Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The only concern I personally have about heat management is all of the exhaust components on my diesel, like the DPF. But protecting those better is the main reason I plan on buying a belly skid. There’s a LiteBrite video recently where a guy smashes the drain cap for his fuel/water separator and they have to keep kluging it down the trail. I’m not trying to deal with that after driving 3k miles across the country.

I’m curious is anyone with a belly skid and the diesel has seen any issues? My truck likes to go into regen on the trail. I wonder how problematic that would be with the skid if at all.
No idea. I like the torque of the diesel, but have no interest in all the extra complexity.
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I opted for the quadratec skids. Theyre aluminum, give decent protection and dont cost 2,500. I just dont see myself truly needing that level of protection. Its kinda hard to me to fathom a full belly skid costing that much to make in the first place. But theyre also quite heavy. Hopefully the quadratec ones work for what I need. Theres a few things I dislike about them, but they seem to be the best middle of the road compromise. Hopefully they get out on next week.

LCA and shock mounts seem to be a forgotten or not cared about area for protection. Which is a shame IMO. Only a couple of the skid options out there offer protection for the exhaust loop.
https://skidrowoffroad.com/collecti...skid-plate-for-jeep-gladiator-jt-2020-present
Its a pretty terrible design by Jeep but probably a necessity for equal length exhaust

Honestly this right here is the primary reason I got skids. Rocks are a given. But its the unsuspecting log that will really ruin your day. Maybe this was something I always considered growing up in the rainforest but not many seem to consider this type of damage.
One little problem with the Skid Row exhaust loop skid is it requires you to remove the “cross arm” that protects the transmission oil pan and can not be put back on. That sorta sucks, also that I didn’t read installation instructions when ordering sucks more. I’m going to try and modify the skid to bolt onto the cross member as I would like it, if it doesn’t work it will get recycled in the scrap bin….Jack

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
One little problem with the Skid Row exhaust loop skid is it requires you to remove the “cross arm” that protects the transmission oil pan and can not be put back on.

I’m going to try and modify the skid to bolt onto the cross member as I would like it, if it doesn’t work it will get recycled in the scrap bin….Jack
Likewise.

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
One little problem with the Skid Row exhaust loop skid is it requires you to remove the “cross arm” that protects the transmission oil pan and can not be put back on. That sorta sucks, also that I didn’t read installation instructions when ordering sucks more. I’m going to try and modify the skid to bolt onto the cross member as I would like it, if it doesn’t work it will get recycled in the scrap bin….Jack
Another option is to go in and get a engine/transmission skid plate like the ones that M.O.R.E makes. This helps protect the transmission lines that hang low and can get caught on tree branches.

I went for the Engine + Transfer case skid paired with the Skid Row Exhaust plate (JL version was $20 cheaper 😛) and I'm very happy with them, engine skid already saved my bacon when I bottomed out in a mud pit a while back, took the hit right were the transmission valve body is located. Would have destroyed my transmission otherwise.

Just get something like the Fumoto valve for oil changes, I learned that the oil WILL splash all over the skid plate and you'll want something you can attach a hose too for mess free changes.

Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread IMG_5592.JPG
Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread IMG_5596.JPG
Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread IMG_5595.JPG
Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread IMG_5632.JPG
Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread IMG_5633.JPG

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Both the Artec skids and the Rock Hard 4x4 skids have been very popular here.

This is the Gladiator forum, but the skids are very similar on the Wrangler JL and that is the one we have the best pics of after a week in Moab and this JL even had 37s on it:

Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread IMG_5633.JPG

That wasn't from thrashing on them, that was doing the challenging trails and sliding along the rocks. So when we got back, we swapped in the Artec Belly pan system (the only one available back then).

Artec Belly Pan kit - Aluminum - JT 3.6:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/skid-plates/jt4150-artec-industries-full-bellypan-skid-plate

Rock Hard 4x4 Belly Pan kit - Aluminum - JT 3.6:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...kid-plate-system-w-dual-crossmembers-aluminum

Rock Hard 4x4 Belly Pan kit - Steel - JT 3.6:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ellypan-skid-plate-system-w-dual-crossmembers

Rock Hard 4x4 Belly Pan kit - Aluminum - JT Diesel:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-complete-bellypan-skid-plate-system-aluminum

Rock Hard 4x4 Belly Pan kit - Steel - JT Diesel:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-hard-4x4-complete-bellypan-skid-plate-system

The Motobilt skids are starting to get pretty popular too because of the amount of coverage they offer, but the currently only have kits for the 2020 Gladiators:
Motobilt Skid Plate System - Steel, unpainted - JT 3.6:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/skid-plates/mb1106-motobilt-skid-plate-system-bare-steel
Alright, so does anyone have any of these skids on a Sport S Ecodiesel? Preferably the Asfir ones. Or any of the aluminum diesel versions. Asfir states it's tested on a Rubicon. Are the Sport S Ecodiesels the same?

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I learned 1 year ago that frame side rear LCA skids are mandatory. Just bought some.... AFTER I smacked both of them a couple weeks ago. I think those should be the first things you buy. I've never hit anything else other than dragging the factory skids here and there.

Artec

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Alright, so does anyone have any of these skids on a Sport S Ecodiesel? Preferably the Asfir ones. Or any of the aluminum diesel versions. Asfir states it's tested on a Rubicon. Are the Sport S Ecodiesels the same?
The Artec Diesel skids work on all Diesel JT's the t case and axle are different in the Rubi vs the sports We have had this one all over Moab, Sand Hollow, and other local trails with zero issues

Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread 1667935133928

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the gasser, but have the next venture aluminum belly skid. I can personally attest to their quality. In fact, their diesel version protects the muffler as well. I’m a bit jealous.

This image is of a diesel with the UHMW option, so you can see coverage.
Jeep Gladiator What Skids Are Necessary? “Can of Worms” Thread 3A05B4FA-3959-4841-993C-0CE032D3B66A

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I learned 1 year ago that frame side rear LCA skids are mandatory. Just bought some.... AFTER I smacked both of them a couple weeks ago. I think those should be the first things you buy. I've never hit anything else other than dragging the factory skids here and there.
When rocks see a JT coming. I think they lick their chops waiting to do damage to those low hanging fruit.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
First, hitch skid. Simple install for a trail, remove when done. Lots of scrapes prevented. Next, the rear control arm and shock skids. For occasional offroad use, these alone take care of lots of problems for a minimal cost in dollars and weight.

I also have bed skids, step rock rails, bumper skid, exhaust loop skid, and front axle disconnect skid. But haven't hit any of these yet after a week offroad. Engine and transmission skids are in the mail.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
I should clarify that I did hit the factory transfer case and fuel skids, so it's not like i wasn't actually offroading. It's just that the hitch skid got hit a lot, and the rear control arms some, so start adding those first.
Sponsored