Sponsored

At what point are additional skids needed?

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
I bought the DV8 front skid plate, I had the same issues you mentioned, but I was able to dremel away enough material, all on the driver side, where the left retaining strap interferes with the frame side track bar mount and the top part of the plate hits the bolt holding the track bar bolt.

For a lifted JT this is probably not an issue, but for my stock 80th Anniversary it is a problem.
I'm glad you had some luck with the dremel. I was getting contact everywhere. They clearly did not field test this product. I will probably get the Rancho Rock sliders and the longer U-bolt.
Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Just a head's up for anyone looking to get Rusty's LCA skids. I was just about to get started on installing these, when I opened the box and noticed they look like raw steel. So much for putting them on today. Guess I'll send them to a powder coat guy and get them coated red to match the Rancho ones.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Man, this LCA skid has been a pain! Certainly not as easy as the front and rear diff. I really don't see how anything is supposed to get behind there. As mentioned in an earlier post, the holes didn't line up on my first set of skids. I got the second set back from Rusty's and the holes appeared drilled out correctly so I sent them off for powder coat. For starters, wish they'd coat these things. Secondly, there were no bolts or mounting hardware included. I don't think most of us have the right bolts just laying around. Add to that, I'm not a mechanic, and wasn't comfortable on dropping the arm, and ignorant on how to. Even with needle nosed pliars I don't think I could even get a bolt in that tight space. Plus the bolts seemed to need to insert at an angle to go through. So I did half-assed job and just torqued the sh*t out of the main bolt. It's on there tight, but I hate having something not done right on my new truck. Maybe this will mean a trip to the 4x4 shop and pay them to get it on right, although I still suspect it will need boring out for the other 2 bolts to go in at a straight angle. If a company charged 1.5x the amount for identical products that were guaranteed to fit perfectly, they're the only ones I would buy anything from.
Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? oDwGHaV

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
I have been to Hot Springs. Did Snake in my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk. It's not super easy but should be easier in the JT than the KL though I did have a rear locker not present in my Willys JT, just a TracLoc. I would recommend rocker protection before additional skid plates. The rocks were wet and slick on my visit.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Man, this LCA skid has been a pain! Certainly not as easy as the front and rear diff. I really don't see how anything is supposed to get behind there. As mentioned in an earlier post, the holes didn't line up on my first set of skids. I got the second set back from Rusty's and the holes appeared drilled out correctly so I sent them off for powder coat. For starters, wish they'd coat these things. Secondly, there were no bolts or mounting hardware included. I don't think most of us have the right bolts just laying around. Add to that, I'm not a mechanic, and wasn't comfortable on dropping the arm, and ignorant on how to. Even with needle nosed pliars I don't think I could even get a bolt in that tight space. Plus the bolts seemed to need to insert at an angle to go through. So I did half-assed job and just torqued the sh*t out of the main bolt. It's on there tight, but I hate having something not done right on my new truck. Maybe this will mean a trip to the 4x4 shop and pay them to get it on right, although I still suspect it will need boring out for the other 2 bolts to go in at a straight angle. If a company charged 1.5x the amount for identical products that were guaranteed to fit perfectly, they're the only ones I would buy anything from.
Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? oDwGHaV
I actually did get hardware with mine, not sure why they didn't send any to you.

Most people just spray paint them with the assumption they're gonna get rashed anyways though so that's why they send them out raw (and to save money of course).

Also, if all you did was torque it tight it's probably not to spec of 190 ftlbs. I'd either buy a torque wrench that can go to at least 200 and torque it up, or go pay someone.

Sponsored

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Most people just spray paint them with the assumption they're gonna get rashed anyways though so that's why they send them out raw (and to save money of course).
Why not leave them red? Looks cool.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
I believe he powder coated them red. They usually come as raw steel, I actually spray painted mine red too as I agree, it looks cool.
I added the Rusty’s LCA skids. Had to drill out one of the holes on each skid. The absolute hardest part was getting the LCA to line back up on one side. Had to rock the tire back and forth while a friend jammed the bolt through. i taped the nuts Over the holes where the smaller bots went - could not get my fingers or a tool behind the bolt hole. installation Of the skid on the other side was apiece of cake (once I drilled out the one hole). For some reason the LCA hole lined right up. May have have been a fluke or may have been because I installed the first pretty much by myself on my garage floor while for the second I put it up on a lift and my friend helped. Primed mine with a self etching primer and then rattle canned with bed liner.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
"I added the Rusty’s LCA skids. Had to drill out one of the holes on each skid. The absolute hardest part was getting the LCA to line back up on one side. Had to rock the tire back and forth while a friend jammed the bolt through. i taped the nuts Over the holes where the smaller bots went - could not get my fingers or a tool behind the bolt hole. installation Of the skid on the other side was apiece of cake (once I drilled out the one hole). For some reason the LCA hole lined right up. May have have been a fluke or may have been because I installed the first pretty much by myself on my garage floor while for the second I put it up on a lift and my friend helped. Primed mine with a self etching primer and then rattle canned with bed liner."

I install the Rusty's LCA skids today as well. I did not have to drill anything. I used small long nose vice grip pliers to hold the nuts. It is tight but it can be done. I started with the small hole towards the front of the jeep. Then the large bolt and the last small nut and bolt. I had trouble getting the passenger side LCA to line up too. I placed a jack under the pinion and it lined up after a couple pumps. I use "STEEL-IT" paint. It is great stuff and close to powder coating. Check it out!

Last edited:

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Is Rusty’s the only company that makes the rear LCA skids?

notoriousms33

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 21 mojave
"I added the Rusty’s LCA skids. Had to drill out one of the holes on each skid. The absolute hardest part was getting the LCA to line back up on one side. Had to rock the tire back and forth while a friend jammed the bolt through. i taped the nuts Over the holes where the smaller bots went - could not get my fingers or a tool behind the bolt hole. installation Of the skid on the other side was apiece of cake (once I drilled out the one hole). For some reason the LCA hole lined right up. May have have been a fluke or may have been because I installed the first pretty much by myself on my garage floor while for the second I put it up on a lift and my friend helped. Primed mine with a self etching primer and then rattle canned with bed liner."

I install the Rusty's LCA skids today as well. I did not have to drill anything. I used small long nose vice grip pliers to hold the nuts. It is tight but it can be done. I started with the small hole towards the front of the jeep. Then the large bolt and the last small nut and bolt. I had trouble getting the passenger side LCA to line up too. I placed a jack under the pinion and it lined up after a couple pumps. I use "STEEL-IT" paint. It is great stuff and close to powder coating. Check it out!
Does anyone have recommendations on a good engine skid plate to protect drag link area where my fox ats stabalizer is?
Sponsored