Sponsored

At what point are additional skids needed?

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
I have a rubicon
Well that adds up. I guess they are just designed for your wider axle on the Rubicon. Not listed as a fitment for other trims like my 80th anniversary. I wonder who will be first to offer some differential skids for non-Rubicon Gladiators.

They are referring to the rock rails (also on Mojave and Willys) and the skidplate at the back of the bed, just before the rear bumper.
The rock rails are listed separately on the website, but maybe it is the skidplate at the back you are referring to. Although I do have a sort of small skid plate built into the bottom of my hitch. Is that what you are talking about?
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Well that adds up. I guess they are just designed for your wider axle on the Rubicon. Not listed as a fitment for other trims like my 80th anniversary. I wonder who will be first to offer some differential skids for non-Rubicon Gladiators.

The rock rails are listed separately on the website, but maybe it is the skidplate at the back you are referring to. Although I do have a sort of small skid plate built into the bottom of my hitch. Is that what you are talking about?
The Rubicons have skid plates right behind the rear wheel, covering ther area between the rear wheel and bumper. That might be the only additional protection on them. It almost looks like a side step for the bed, but doesn't stick out as far.

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
The Rubicons have skid plates right behind the rear wheel, covering ther area between the rear wheel and bumper. That might be the only additional protection on them. It almost looks like a side step for the bed, but doesn't stick out as far.
Bed Side Rock Rails? I plan to get a set of those (especially after the recent pics), but Jeep is talking about something else when they say "Underbody Skid Plate." You didn't notice a skid plate covering anything other than the gas tank, transfer case, and transmission like I have on my 80th anniversary?

That's ok. I can just crawl under the next Rubicon I see to find out what I am missing. When the owner comes out and wonders what the hell I am doing under his Jeep I will just say, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bed Side Rock Rails? I plan to get a set of those (especially after the recent pics), but Jeep is talking about something else when they say "Underbody Skid Plate." You didn't notice a skid plate covering anything other than the gas tank, transfer case, and transmission like I have on my 80th anniversary?

That's ok. I can just crawl under the next Rubicon I see to find out what I am missing. When the owner comes out and wonders what the hell I am doing under his Jeep I will just say, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."
I'll take a pic if I can today. I think we have the same skid plates though, if you don't count the rock rails.

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Jeep is talking about something else when they say "Underbody Skid Plate." You didn't notice a skid plate covering anything other than the gas tank, transfer case, and transmission like I have on my 80th anniversary?
Are you referring to the front skid plate under the bumper? The Rubicons and Mojave's come with a steel front skid plate whereas the Sports have a plastic cover (mostly for gas mileage I assume). My Rubi also has a FAD skid, its pretty weak though so I will be upgrading with the RH one. They also make a skid to protect the drivers side exhaust loop.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the bottom of my Rubicon. There's also the metal skid plate under the front bumper, not pictured.

20210716_174206.jpg

20210716_174213.jpg

20210716_174228.jpg

20210716_174246.jpg

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
That's it! Our transfer case skid plates look totally different and it looks like I have no protection for my transmission compared to your Rubicon, even though that skid plate is listed as standard on the Jeep website for my 80th anniversary, but only listed as available for the Rubicon?? I guess I should really invest in that Quadratec aluminum skid plate that covers the oil pan and transmission.

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? skid plate

OP
OP
TTU03

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
I have the rock hard and rustys lower control arm skids on order. I have enough in the current budget for the metalcloak rear diff protection or the asfir engine/transmission skid. Not sure which of those is the bigger need short term. Both areas look exposed. Overall plan is protection for front/rear diff and a engine skid. No lift planned.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
First pic is factory skids for JTR,
Second is the motobilt wich I have installed and painted black, I wanted the extra coverage,
Third pic is the rusty plate I had to mod on passenger side to fit with the motobilt.
will be installing my rustys and rock hard lower plates here soon been sitting on a shelf for way too long.

DE7DE42C-18EE-4F73-ACF1-7E321A086B2C.jpeg

79BBC6FF-F912-4103-8E28-27D6A97D949B.png

A9D08DEB-19CA-40F1-B04E-96020E5ADFC5.jpeg

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Wishing you luck with fitment. It was not on my side today.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTU03

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
Received my Rustys skids. With limited tools I was able to elongate the two front holes for install. I then hit them with a couple coats of primer and a couple coats of tool box red. Rustoleum products.
Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? 7E6DF5DB-8DBA-40BA-9AE7-D1E09EAC4B38

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
While it's a shame you had to do that to make them work out of the box; looks like you did an awesome job!

OP
OP
TTU03

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
While it's a shame you had to do that to make them work out of the box; looks like you did an awesome job!
I don’t have the tools to get the control arms off and torqued back on. A local shop is going to install them along with the rock hard 4x4 skids. They have a $100/hr shop fee but I don’t think it would take them over an hour on a lift with their air tools. So I eyeballed how large the holes need to be. I hope once the shop gets a hold of them they go on easy enough.
Sponsored