Sponsored

What additional skid plates should you have?

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
From what I can gather, all Gladiators have the same underbody skid plates from the factory (not counting the bumper skid). If that’s wrong, please correct me.

However, if true, what additional skid plates should I be looking at to cover my bases or am I already good to go for light or occasional off roading?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
FWIW, I’m not looking at those full-body replacements. They’re way more than I need for what I’d do. I’m talking more about augmenting what comes from the factory.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I haven't had mine on the trail yet, but I always look at Diff guards first. Then rock sliders if you're going to be crawling at all.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well it will depend on what you are doing muddy vs rocks. Rocks you want to protection anything that will immobilize the truck oil pan, transmission, T-case, pinions on axles, control arms mounts, and fuel tank. Muffler and tailpipe not as big deal. Now mud that becomes collection point and weight. Rock rails for both I'd think.
Diff guards can be needed depending on what axles you have and how much you use the stupid pedal. Some OEM covers are crap off road in rocks, example AMC 20. My LJ has Rockhard cast covers, XJ rear I welded up a guard for for it. It's took a few good hits.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
From what I can gather, all Gladiators have the same underbody skid plates from the factory (not counting the bumper skid). If that’s wrong, please correct me.

However, if true, what additional skid plates should I be looking at to cover my bases or am I already good to go for light or occasional off roading?
The best way to start is to get under your front bumper and look straight back and everything that sits below the factory skids needs to be protected and I would include the rear hitch due to our length. From there you can add as you find your other hazard areas. I think the factory skids are fine for most unless you plan on hard core Rubicon type trails

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'll quote my own post from another thread, and add I forgot I have a scrape in the Metalcloak rear diff guard. Not a big one.

I added the axle side LCA skids from Rock Hard as well, haven't fitted the shock skids because I had to go buy longer bolts and haven't got around to it.

The only dings I have so far are on the gas tank skidplate (factory), the rear lower control arm frame skids https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-rear-lower-control-arm-frame-side-skid-plates-jt-gladiator.html and the home-made receiver hitch skidplate. I don't see there being a lot to damage if you've wheeled a minitruck before.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Second the lower control arm skids for rear, I bought a pair and am not a rock crawler but it looks expensive hitting them.....Jack

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
1. Rocker guard/Rock Slider. This area is vulnerable and expensive to fix.
2. Frame-side control arm mount skids. The factory brackets hang up on rocks and bend.

Everything else is pretty solid, if we aren’t talking about bumpers...

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
1. Rocker guard/Rock Slider. This area is vulnerable and expensive to fix.
2. Frame-side control arm mount skids. The factory brackets hang up on rocks and bend.

Everything else is pretty solid, if we aren’t talking about bumpers...
Have you had problems with the optional steel bumpers from the factory? I thought the rear bumper looked like it was mounted a little too close to the body, and that dropping down onto to it (coming down off a ledge) might lead to some body damage. The front bumper looks okay. Would like to hear what your experience has been. Getting ready to order...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Have you had problems with the optional steel bumpers from the factory? I thought the rear bumper looked like it was mounted a little too close to the body, and that dropping down onto to it (coming down off a ledge) might lead to some body damage. The front bumper looks okay. Would like to hear what your experience has been. Getting ready to order...
I’ve found the the Rubicon rear bumper and bed rock sliders sufficient, although I’ve really scraped them up, and dented the bottom a bit. I have a stubby front bumper from my old JK on the front, with the stock steel front skid plate. I’ve also hit that pretty hard and am impressed with its strength, but it does hang down just a bit more than I would prefer.

DE7602DB-3D66-499E-9BF7-71728D3AE1AA.jpeg

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I’ve found the the Rubicon rear bumper and bed rock sliders sufficient, although I’ve really scraped them up, and dented the bottom a bit. I have a stubby front bumper from my old JK on the front, with the stock steel front skid plate. I’ve also hit that pretty hard and am impressed with its strength, but it does hang down just a bit more than I would prefer.

Jeep Gladiator What additional skid plates should you have? DE7602DB-3D66-499E-9BF7-71728D3AE1AA
Thanks for the reply!

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Rock Rails and a transmission skid if you have an auto will suffice. Jeep runs the transmission lines in a very precarious position. if you play on the rocks, or even an ill placed branch, could take them out and leave you stranded. Edit: and bed side rails if a non-rubi (but the options are slim pickings right now)
Sponsored

Last edited: