Sponsored

At what point are additional skids needed?

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This past weekend at Rausch Creek I hit every stock skid plate plus the rear diff and hitch skid plates I bought. Frame side lower control arm mounts took a beating, rusty's skid plates next on my list.
Ha! I had the same experience at Rausch this last weekend and my Rusty’s armor for the LCAs just arrived today. I feel ya.
Sponsored

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
Has anyone used the Rock Hard front and rear lower control arm skid plates? I have a set on back order from Extreme Terrain that I just need by early October.

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? RH-80515-2T

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Yes, good kit but the shock skids need longer bolts.

I also had to "edit" the plates that go on the rear axle, but not everyone seems to have that issue.

Have a scrape on the driver side front arm plate, nothing else yet.

DEFINITELY get the Rusty's too for the frame side rear mounts, lots of scrapes on those.

Has anyone used the Rock Hard front and rear lower control arm skid plates? I have a set on back order from Extreme Terrain that I just need by early October.

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor

I had off-road Wherehouse install the full set, including frame mounted skid plates. They said everything fit good. Rock hard off-road is a good company

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Yes, good kit but the shock skids need longer bolts.

I also had to "edit" the plates that go on the rear axle, but not everyone seems to have that issue.
The amount of Jeep aftermarket parts that have to be altered to fit is mind blowing. I think the fact that so many of us "make it work" is why these companies don't fix the problems. But any of us planning on off-roading need them and are going to be inclined to make them work, I reckon.

Sponsored

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
DEFINITELY get the Rusty's too for the frame side rear mounts, lots of scrapes on those.
The Rock Hard kit includes Rear Lower Control Arm skid plates, but the Rusty's Rear Lower Control Arm skid plates cover the opposite end? Should I skip the Rock Hard kit and just get the Rusty's Rear LCA skid plates? It didn't sound like you were getting too much use out of your kit aside from in the front. I see they make the Rock Hard kit with just the front LCA skid plates. Maybe I would be ok with just that and the Rusty's.

I also have a Quadratec engine and transmission skid plate on order after seeing pics in this thread of the crushed exhaust cross pipe that goes in front of the transfer case. Come to think of it, that may have been a diesel and my oil pan seems pretty well tucked up behind the front axle. Anyone think I can skip getting this Quadratec engine and transmission skid plate?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The Rock Hard kit includes Rear Lower Control Arm skid plates, but the Rusty's Rear Lower Control Arm skid plates cover the opposite end? Should I skip the Rock Hard kit and just get the Rusty's Rear LCA skid plates? It didn't sound like you were getting too much use out of your kit aside from in the front. I see they make the Rock Hard kit with just the front LCA skid plates. Maybe I would be ok with just that and the Rusty's.

I also have a Quadratec engine and transmission skid plate on order after seeing pics in this thread of the crushed exhaust cross pipe that goes in front of the transfer case. Come to think of it, that may have been a diesel and my oil pan seems pretty well tucked up behind the front axle. Anyone think I can skip getting this Quadratec engine and transmission skid plate?
The Rusty’s frame-side skids are the most critical on the JT. There is no debate. Maybe someone else will build some that are better?

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
The Rusty’s frame-side skids are the most critical on the JT. There is no debate. Maybe someone else will build some that are better?
I agree. However protecting everything is a good practice

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Keep away from the DV8 front differential skid plate. Absolute garbage design. It clunks and makes contact just going over minor seams on paved roads. I called DV8 and they just told me to put rubber over the areas that make contact?!? I cannot imagine the damage this would do if you actually took it off road. Extreme Terrain was great about returning it though and we talked about other options.

Unfortunately, Extreme Terrain said that the Rancho differential skid plates are only designed for the Rubicon. So it looks like there are no differential skid plate options for the other JT models at the moment. (I have an 80th anniversary.)

I think I might get the Rock Hard Front & Rear LCA skid plates for a trip with Jeep Adventure Academy to the Badlands in Indiana in October.

I bought the DV8 front skid plate, I had the same issues you mentioned, but I was able to dremel away enough material, all on the driver side, where the left retaining strap interferes with the frame side track bar mount and the top part of the plate hits the bolt holding the track bar bolt.

For a lifted JT this is probably not an issue, but for my stock 80th Anniversary it is a problem.

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
Ain't that the truth! I got the front diff skid from Rancho and the U bolt was too short, and then my skid from Rustys was so off-center I couldn't get the side bolt through. Matt from Rancho mailed another U bolt out, which I should have time to try tomorrow. But my guess is they keep making them this way because Jeep folks are inclined to modify if needed and make them work. Maddening.
Short U bolt:
Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? 20210818_181508

Off center hole:
Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? 20210818_181508

I'm trying my Rancho again tomorrow (got the rear diff set too) but supposedly they fit all Gladiators (out side of the part where they send too short of U bolts, etc.). I'll update whether I can make them go or not. I'm going to be irked if they won't.
Do you have contact info for Matt? Surprise surprise my u-bolt is too short for the Rancho front diff glide plate. Thanks!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Anyone have any experience with the skids from Hauk? I like you can get the xfer case and tranny plates sperate.

https://haukoffroad.com/shop-by/jt-gladiator/armor-and-skids/
I don't have personal experience with them on MY jeep yet, but they are a local company in the town I live in, so I'm going to support them for sure. They make these right in Pennsylvania. I saw their skid plates mounted on a JT at the Carlisle Pa jeep show a few weeks back, and they looked great, and they are THICK. The guy I talked with was a machinist and he wheels hard. He was awesome to talk to, and seeing the parts on the JT at the show gave me some confidence to go with them. I should have bought the oil pan and exhaust skid plates right there, but I'll get them on soon. They are very heavy, but that's a good thing when it comes to stuff like this.

Last edited:

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner