subject, what are you guys using for touchup on the frame and skid plates? I want to make sure I avoid early rust.

I do think the stock Rubicon skid plates do a great job. After scraping a few times this past weekend (nothing major, no carnage), I definitely want to got up to 35s soon. I really don't want to lift. But I might have to give myself a little piece of mind. I try to pick good lines. But a little more clearance might be nice. I'll start with 35's, and go from there.

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru

Is that 1st picture your gas tank skid plate? Does your Rubicon come with a skid plate for the oil pan and exhaust that crosses over behind the engine?

I guess I might keep my order for those Rock Hard Lower Control arm and shock skid plates after all. 🤯

Glad that I am planning to add some rock sliders for the rear bumper too. I was considering a skid plate that goes into the hitch too, but it sort of has one built in already. What do you think?

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I just ordered Rusty's Rear lower control arm skids. Anyone install these yet? Looks like a challenge getting the nuts inside the frame for the two small bolts.
(stock photo)
ra-js5590-jt-installed-2-wm-web.jpg
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/control-arm-bracket-protection.34641/post-628950
I had to ream out a hole so the bolts would line up (as many others have had to do) and I also am a bozo and had a hard time getting the control arm bolt back through.
I don't know about using the long needle nose pliers or something, but I don't think it was terribly difficult to drop the control arm, reach in and place the forward nut/bolt, then do the back ones.
Hopefully your holes line up better, and don't have trouble with the control arm.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link

need some LCA skids!

Sponsored

DocMcStuffins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that 1st picture your gas tank skid plate? Does your Rubicon come with a skid plate for the oil pan and exhaust that crosses over behind the engine?

I guess I might keep my order for those Rock Hard Lower Control arm and shock skid plates after all. 🤯

Glad that I am planning to add some rock sliders for the rear bumper too. I was considering a skid plate that goes into the hitch too, but it sort of has one built in already. What do you think?
Yes- that was the gas tank skid. It also has a tubular guard for the exhaust/catyalytic which got smushed as well.

As far as sliders for the hitch/reciever, I don't think you'll actually damage >1/2" thick steel but a skid might help prevent hang-ups.

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
Much thanks to the OP & others here.

Pix do express the under side concerns.

Will not lift up but will armor up. Thanks again guys

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Lower front bolt first then upper while control arm is out of the way, then install the bolt. Many of us have had to elongate one hole, a few people actually only installed two bolts. Do one side at a time to help keep the rear end located. They take a ton of abuse!
Not sure what or if you have factory skids, slid under and look. My Rubi has a fair amount of plates already. I make good use out of them, slow and setting down on a skid is a whole lot different than slamming one. That being said, I did lessen my fuel capacity while high centered on the fuel tank skid with all 4 tires in the air. (Winch)
Some of the best advice that I received was to get out there and see what you need before spending a ton of money.
Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? IMG_0052.JPG

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.
[QUOTE
I had to ream out a hole so the bolts would line up (as many others have had to do) and I also am a bozo and had a hard time getting the control arm bolt back through.
I don't know about using the long needle nose pliers or something, but I don't think it was terribly difficult to drop the control arm, reach in and place the forward nut/bolt, then do the back ones.
Hopefully your holes line up better, and don't have trouble with the control arm.
[/QUOTE]

See....there ya go....I was thinking of trying to install with the control arm still in place. Not dropping it. Duh ! surely, the stupid way of trying it. Captain obvious..... thats the answer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
Yes- that was the gas tank skid. It also has a tubular guard for the exhaust/catyalytic which got smushed as well.

As far as sliders for the hitch/reciever, I don't think you'll actually damage >1/2" thick steel but a skid might help prevent hang-ups.
So do you have a skid plate on your Rubicon that goes in front of the skid plate on the transfer case to protect the exhaust that crosses over behind the engine and also covers the oil pan?

I didn't think I would need to add anything to that hitch either.

DocMcStuffins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So do you have a skid plate on your Rubicon that goes in front of the skid plate on the transfer case to protect the exhaust that crosses over behind the engine and also covers the oil pan?

I didn't think I would need to add anything to that hitch either.
No- nothing in front. Oil pan is still exposed.

tempImagentAhbQ.png

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
No- nothing in front. Oil pan is still exposed.

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? tempImagentAhbQ
Hmmm... so what is this "Underbody skid plate" that is listed on Jeep's site as the only skid plate on the Rubicon that is not on my 80th Anniversary? I have skid plates on my fuel tank, transmission, and transfer case from the factory.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Hmmm... so what is this "Underbody skid plate" that is listed on Jeep's site as the only skid plate on the Rubicon that is not on my 80th Anniversary? I have skid plates on my fuel tank, transmission, and transfer case from the factory.
They are referring to the rock rails (also on Mojave and Willys) and the skidplate at the back of the bed, just before the rear bumper.
Sponsored

Last edited: